• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jully

Snow making still going on Rime and Reason! Looking at the camera now!

I saw that too just a few minutes ago. Pretty crazy. The peak cam does show some snow down by the bottom terminal of the triple. Almost certainly minimal accumulation, but still great to see!

slatham

You have to give them credit for the go for it attitude. With temps and increased humidity it must be so borderline this afternoon. But they're still blasting!

Jully

You have to give them credit for the go for it attitude. With temps and increased humidity it must be so borderline this afternoon. But they're still blasting!

I'm amazed snow is still coming out of those guns right now!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They have to be trying for tomorrow to still be blowing at this point. North Ridge cam is iced over so it's definitely "marginal" at best right now.

Even if they can't open, this has been one of the most impressive and dedicated snowmaking runs made by any mountain that I've seen.

Newpylong

A few hundred CFM and only 10 gpm (those hydrants are just cracked open) will nucleate in some pretty high wet bulbs. Lotta air and $ for not much to show for it.

They're planning on shutting down this evening if they haven't already.

Last edited:

slatham

A few hundred CFM and only 10 gpm (those hydrants are just cracked open) will nucleate in some pretty high wet bulbs. Lotta air and $ for not much to show for it.

They're planning on shutting down this evening if they haven't already.

Pretty close to the exact opposite of what you want!

Newpylong

Yes the K guns (K2000/3000) were designed and built by Killington many moons ago. Similarly the SR7 aka ASC guns were designed and built by Sunday River many moons ago.

cdskier

So looking at the Northridge cam did K lose a lot with the warmth/fog/rain since yesterday? Or was production just that low to begin with? Or is that camera angle a bit misleading and not giving a good view of what they were able to make?

tumbler

Yes the K guns (K2000/3000) were designed and built by Killington many moons ago. Similarly the SR7 aka ASC guns were designed and built by Sunday River many moons ago.

I think the K guns use more air than the SR7. I liked the SR7, made some good snow.

Newpylong

I would have to look at ours (we have both), but I think the K3000 will take up to 600 CFM if you have it. The K2000 a few hundred.

Never had the pleasure to use an SR7, the closest thing I have used is an Omichron. That's another great gun.

tumbler

I would have to look at ours (we have both), but I think the K3000 will take up to 600 CFM if you have it. The K2000 a few hundred.

Never had the pleasure to use an SR7, the closest thing I have used is an Omichron. That's another great gun.

The SR7 used just a little but lees air than the small ratnik. This was many moons ago so I could be wrong. The SR7 made a nice lighter snow than the ratnicks. I loved the really big ratniks though, they could crank out the snow.

moguler6

So looking at the Northridge cam did K lose a lot with the warmth/fog/rain since yesterday? Or was production just that low to begin with? Or is that camera angle a bit misleading and not giving a good view of what they were able to make?

Sure looks like they lost a lot. They lost everything on Superstar headwall.