• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skiNEwhere

Yea, it was crowded. This is what the line looked like right before the first chair was sent up. But the wait wasn't that bad. The lift line started out with only 3 or 4 queues, which is why the line went so far up the hill. As soon as they opened though, they added more queues.

I took the singles line 6 times, and the longest I waited was 18 minutes.

20171013_085652.jpg

Bostonian

SR's website is showing they are making snow on T2 trying to get open whenever they can. For the first time this year, I am feeling like ski season is nearly on us, with the weather being nice out!

machski

More marketing fluff - they know it's going to be gone in days.
Probably, but even if they just retain a few patches here and there til the next cold snap, it can help with that next effort. They need a strong showing this fall anyway so it is likely money well spent. And not just for public skiing, for their ski camp business from teams as well after last year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Probably, but even if they just retain a few patches here and there til the next cold snap, it can help with that next effort. They need a strong showing this fall anyway so it is likely money well spent. And not just for public skiing, for their ski camp business from teams as well after last year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Publicity for sure. Really nice to see them blowing. Hopefully the next cold snap is extended though so 1) they don't have to throw more money at melting snow and 2) we get to SKI.

I hope they make that picture of the snowmaking into a poster though. Absolutely beautiful.

SIKSKIER

Heres what SR says:Cue the Snowguns

In the early morning of October 17, temps dipped well into the 20's and that was our cue from Mother Nature. Snowmakers blasted the snowguns on T2 until just after sunrise. This wasn't a test (like on September 29). This was the real deal. Despite the warmup we see at the end of the week, we turned on the guns because we promised to make snow at any chance we can. And that's exactly what we're going to do.

Jully

Wow, those leaves are impressive. Haven't even changed here in Southern NY. I think they're gonna fall of the trees green, or brown.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm honestly surprised by the amount of color. I saw a sad picture of a brown Franconia Notch the other day, so I thought we weren't seeing colors like that this fall.

I also love the look of white snow against beautiful foliage. I hope to ski in it soon!