• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cdskier

Wow, those leaves are impressive. Haven't even changed here in Southern NY. I think they're gonna fall of the trees green, or brown.

I'm a bit surprised too. I was up in the Finger Lakes region of NY this weekend and was very disappointed in the colors. Lots of early leaf dropping on some trees combined with green leaves on other trees.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Filter and no filter
dffbedf0e26e3195199665633c860d75.jpg
0f27b6cc54ebde81f61588658c4b92ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Well - Colorado will have a choice of where to go skiing since Loveland is opening on Friday and A Basin is opening more terrain. Day 2 will be in the books on Friday.

A Basin skied really nice last Sunday - never got scraped off and by mid day small bumps were forming on steeperish sections. Got there at 9 and left at 2 had a couple IPA and we got ten runs in. I seems like the man made is drier here and does not refreeze like it does back east - might be in my head.

yeggous

Not so sure. Euro is slowing the front down and it doesn't get solidly cold until Saturday 28th. Lots can change. It does seem some cold air is coming in about day 10 and beyond.

I doubt you'll see skiing on Friday. It's all about the transition at this point. We're too far out to talk details, but there's lot of juice to work with. I posted an update today:
http://www.***************************/blogs/entry/11-october-regime-change/

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I doubt you'll see skiing on Friday. It's all about the transition at this point. We're too far out to talk details, but there's lot of juice to work with. I posted an update today:
I'll take Halloween!

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Nice blog Yeggous. Unfortunately today's models and teleconnections don't look as favorable as they had looked. Transitions like this often come slowly and in steps. But at least it looks like the October heat wave will be broken.

drjeff

Nice blog Yeggous. Unfortunately today's models and teleconnections don't look as favorable as they had looked. Transitions like this often come slowly and in steps. But at least it looks like the October heat wave will be broken.

Yup... Unfortunately this time of year, 10 day out cold trends from the North often get hammered with the influx of warmth, especially as they start drawing in some air from over the warm ocean, as things get closer and closer. And with the ocean temps of the mid-Atlantic and New England running warmer than typical for this time of year (heck, Long Island Sound is still in the upper 60's!) that moderating factor is going to be a playing as the warm to cold transition starts to happen this year....

SIKSKIER

slatham

I found out what happened to that cam.This morning I checked and it was back but its not the same camThis one has a much higher perspective and more to lookers left giving an almost ttb view.I like!http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html

That is awesome. Thanks for point it out. Anyone know what is on the far right lower corner? Looks like a platform or something? Wasn't there last year when I went to WC.

slatham

I found out what happened to that cam.This morning I checked and it was back but its not the same camThis one has a much higher perspective and more to lookers left giving an almost ttb view.I like!http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html

That is awesome. Thanks for point it out. Anyone know what is on the far right lower corner? Looks like a platform or something? Wasn't there last year when I went to WC.