• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slatham

Temperatures are going to be stable today. They shouldn't have to shut off the guns.

Yes looked closer at this and while surface and even 925mb temps look to rise a bit, temps at 850mb are steady, so I would translate that down to the very upper elevations at Killington staying steady. So I agree whatever is running now can keep going, with a move down the mountain late afternoon/evening. Good stuff.

skiur

Rumors are running that K could open tomorrow. Doubt they would make it to the weekend, but could make a day or two.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Rumors are running that K could open tomorrow. Doubt they would make it to the weekend, but could make a day or two.

I read that too...they've yet to blow at the base of the North Ridge chair so I call BS. I think they'll blow thru tomorrow afternoon then push things around for a Thursday opening, close Friday, and re-open for the weekend pending minimum damage from the rain.

Jully

I read that too...they've yet to blow at the base of the North Ridge chair so I call BS. I think they'll blow thru tomorrow afternoon then push things around for a Thursday opening, close Friday, and re-open for the weekend pending minimum damage from the rain.

Video this afternoon showed barely anything on the ground. I think if it was one more day at marginal temps than what we currently have then they'd pull it off. I don't see anything before the weekend sadly.

Higgl

Killington opens with a passholders only day first... Does anyone know if a MAX pass holder counts as a "pass holder?"
I know the Max pass is direct-to-lift.

JimG.

Staff member
Killington opens with a passholders only day first... Does anyone know if a MAX pass holder counts as a "pass holder?"

I do not think K will consider you a pass holder unless you have a Killington branded pass. Not sure the MAX is direct to lift at K either; perhaps it is but it is not at most of the mountains that participate.

chuckstah

Max was not valid on passholder day last year. Likely it will be the same tomorrow??? Or????

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I do not think K will consider you a pass holder unless you have a Killington branded pass. Not sure the MAX is direct to lift at K either; perhaps it is but it is not at most of the mountains that participate.

It is DTL at K. https://www.themaxpass.com/fulfillment/

I don't remember hearing anything last year about whether it was allowed or not... But I would suspect you're right that they don't want anything except Beast branded passes.

machski

It is DTL at K. https://www.themaxpass.com/fulfillment/

I don't remember hearing anything last year about whether it was allowed or not... But I would suspect you're right that they don't want anything except Beast branded passes.
A note about DTL at Killington with Max Pass early season. Last year Max Pass did not load the cards to Killington's system early enough and Max Pass holders had to get a day ticket at customer service in KBL. They were noting Max Pass use manually, this happened the first 2 days I went with the Max last year. I would recommend dropping by Customer Service or make a call first before just heading to K1 or you could be disappointed and turned back to Customer Service.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Killington could possibly try a half day passholder today open, but doubt it. And with NCP forecast tomorrow, they won't open then. Probably Sunday at this point, it is suppose to get quite warm and humid Friday. Best to pass on opening to preserve what they have laid down.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

from the top, on K zone

Can't copy here, but no opening today.

We tried but we didn't have good enough temps up top to get enough snow on Rime. The lower part of the trail does not have enough snow on it to open. We will continue to make snow as long as possible today but we will not get open. Official word will be out soon. We will continue to be aggressive with snowmaking.....

Mike

Vortex

We tried but we didn't have good enough temps up top to get enough snow on Rime. The lower part of the trail does not have enough snow on it to open. We will continue to make snow as long as possible today but we will not get open. Official word will be out soon. We will continue to be aggressive with snowmaking.....

Mike

Thanks,

What I tried to do. My work computer does not like this site.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They're still blowing down to the base of North Ridge and the Superstar/Launch Pad intersection, which surprises me. They were supposed to lose temps pretty quickly this morning. There's essentially no wind on the webcams. That's very good for production.

I'm still betting on a Thursday opening.

Jully

They're still blowing down to the base of North Ridge and the Superstar/Launch Pad intersection, which surprises me. They were supposed to lose temps pretty quickly this morning. There's essentially no wind on the webcams. That's very good for production.

I'm still betting on a Thursday opening.

I'd love to be wrong and have a Thursday opening (because that would mean I could probably ski this weekend/early next week as a non-passholder), but I don't see that at this point. My bet is Sunday at the earliest. I personally hope and plan to ditch work sometime early next week for my first day and then ski the following weekend.

tumbler

Why on the superstar cam is the lift spinning? It was yesterday, this morning and just now when I looked. Seems like unnecessary hours to be putting on it.

doublediamond

To get the snowmakers up. And to keep the grips from freezing in case the wind shifts.