• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chuckstah

I am liking my move to Southern Oregon! Can't wait for Mt Ashland to open but this sounds like the next best thing.

Timberline To Open Palmer For Skiing This Weekend

By Ski Oregon | on October 5, 2017 Feature
unnamed
Weather permitting, Timberline will be opening Palmer on weekends for advanced skiing and snowboarding starting Oct. 7 and 8. Lift tickets will be available for purchase at Timberline’s Wy’East Day Lodge. Get your 2017/2018 Timberline Season Pass and use it this weekend!

Early season snow conditions are exceptionally variable with the possibility of ice in the mornings and thaw in the afternoon. Skiers and riders are urged to use extreme caution. We strongly recommend Palmer for advanced skiers and snowboarders only.

Stay tuned to Timberline Lodge Conditions for future operating times and lift schedule.
Enjoy and post some pics. It will likely be only Palmer to the mid station, but it will be great to get out this early. Think snow.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

I am liking my move to Southern Oregon! Can't wait for Mt Ashland to open but this sounds like the next best thing.

Timberline To Open Palmer For Skiing This Weekend

By Ski Oregon | on October 5, 2017 Feature
unnamed
Weather permitting, Timberline will be opening Palmer on weekends for advanced skiing and snowboarding starting Oct. 7 and 8. Lift tickets will be available for purchase at Timberline’s Wy’East Day Lodge. Get your 2017/2018 Timberline Season Pass and use it this weekend!

Early season snow conditions are exceptionally variable with the possibility of ice in the mornings and thaw in the afternoon. Skiers and riders are urged to use extreme caution. We strongly recommend Palmer for advanced skiers and snowboarders only.

Stay tuned to Timberline Lodge Conditions for future operating times and lift schedule.
Yup I mentioned they are going for the first open steal (post 34) after A Basin mentioned opening in about a week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

skiNEwhere

A-Basin and Loveland look very, very close to opening in the next few days. Was snowing this morning too with temps in the low teens.

A-Basin
arapahoe.jpg

Loveland
Loveland.jpg

dlague

A-Basin and Loveland look very, very close to opening in the next few days. Was snowing this morning too with temps in the low teens.

A-Basin
View attachment 22761

Loveland
View attachment 22760
Plus they made snow all day yesterday through Tuesday morning before day time get unfavorable. Hopefully that does the trick!

BTW this cold air is moving to the Northeast and I bet Killington goes for it next week as well as Sunday River.

machski

Plus they made snow all day yesterday through Tuesday morning before day time get unfavorable. Hopefully that does the trick!

BTW this cold air is moving to the Northeast and I bet Killington goes for it next week as well as Sunday River.

Yes, but it will modify before it gets here and not be anywhere near as cold when it does. K and SR may have a window next week, I don't see them trying the very narrow to likely rain this week.

bigbog

..........BTW this cold air is moving to the Northeast and I bet Killington goes for it next week as well as Sunday River.

Let's hope the cold-to-warm air mass oscillations cease and desist here in the East(...in my dreams, I know:lol:), but those areas near the Divide look so nice.... Think I'll really enjoy the addition of the MaxPass...but I know what's gonna happen after just three days at one area with nice conditions...

Last edited:

slatham

Unfortunately that NE cold shot has been fading on the models and is followed by another warm up. Better signals for a deeper and longer, snowmaking quality shot are circa 10/25 or so. Caveat is that it is a bit away, but its been consistent on the models for several days and other factors - MJO, Teleconnections, re-curving typhoon - have hinted at it for over a week. Biggest question is afterwards - does it go back to a warm pattern, normal, or do we get lucky and we're off to the races? Heck even "normal" and we're off to the races!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I bet Killington blows Monday into Monday night and then again Tuesday. In previous years they'd wait till they saw a window where they'd be able to open but last year they blew in early October on the top half of North Ridge for a night when it was certain they wouldn't be able to open. I think with the World Cup they're just going to blow whenever it's cold enough and hope it doesn't all melt away before the next cold spell.

Smellytele

I bet Killington blows Monday into Monday night and then again Tuesday. In previous years they'd wait till they saw a window where they'd be able to open but last year they blew in early October on the top half of North Ridge for a night when it was certain they wouldn't be able to open. I think with the World Cup they're just going to blow whenever it's cold enough and hope it doesn't all melt away before the next cold spell.

Seeing temps in the 40's for Monday and Tuesday during the day at about 3600 ft. Monday night they could blow.

Jully

My thoughts as well. Definitely blow anytime they can on Superstar (assuming it is more than like a 30 minute window lol). I think they might hold off on North Ridge though. Last year they had a prolonged test in mid-October because they wanted to see if they could blow on the ridge and on SS at the same time (at least that is what I heard).

Hawk

Killington will have Monday night (one night) to blow and then the rest of the week is too warm even at night.

chuckstah

A Basin now. Any longer line and there's no skiing. Just line
f2848cdfae6cda637a64b95484a90654.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app