• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slatham

This is depressing.
That 3" of rain could have been 3 ft of snow!! :(

Its October. 3' of snow in October is the KISS OF DEATH for a good ski season! Remember the Halloween storm of 11/12? Remember the ski season 11/12?

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I see headlamps
522b5c6859de59657e993e77314d497a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

flurries happened at Plattekill today according to face book.

slatham

Guns on at Killington - North Ridge and VERY top of Superstar!

Surprised - I thought tonight they had a chance but not last night. Must be marginal, but better than nothing.

cdskier

Guns on at Killington - North Ridge and VERY top of Superstar!

Surprised - I thought tonight they had a chance but not last night. Must be marginal, but better than nothing.

Summit of Mt Ellen is only 30 right now...can't imagine K is that much colder, so they are really pushing it. Looks like they will take any chance they get now, no matter how marginal.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
They can blow through tomorrow ~noon...the next snowmaking window after that is Friday night and Saturday night. I think a Thursday passholder opening is within the realm of possibility. Unlikely but possible. That'd allow them to be open to the general public for the weekend. More likely is they shut down tomorrow afternoon-Friday and re-build for a Saturday open, or at the latest a Sunday open.

My uneducated, non-insider, don't-kill-me-I'm-no-expert opinion is that there is a 90% chance a ski lift is spinning in the Northeast Sunday... :beer:

slatham

They can blow through tomorrow ~noon...the next snowmaking window after that is Friday night and Saturday night. I think a Thursday passholder opening is within the realm of possibility. Unlikely but possible. That'd allow them to be open to the general public for the weekend. More likely is they shut down tomorrow afternoon-Friday and re-build for a Saturday open, or at the latest a Sunday open.

My uneducated, non-insider, don't-kill-me-I'm-no-expert opinion is that there is a 90% chance a ski lift is spinning in the Northeast Sunday... :beer:

I doubt they can keep the guns going today. Back on tonight, then warm, then back on over weekend - but details critical and far from clear - then warm again, then maybe another cold shot around 11/8.

cdskier

Temperatures are going to be stable today. They shouldn't have to shut off the guns.

If they were marginal to begin with, it wouldn't take much to have to shut down. Mt Ellen summit is up to 31 now (only using them because I don't know of other mountains with summit temps online)

machski

If they were marginal to begin with, it wouldn't take much to have to shut down. Mt Ellen summit is up to 31 now (only using them because I don't know of other mountains with summit temps online)
31 is fine so long as the air is nice and dry. Quite certain they are using K guns and lots of air. I bet they run longer in marginal without skiers on the trail as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Assuming forecast remains true - they won't shut down today if possible, they will run until tomorrow. They are operating in the low to mid marginal range now if humidity remains as is temps can still come up a few degrees. After that next attempt is Sat PM when temps begin to come back down.

They do not foresee being able to lay down enough this week to open but will make the call tomorrow. Winds are gusting to 30 mph in the Glades normally that is beyond that you would bother running in.