• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SnowRider

They really jumped the gun on blowing snow. I get the excitement and pressure to produce for the World Cup, but someone must be capable of reading a weather report over there.

Either way, weather is looking great for next week with the potential for a few around the clock days.

Jully

They really jumped the gun on blowing snow. I get the excitement and pressure to produce for the World Cup, but someone must be capable of reading a weather report over there.

Either way, weather is looking great for next week with the potential for a few around the clock days.

I think they thought there was a good enough chance they could open that they did it. Many years K blows snow for early season and then loses most of it if not all of it. They don't wish for it to happen, but it is not like they weren't expecting to lose all of it.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Superstar spinning again this afternoon. It will definitely be cold enough to blow tonight, but there's a big juicy window of opportunity coming Monday night that will certainly be enough to open with or without tonight.

Jully

Superstar spinning again this afternoon. It will definitely be cold enough to blow tonight, but there's a big juicy window of opportunity coming Monday night that will certainly be enough to open with or without tonight.

I wonder if we will see them make snow tonight on the ridge. I would guess and assume not, especially after being burned trying to open earlier this week. I will not be surprised if they do though.

slatham

While some models show temps are marginal but doable tonight, NWS has K Peak only getting to 32. The dew point is forecast to hit 20 so technically they could make some snow but I doubt it. There is a solid, multi day window - even at base of K1 - next week which will put them (and others) in business. There are longer range indications for more seasonable and maybe colder than normal temps thereafter. It's encouraging that right now the cold next week looks to be earlier and stronger than forecasts from a few days ago. This may be a sea change.

Edit: just saw the cams. Sad. It would appear that this weeks snowmaking did nothing but perhaps lower the temp of the ground where they made snow......

Last edited:

bigbog

Next weekend, following snowmaking on either Thursday and/or Friday..look like possible legit ski days. The temps, at least from Bangor ME forecasters, look good for a day or two here...so the Green Mtns should feel really good.

ss20

K is making snow right now...clear as day on the Superstar cam with the full moon. Also on the report it says snowmaking on the North Ridge trails.

Rumor is the guns on Reason and Superstar were for marketing and they made legitimate snow on Rime...some of which may have survived the warm temps. :dontknow:

ss20

Man...I am PUMPED looking at the forecast! It's hard to believe but one week from now I strongly believe all the early-season players will be open plus a couple other hills that get to blow enough to open because the forecast is just that good!! Killington will probably go top-to-bottom by the weekend which means I'll be looking to get on snow soon! Maybe even a place like Jiminy Peak could open...they'll have the temps for it! This is awesome!!

Smellytele

Man...I am PUMPED looking at the forecast! It's hard to believe but one week from now I strongly believe all the early-season players will be open plus a couple other hills that get to blow enough to open because the forecast is just that good!! Killington will probably go top-to-bottom by the weekend which means I'll be looking to get on snow soon! Maybe even a place like Jiminy Peak could open...they'll have the temps for it! This is awesome!!

K top to bottom by next weekend - I wouldn't get my hopes up to high on that one. I am glad you are a positive person as the internets need more like you.

slatham

I was doubting TBT next weekend but if you take a close look at the GFS, they will be able to make snow to the base of K1 on Mon (late), Tues and Wed night, and then starting Thur night straight through until probably Sunday morning.

They will be able to make snow at the summit, and probably the summit of SS, starting on Monday night 24/7 through next Sunday.

Friday early to Saturday overnight will be ultra efficient snowmaking conditions.

The Euro is colder, longer.....

Thats a lot of time.....

machski

I was doubting TBT next weekend but if you take a close look at the GFS, they will be able to make snow to the base of K1 on Mon (late), Tues and Wed night, and then starting Thur night straight through until probably Sunday morning.

They will be able to make snow at the summit, and probably the summit of SS, starting on Monday night 24/7 through next Sunday.

Friday early to Saturday overnight will be ultra efficient snowmaking conditions.

The Euro is colder, longer.....

Thats a lot of time.....
Can but will they is the question. K seems to like to solidify what they have up top and then and only then start moving downhill. I would be on ski off the K1 but stairs back to start the weekend. Maybe by Sunday all the way down. Want TTB fast? I suggest SR then. Doubt they open first now as nothing was made today but with the temps, I have no doubt TTB next weekend. Maybe even off Barker too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Can but will they is the question. K seems to like to solidify what they have up top and then and only then start moving downhill. I would be on ski off the K1 but stairs back to start the weekend. Maybe by Sunday all the way down. Want TTB fast? I suggest SR then. Doubt they open first now as nothing was made today but with the temps, I have no doubt TTB next weekend. Maybe even off Barker too.

Could even be another TTB opening day for them depending on when they start to blow. Its not like they have a head start on upper T2 right now.

machski

Could even be another TTB opening day for them depending on when they start to blow. Its not like they have a head start on upper T2 right now.
Maybe but I still think Barker base temps will be marginal til late week. Given the temps I see for Tuesday night, they should be able to blow T2 open for Wednesday morning. Time will tell if they do.

drjeff

Hearing some rumblings from my Mount Snow sources that they are very eager to show what their new system can do this week. If so, look for them in the top to bottom equation next weekend....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

IceEidolon

I would have to look at ours (we have both), but I think the K3000 will take up to 600 CFM if you have it. The K2000 a few hundred.

Never had the pleasure to use an SR7, the closest thing I have used is an Omichron. That's another great gun.
SR7 last season on our meter sled was in the high 200-low 300 range. I expect it's big brother wouldn't be more than 700. I've never run a K-gun but SR guns make great snow.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

slatham

Hearing some rumblings from my Mount Snow sources that they are very eager to show what their new system can do this week. If so, look for them in the top to bottom equation next weekend....

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hum, that would be interesting. Given current model runs I'd say they have a solid chance if they are aggressive. While it will be cold enough to make snow early in the week, unfortunately the best of the cold doesn't come until the weeeknd, and the timing will be key, with the Euro early on Friday and GFS overnight Friday (though given yesterday when it completely lost the cold snap I am going Euro).

yeggous

Hum, that would be interesting. Given current model runs I'd say they have a solid chance if they are aggressive. While it will be cold enough to make snow early in the week, unfortunately the best of the cold doesn't come until the weeeknd, and the timing will be key, with the Euro early on Friday and GFS overnight Friday (though given yesterday when it completely lost the cold snap I am going Euro).

This is consistent to what that same crew did at Wildcat on the first year after fixing their snowmaking clusterfuck.

EDIT: I'm calling it: ski season starts this week.
http://bit.ly/2heuBMU

Last edited:

Vortex

Maybe but I still think Barker base temps will be marginal til late week. Given the temps I see for Tuesday night, they should be able to blow T2 open for Wednesday morning. Time will tell if they do.

Heard Some rumblings about wed. I think soft opening Friday. I will be there Friday.

Last edited: