• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'd bet both my pinkie toes that Killington opens Wednesday.

They should be concerned though. They have to be aggressive with top-to-bottom and expansion because there's going to be a lot of competition from other hills this year. If they're not top-to-bottom by Sunday there's a problem...

drjeff

have they finished the dam? Last I talked to anyone down there it was not complete yet.
Dam is finished, West Lake is topped off. The system passed it's testing last week. The proverbial keys were handed over to Mount Snow by the reps from Torrent last week. Game on!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Dam is finished, West Lake is topped off. The system passed it's testing last week. The proverbial keys were handed over to Mount Snow by the reps from Torrent last week. Game on!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I was pretty concerned about a month ago given how dry it was...then it's seemed like it hasn't stopped raining since!

Jully

The River tweeting about opening by the weekend. Not much info there, but I hope they push for a midweek opening if possible. It would be cool to see K and SR open within hours of one another again. What snow K made over the weekend on the ridge, if any sticks around, should give them at least a few hour edge over SR if SR chooses to go for it.

machski

The River tweeting about opening by the weekend. Not much info there, but I hope they push for a midweek opening if possible. It would be cool to see K and SR open within hours of one another again. What snow K made over the weekend on the ridge, if any sticks around, should give them at least a few hour edge over SR if SR chooses to go for it.
I pretty much fully expect that to happen unless this cold shot comes up short initially. Given the temps Friday night (I'm hearing single digits and possible record lows), I am almost expecting TTB on Locke by Saturday midday if not from first chair.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Wildcat is opening Saturday
[FONT=&quot]The Snowmaking Pumps have been turned on. Water is pumping up to the summit. Snowmaking is underway! Saturday is the day! We're planning to open for our 60th Anniversary Season on Saturday, November 11, 2017!! MEOW MEOW...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]More details to follow but right now we're all excited and getting ready to welcome you back. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'll see you on the mountain![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-Nate
[/FONT]

slatham

My bet is K tomorrow (yes, Wednesday) for pass holders and Thursday for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jully

Sunday River got more production than expected last night. Tomorrow or Thursday is a real possibility!

Jully

Sugarloaf blowing snow as well. SL has said they are aiming for Thanksgiving, so I doubt they'll do this weekend, but next weekend is a real possibility.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd bet both my pinkie toes that Killington opens Wednesday.

They should be concerned though. They have to be aggressive with top-to-bottom and expansion because there's going to be a lot of competition from other hills this year. If they're not top-to-bottom by Sunday there's a problem...
I wouldn't count on it. That hasn't been Ks recent operating plan no matter if several other mountains are open or not. Seems they always pound the Ridge solid to have 2-3 options up there. I think I recall one year I was skiing lower East Fall before they had connected to the base on Snowdon. Yet despite getting beat most years with ttb better vertical products by other players, K still does the most early season business

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

I wouldn't count on it. That hasn't been Ks recent operating plan no matter if several other mountains are open or not. Seems they always pound the Ridge solid to have 2-3 options up there. I think I recall one year I was skiing lower East Fall before they had connected to the base on Snowdon. Yet despite getting beat most years with ttb better vertical products by other players, K still does the most early season business

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Early season crowds this year will be interesting. First weekend with skiing in NE this year could see 4 or 5 places throughout NE. Bretton Woods, SR, K, Wildcat, Mt Snow, maybe even more. Should be really nice crowd wise!

I agree that K will probably not be TTB this weekend either. MAYBE Sunday afternoon, but I doubt it.

mriceyman

Early season crowds this year will be interesting. First weekend with skiing in NE this year could see 4 or 5 places throughout NE. Bretton Woods, SR, K, Wildcat, Mt Snow, maybe even more. Should be really nice crowd wise!

I agree that K will probably not be TTB this weekend either. MAYBE Sunday afternoon, but I doubt it.

Yea an abnormal year because k wouldve been open for weeks had it not been for warmth. I like how other mtns are taking advantage of this cold snap

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jully

While it seems amazing with the number of areas opening up together this year, remember today is November 7th and we haven't had any skiing to date. This is rather late for day 1.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

An 11/11 opening is one of the earlier openings for Wildcat, Mt. Snow, and decently average for Bretton Woods though.

While K and SR are late to open because of weather, other places are earlier to open because of the (different) weather happening now!

Smellytele

it's official - 12:24 pm 11/07/17--Its time to get this season started Killington fans. Killington Resort will open for Season Pass and Express Card holders only on Wednesday, November 8. No day tickets will be available on opening day.

Hopefully for all on Thursday