• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who will open First?

First to Open?

• Loveland

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Arapahoe Basin

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Mammoth

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Killington

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Some random ski area I've barely heard of

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlague

Are we talking northeast? Then it will Be Sunday River or Killington as usual. It talking North America - A Basin. But there are an infinite list of opportunities for others. The three mentioned are generally the case.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

skiberg

Loveland. It's always Loveland.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I presume you're right, but their forecast does show ~ 3+ inches over the next week or so. Still, I get it as it's too early, but one can dream!

skiNEwhere

Blowing out the mice I'd suspect, it's going to get really warm in CO next week.

They are blowing snow. Forecast actually shows below average temps with lows in the high 20's to low 30's, so an early opening is not completely out of the question.

I don't think Loveland will open first. They have more acreage to cover than A-Basin.

Domeskier

Blowing out the mice I'd suspect, it's going to get really warm in CO next week.

Looks like CO is going to be under the blow torch again all season. CO skiers are being advised to seek long term rentals in Utah or the Sierras this year.

skiberg

Don't say that I just booked a trip to Breck. I like this forecast a bit better than NOAA. This is from a UK site.

machski

Maybe maybe not.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app
Based on what I saw last season, nothing. I did not see them making snow on more terrain in North Ridge any faster than they usually do. Superstar was lit top to bottom, but public can't touch that til after the Cup. So no, the cup makes no difference on their opening.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Warm next week in the 70's but that is along the 25 from Ft Collins down to Pueblo and east. West into the mountains in the 50's during the day or lowered and cold sub 32 at night. They got this!

There at two very distinct climate areas in Colorado. Eastern below 7000 ft and lower then Mountain 8000ft to 14,000. Blow torch on Ft Collins or Denver means nothing. Blow torch in Keystone well then skiing is in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Methinks Sunday River will have some snowmakers and a video crew on standby Friday and Saturday nights as it may get cold enough for some snowmaking. Long-range this forecast sucks for any chance of cold weather in the northeast. No early or mid October opening this year it looks like.

hot oct.jpg

That's the NOAA temp outlook for October 5-11. 70%+ chance of above average temps.