Ski Magazine 2017-18 Eastern Resort Rankings - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Wow, people really hate Vail.

Stowe at #8 may as well be #78.
    Actually many surveys were submitted BEFORE Vail bought Stowe. Complaints about pricing were one of the reasons for it being lower on the list. Apparently parking was also a complaint in the surveys.

https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-life/stowe-vermont

Wow, people really hate Vail.

Stowe at #8 may as well be #78.
    Has nothing to do with Vail but more to do with how much it costs to ski there IMO prior to Vail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

You know why these are always BS, the picture they use for the No. 1 resort Smuggler's Notch, actually shows the trails on Stowe in the background...

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Actually many surveys were submitted BEFORE Vail bought Stowe. Complaints about pricing were one of the reasons for it being lower on the list. Apparently parking was also a complaint in the surveys.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Has nothing to do with Vail but more to do with how much it costs to ski there IMO prior to Vail.
    Stowe has always been the most expensive area in the east. Why would that plummet them specifically this year?

Unless I have this silly survey confused with a different silly survey, Stowe's normally top-5.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Stowe has always been the most expensive area in the east. Why would that plummet them specifically this year?

Unless I have this silly survey confused with a different silly survey, Stowe's normally top-5.
    People finally got tired of it? Different people submitting the survey? Less people submitting surveys in general for Stowe? More people submitting surveys for other areas? Who really knows? Without knowing the details on the methodology of how they tabulate results, who submits surveys, how many were submitted, etc, then I really wouldn't put much stock in this survey to begin with (Holiday Valley used to be top 5 for years which was just bizarre to me).

In terms of amenities, and great skiing for all levels, it's hard for me not to think Stowe is top 3 at least. Really, probably #1 actually.

Sure, it's expensive, but I think it's really the best all around experience. (Mind you, I've never stayed on the resort, but have spent time at the restaurant,s lodges etc....)

Midweek I'd say Stowe is about as good as it gets in the East. Weekends? I don't really have much interest in waiting in a 30+ minute traffic jam to park my car. I lived in Stowe for many years. All of my old friends completely avoid the mountain on the weekends these days. Some of those friends work in Real Estate and as I've mentioned before they are seeing long term second home owners looking to cash out and move down the road to Sugarbush for less traffic.

I suspect Stowe's drop in rankings is because it's a victim of its own success. That said, these lists/surveys are always a crap shoot. It will probably be ranked #1 next year without changing a thing and Mountain Snow will be back in the teens.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Midweek I'd say Stowe is about as good as it gets in the East. Weekends? I don't really have much interest in waiting in a 30+ minute traffic jam to park my car. I lived in Stowe for many years. All of my old friends completely avoid the mountain on the weekends these days. Some of those friends work in Real Estate and as I've mentioned before they are seeing long term second home owners looking to cash out and move down the road to Sugarbush for less traffic.

I suspect Stowe's drop in rankings is because it's a victim of its own success. That said, these lists/surveys are always a crap shoot. It will probably be ranked #1 next year without changing a thing and Mountain Snow will be back in the teens.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Yeah, the access road can be a drag, but, you know, the lifts seem to gobble up the lines. There might be a jam at the 4-runner and Gondi from like 10-11:30, but most weekends I've been there, somehow, they all magically ease up at lunch and doesn't really get bad again.

Never been on Pres. day, or other big holidays. Skied a few days over X-mas a few years ago, but crap conditions kept crowds low regardless of the holiday.

But yeah, point taken on the car traffic. God forbid someone break down at 4:30 PM on the way out....My friend, who has a place up there, was telling me they once came off the mountain at 4:15, had a drink in the shed, looked outside and saw the access road backed up all the way to the lots. People were stuck in the parking lots trying to leave. They just went over to spruce, had dinner, walked around for a bit, and traffic finally started moving at like 7-8PM. A car crash in the middle of the access road just blew up the whole place.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    long term second home owners looking to cash out and move down the road to Sugarbush
    Wow. That's interesting, and not good.

What about the taxes though, in the last 10 or 15 years Vermont has begun to punish those people like they're human rights abusers. I imagine that's gotta' be hurting the 2nd home purchase market as well.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

What about the taxes though, in the last 10 or 15 years Vermont has begun to punish those people like they're human rights abusers. I imagine that's gotta' be hurting the 2nd home purchase market as well.
    Your obsessed with this Vermont tax thing. This has nothing to do with Vermont taxes.

Thread Information