Transitioning to skis...

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transitioning to skis...

So, I've snowboarded for a little over half my life (now 32) and I have skied a couple times when I was younger and still trying to decide which one I wanted to do. This year, something in me is making me want to try again only this time actually stick with it. I have no intention of quitting snowboarding, but I think it's more of a drive to expand my abilities since I've progressed about as far as I'm going to on a snowboard, short of risking severe injury. With that said, I have a few questions for the folks here while I wait for my regional shops to open. Boots seem to be my biggest concern. I've always gotten the feeling there's less margin for error with ski boots since they're much less comfortable. Can I more or less go with my snowboard boot size or do I need to pay more attention to this comfort fit vs performance fit thing? With snowboard boots, many make the mistake of going with their street size but that's not the case here. I've measured my foot exactly both length and width so I have my mondopoint and width down to a T, but how does this translate to ski boots? If I rock a 27.0/9 snowboard boot with normal width, can I safely assume a 27.0 ski boot will be what I need? Of course I plan to go to some shops soon, but I just thought I'd ask since I'm effectively starting almost from scratch here.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Check out Apex Ski Boots, from what I hear they don't suck. You can use the same boots on your snowboard, so might be a good investment.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Check out Apex Ski Boots, from what I hear they don't suck. You can use the same boots on your snowboard, so might be a good investment.
    Yeah seen them. They seem nice. Pretty expensive though. Maybe once I get better at skiing. For now, I was looking at Full Tilt descendants because from what I hear they're quite comfortable as ski boots go, but alas gotta find a store that actually carries FTs.

No, you definitely cant assume same size. The hard boot needs a snugger fit. The boot does a lot more in skiing than in boarding. Also, very important will be the width of the boot. You need to make sure width and sizing are spot on. Take out liner and shell size yourself. Put foot in shell, push toward front and you should be able to fit two fingers behind your heel. Generally, more than that is too big, less that too small, but only guidelines. Best advice, make sure to buy from a quality ski shop and bootfitter. In skiing, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Do not be seduced into buying great skis and ill-fitting boots. this is not an exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by skiberg View Post
    No, you definitely cant assume same size. The hard boot needs a snugger fit. The boot does a lot more in skiing than in boarding. Also, very important will be the width of the boot. You need to make sure width and sizing are spot on. Take out liner and shell size yourself. Put foot in shell, push toward front and you should be able to fit two fingers behind your heel. Generally, more than that is too big, less that too small, but only guidelines. Best advice, make sure to buy from a quality ski shop and bootfitter. In skiing, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Do not be seduced into buying great skis and ill-fitting boots. this is not an exaggeration.
    Yeah, that's about what I figured. I used to be a snowboard boot fitter in a shop so I'm pretty familiar with all of that. I don't always rely on shops either because I've gone to a few just to kinda test their knowledge and I'd say it's a good 50/50 whether they know what they're talking about or not. Kinda why I'm here ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Bataleon85 View Post
    Full Tilt descendants
    I just bought new boots a few weeks ago. The Descendants were on my list to check out but I heard about them breaking too much. Problems with the tongue and where it connects to the toe and also with the buckles.

Ended up getting Dalbello Panterra 120 ID which is also a cabrio / 3 piece design but hopefully a more durable boot.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Your gear advice is worse than cancer.
    "For example, I ski without a helmet and with bindings that basically don't release." - Highway Star

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star View Post
    Your gear advice is worse than cancer.
    Hahaha... They look like a good idea in theory, but I feel like they're more novelty than practical.

Did some boot shopping today and my God FT boots are the most uncomfortable sumbitches I've ever seen. Wound up going with some Nordica Cruise 80s in a 27.0. They feel like a dream (better than a lot of snowboard boots even) and I figure the mid flex will suit me as the mixed park rat/carver that I am. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Items for Sale
    Skiing never gets old.... Yes, every message to your skis is transmitted through the boots...
    SteveD

Thread Information