Transitioning to skis... - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by skiberg View Post
    No, you definitely cant assume same size. The hard boot needs a snugger fit. The boot does a lot more in skiing than in boarding. Also, very important will be the width of the boot. You need to make sure width and sizing are spot on. Take out liner and shell size yourself. Put foot in shell, push toward front and you should be able to fit two fingers behind your heel. Generally, more than that is too big, less that too small, but only guidelines. Best advice, make sure to buy from a quality ski shop and bootfitter. In skiing, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Do not be seduced into buying great skis and ill-fitting boots. this is not an exaggeration.
    Interesting idea about sizing.In the 40 years of skiing I never done that - makes me want to go home an pull the shell out. Personally, the best approach is actually trying them on with the liner. I agree with your comments on width -
    there are boots with a variety of widths which should be considered based on whether your foot is narrow feet vs wide feet. As far as the toe box, well that is a matter of preference - some like to cram the toe others like snug and others like some room - I am the later because I hate toe bang and I hate cold feet.

Full Tilt Descendants are a nice boot - soft on flex but if you want to stiffen them up you can buy a new tongue. It is a great start - it is also on the wider side of the toe box spectrum.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I just bought new boots a few weeks ago. The Descendants were on my list to check out but I heard about them breaking too much. Problems with the tongue and where it connects to the toe and also with the buckles.

Ended up getting Dalbello Panterra 120 ID which is also a cabrio / 3 piece design but hopefully a more durable boot.
    wow that is quite a switch Full Tilt Descendants are certainly softer than the Dalbello Panterra 120.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

The Descendants felt awful. Very hard pressure point right under the ball of my foot and yeah they had way too many extra parts most boots don't. Seemed like breakage waiting to happen. Hence my going with the Nordica cruises. They feel like a dream and have a traditional build so... Figured for $120 can't go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Items for Sale
    Bataleon85,
    If you, at some time, have some issue(s) that develop....some bootguys who hold a title of Pedorthist are great to set up a session with just to have him or his staff measure you up to at least let you know of any alignment and fit issues that may be happenning...
    They can save you a LOT of wasted time and single out the key issues that may be happenning whenever.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Bataleon85,
    Some bootguys who hold a title of Pedorthist are great to set up a session with just to have him or his staff measure you up to at least let you know of any alignment and fit issues that may be happenning...
    I don't mean to be a contrarian, but I have done extensive homework with my snowboard boot fitment and I haven't had any issues with my feet in that school. Granted, I haven't spent as much time in ski boots but I know there aren't any underlying issues with my feet. It's just a matter of personal preference at this point. My feet don't like the full tilts, but they like the Nordicas just fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thread Information