• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Transitioning to skis...

Bataleon85

So, I've snowboarded for a little over half my life (now 32) and I have skied a couple times when I was younger and still trying to decide which one I wanted to do. This year, something in me is making me want to try again only this time actually stick with it. I have no intention of quitting snowboarding, but I think it's more of a drive to expand my abilities since I've progressed about as far as I'm going to on a snowboard, short of risking severe injury. With that said, I have a few questions for the folks here while I wait for my regional shops to open. Boots seem to be my biggest concern. I've always gotten the feeling there's less margin for error with ski boots since they're much less comfortable. Can I more or less go with my snowboard boot size or do I need to pay more attention to this comfort fit vs performance fit thing? With snowboard boots, many make the mistake of going with their street size but that's not the case here. I've measured my foot exactly both length and width so I have my mondopoint and width down to a T, but how does this translate to ski boots? If I rock a 27.0/9 snowboard boot with normal width, can I safely assume a 27.0 ski boot will be what I need? Of course I plan to go to some shops soon, but I just thought I'd ask since I'm effectively starting almost from scratch here.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Check out Apex Ski Boots, from what I hear they don't suck. You can use the same boots on your snowboard, so might be a good investment.

Bataleon85

Check out Apex Ski Boots, from what I hear they don't suck. You can use the same boots on your snowboard, so might be a good investment.
Yeah seen them. They seem nice. Pretty expensive though. Maybe once I get better at skiing. For now, I was looking at Full Tilt descendants because from what I hear they're quite comfortable as ski boots go, but alas gotta find a store that actually carries FTs.

skiberg

No, you definitely cant assume same size. The hard boot needs a snugger fit. The boot does a lot more in skiing than in boarding. Also, very important will be the width of the boot. You need to make sure width and sizing are spot on. Take out liner and shell size yourself. Put foot in shell, push toward front and you should be able to fit two fingers behind your heel. Generally, more than that is too big, less that too small, but only guidelines. Best advice, make sure to buy from a quality ski shop and bootfitter. In skiing, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Do not be seduced into buying great skis and ill-fitting boots. this is not an exaggeration.

Bataleon85

No, you definitely cant assume same size. The hard boot needs a snugger fit. The boot does a lot more in skiing than in boarding. Also, very important will be the width of the boot. You need to make sure width and sizing are spot on. Take out liner and shell size yourself. Put foot in shell, push toward front and you should be able to fit two fingers behind your heel. Generally, more than that is too big, less that too small, but only guidelines. Best advice, make sure to buy from a quality ski shop and bootfitter. In skiing, this is the single most important piece of equipment. Do not be seduced into buying great skis and ill-fitting boots. this is not an exaggeration.
Yeah, that's about what I figured. I used to be a snowboard boot fitter in a shop so I'm pretty familiar with all of that. I don't always rely on shops either because I've gone to a few just to kinda test their knowledge and I'd say it's a good 50/50 whether they know what they're talking about or not. Kinda why I'm here ha...

bdfreetuna

Full Tilt descendants

I just bought new boots a few weeks ago. The Descendants were on my list to check out but I heard about them breaking too much. Problems with the tongue and where it connects to the toe and also with the buckles.

Ended up getting Dalbello Panterra 120 ID which is also a cabrio / 3 piece design but hopefully a more durable boot.

Bataleon85

Did some boot shopping today and my God FT boots are the most uncomfortable sumbitches I've ever seen. Wound up going with some Nordica Cruise 80s in a 27.0. They feel like a dream (better than a lot of snowboard boots even) and I figure the mid flex will suit me as the mixed park rat/carver that I am. Thanks for the feedback guys.

dlague

Interesting idea about sizing.In the 40 years of skiing I never done that - makes me want to go home an pull the shell out. Personally, the best approach is actually trying them on with the liner. I agree with your comments on width -
there are boots with a variety of widths which should be considered based on whether your foot is narrow feet vs wide feet. As far as the toe box, well that is a matter of preference - some like to cram the toe others like snug and others like some room - I am the later because I hate toe bang and I hate cold feet.

Full Tilt Descendants are a nice boot - soft on flex but if you want to stiffen them up you can buy a new tongue. It is a great start - it is also on the wider side of the toe box spectrum.

dlague

I just bought new boots a few weeks ago. The Descendants were on my list to check out but I heard about them breaking too much. Problems with the tongue and where it connects to the toe and also with the buckles.

Ended up getting Dalbello Panterra 120 ID which is also a cabrio / 3 piece design but hopefully a more durable boot.

wow that is quite a switch Full Tilt Descendants are certainly softer than the Dalbello Panterra 120.

Bataleon85

The Descendants felt awful. Very hard pressure point right under the ball of my foot and yeah they had way too many extra parts most boots don't. Seemed like breakage waiting to happen. Hence my going with the Nordica cruises. They feel like a dream and have a traditional build so... Figured for $120 can't go wrong.

bigbog

Bataleon85,
If you, at some time, have some issue(s) that develop....some bootguys who hold a title of Pedorthist are great to set up a session with just to have him or his staff measure you up to at least let you know of any alignment and fit issues that may be happenning...
They can save you a LOT of wasted time and single out the key issues that may be happenning whenever.

Bataleon85

Bataleon85,
Some bootguys who hold a title of Pedorthist are great to set up a session with just to have him or his staff measure you up to at least let you know of any alignment and fit issues that may be happenning...
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but I have done extensive homework with my snowboard boot fitment and I haven't had any issues with my feet in that school. Granted, I haven't spent as much time in ski boots but I know there aren't any underlying issues with my feet. It's just a matter of personal preference at this point. My feet don't like the full tilts, but they like the Nordicas just fine.