Top Ten Most Challenging Resorts in North America (another list)

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Top Ten Most Challenging Resorts in North America (another list)

This list originally put out by USA Today so that probably says a lot. However, Smuggs was #6 and the only northeast resort to which I have a little problem with. I am not sure I see Smuggs as the most challenging in New England for that matter. They do have many great runs I will give them that but .... Ok, I get it, they have a triple black - The Black Hole. It is challenging but it is not like your skiing at high speeds. In fact, many side slip it or do a single turn at a time. Bear Peak at Killington is more challenging IMO or DJ's Tramline at Cannon or Goat at Stowe and I could name more.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/0...g-to-usatoday/

Which do you think is the most challenging Resort in New England? You can't judge by the trail map because some resorts only go as high as a single black diamond like Jay Peak and Cannon.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    This list originally put out by USA Today so that probably says a lot. However, Smuggs was #6 and the only northeast resort to which I have a little problem with. I am not sure I see Smuggs as the most challenging in New England for that matter. They do have many great runs I will give them that but .... Ok, I get it, they have a triple black - The Black Hole. It is challenging but it is not like your skiing at high speeds. In fact, many side slip it or do a single turn at a time. Bear Peak at Killington is more challenging IMO or DJ's Tramline at Cannon or Goat at Stowe and I could name more.

Which do you think is the most challenging Resort in New England? You can't judge by the trail map because some resorts only go as high as a single black diamond like Jay Peak and Cannon.
    I'd say Stowe - Front 4, plus , and a never ending lineup of steep, tight glades. Throw in the Chin, and the out of bounds stuff....I vote Stowe.

Stratton on winter break is a close second.

I would think the New England list would have Smuggs, Stowe, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf. I have heard that MRG is challenging, but I wouldn't know.

It's hard to quantify. How would you tell? Most difficult single pitch / single run? Overall percentage of difficult trails? How do we rate steep cut trails vs. glades? Do we rate a mountain "easier" if they get good snow? Boilerplate is more difficult than real snow for sure.

Smuggs deserves points off for that "triple black diamond" hooey. A triple black diamond trail sounds like something you'd say to tease a beginner at the bar. That's nothing -- my local sledding hill has 5 black diamonds and two skulls!

Quote Originally Posted by shwilly View Post
    I would think the New England list would have Smuggs, Stowe, Sugarbush, and Sugarloaf. I have heard that MRG is challenging, but I wouldn't know.

It's hard to quantify. How would you tell? Most difficult single pitch / single run? Overall percentage of difficult trails? How do we rate steep cut trails vs. glades? Do we rate a mountain "easier" if they get good snow? Boilerplate is more difficult than real snow for sure.

Smuggs deserves points off for that "triple black diamond" hooey. A triple black diamond trail sounds like something you'd say to tease a beginner at the bar. That's nothing -- my local sledding hill has 5 black diamonds and two skulls!
    Yeah, MRG I would call every bit as challenging as Stowe, but there just isn't as much of it - or maybe there is and I just don't know it.

Likewise, Jay....I'm sure there is a ton off the Tram that is wicked tough, but I've never been when the Tram line isn't to the moon, so.....

Why no hunter. Snowbird has nothing on belt Parkway at 3:00pm on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Why no hunter. Snowbird has nothing on belt Parkway at 3:00pm on a Saturday.
    Shawnee Mountain in PA on Presidents Day weekend. Doesn't get tougher than that.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post

So it sounds like the author Googled "triple black diamond New England" and found Smuggs. That was the extent of their research. The list should have MRG, Stowe, Killington/Pico, and Sugarbush on it as well.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Not a bad list, threw an East Coast one on so we would have something to talk about. I would replace Smuggs with Silverton.

To difficult to quantify. You could look at it as total acreage of challenging terrain or simply judging a place by it's most challenging on map line. If you are going by the latter I would rank Smuggs and Cannon tied for the top spot in the East as IMO the two most difficult marked runs in New England are Madonna liftline at Smuggs and DJs at Cannon

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I have skied at every ski area in VT, and Killington and Jay Peak are head and shoulders above any other are in terms of challenge.

At Killington you have the following double black diamond runs (12) ; Devils Fiddle, Outer Limits, Vertigo, Superstar, Ovation, Escapade, Cascade, Flume, Downdraft, Double Dipper, Big Dipper, and Conclusion, plus many more single blacks. That does not include the many glades on the map and off the map.

Jay Peak is the closest thing we have on the east coast that compares to skiing out west.

While I love skiing at Mt. Snow, Okemo, MRG, Sugarbush, Smuggs and Stowe, they do not offer the quantity and variety of retain that Killington and Jay offer.

Thread Information