Bicknells thrush no longer endangered - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Praise be to Jesus, this is fantastic news!!!!

This species was used speciously!

Bicknell's thrush was used by an abuse of the endangered species act by environmental extremists and wack-jobs in a manner to shut down ALL development and so much as cutting down a single tree. This is NOT how the Endangered Species Act was intended to be used, it was supposed to be used for truly endangered animals like the California condor or Green turtles, etc.... Several years back I wrote about how ridiculous the protections for this clearly non-endangered bird are.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    I guess Bricknells Thrush extermination solutions is going to shut down soon.
    Nonsense.

We remain vigilant and on guard, because within a few months the eco-extremists in Vermont will magically have a new "study" showing XYZ critter that lives in the woods is coincidentally also "threatened" and use it to shut down development the same way they deceptively used Bicknell's Thrush.

Quote Originally Posted by MG Skier View Post
    I thought I would be retired when/if Jay Peaks West Bowl opened...
    Jay Peak better move FAST.......REAL fast, on this or it's never going to happen. I'd have the chainsaws running A.S.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Nonsense.

We remain vigilant and on guard, because within a few months the eco-extremists in Vermont will magically have a new "study" showing XYZ critter that lives in the woods is coincidentally also "threatened" and use it to shut down development the same way they deceptively used Bicknell's Thrush.

Jay Peak better move FAST.......REAL fast, on this or it's never going to happen. I'd have the chainsaws running A.S.A.P.
    Actually this is how the process is supposed to work. The thrush was a poorly understood species and concerns were raised back in the late 1990's. It was studied and not declared eligible for an endangered listing.
    And on the seventh day, Ullr created Magic Mountain...

Nonsense.

You know it's funny that I have the exact opposite feeling about this. Those restrictions have forced the mountains to not go in and completely dumb down the woods for all the intermediates. It has kept some of the best woods skiing off the radar and thus mostly unspoiled. As soon a the mountain goes in and clears areas, everybody knows about it and goes in. This is totally what happened at many places at sugarbush. I for one do not want the mountain doing any cutting and if it takes a bird to stop them then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You know it's funny that I have the exact opposite feeling about this. Those restrictions have forced the mountains to not go in and completely dumb down the woods for all the intermediates. It has kept some of the best woods skiing off the radar and thus mostly unspoiled.
    Not at Jay Peak. The area in question would become lift-served and actually used. And if you've seen how the crowds at Jay Peak have exploded the last 3 or 4 years, you'd know they could use extra tree skiing at this point. That are is so gigantic it would take a LONG time for it to be significantly skied off, especially what all all the existing tree skiing at Jay Peak. And I really doubt Jay Peak would ever "dumb down the woods", that's really not Jay's style.

I guess Jay is a good exception. I agree that they have become overcrowded and the total area of the resort is small in comparison to other resorts. They could use more terrain. I was more referring to areas that have existing woods that are not on the map.

It'll take a good winter, but if we have a profitable season this year, I wonder if places previously hampered by the bird will try and put something together next year.

Its not the bird holding back west bowl development.
    West bowl is a head water area, a subwatershed of Missisquoi Watershed.
    Pristine habitat that is also very wet. Despite past suggestions that this was to be developed, it is unlikely at this point IMO.
    The skiing is very good as there is a huge amount of snow there, not too steep however. Intermediate glades would be a good description. easy tour if you are so inclined.

Nonsense.

XYZ = Canada Lynx. An endangered species which seems to be found in potential sites for ski area expansion not only in Vermont, but Colorado as well.
    2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Not at Jay Peak. The area in question would become lift-served and actually used. And if you've seen how the crowds at Jay Peak have exploded the last 3 or 4 years, you'd know they could use extra tree skiing at this point. That are is so gigantic it would take a LONG time for it to be significantly skied off, especially what all all the existing tree skiing at Jay Peak. And I really doubt Jay Peak would ever "dumb down the woods", that's really not Jay's style.
    +1 I enjoy the opportunities I get to visit Jay. I love the trees but can't "hang" in many of their glades due to the pitch, I am a young tree skier with a grey beard! Jay could use new terrain to spread out the crowds. The last version of the West Bowl looked like it would do the trick.
    Ski it like you stole it!

Thread Information