• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bicknells thrush no longer endangered

skiberg

The Thrush is no longer considered endangered. What will his mean for NE skiing. Cannon had a lot of restrictions due to the bird. I don't think they apply any longer. I wonder what this means for Mittersill and other areas affected by the prior species designation.

skiberg

There are entire areas at ski hills where development, glades, lifts, expansion has been prohibited. This could be quite significant.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where did you read this information?

Care to share a link?

I want to pass this along to the USFS and Wildcat! They have zero developed upper mountain glades due to that freaking bird. This despite having vast acreage of terrain to work with. They need to get their ass to work now!

BenedictGomez

Praise be to Jesus, this is fantastic news!!!!

This species was used speciously!

Bicknell's thrush was used by an abuse of the endangered species act by environmental extremists and wack-jobs in a manner to shut down ALL development and so much as cutting down a single tree. This is NOT how the Endangered Species Act was intended to be used, it was supposed to be used for truly endangered animals like the California condor or Green turtles, etc.... Several years back I wrote about how ridiculous the protections for this clearly non-endangered bird are.

BenedictGomez

I guess Bricknells Thrush extermination solutions is going to shut down soon.

Nonsense.

We remain vigilant and on guard, because within a few months the eco-extremists in Vermont will magically have a new "study" showing XYZ critter that lives in the woods is coincidentally also "threatened" and use it to shut down development the same way they deceptively used Bicknell's Thrush.

I thought I would be retired when/if Jay Peaks West Bowl opened...

Jay Peak better move FAST.......REAL fast, on this or it's never going to happen. I'd have the chainsaws running A.S.A.P.

skimagic

Nonsense.

We remain vigilant and on guard, because within a few months the eco-extremists in Vermont will magically have a new "study" showing XYZ critter that lives in the woods is coincidentally also "threatened" and use it to shut down development the same way they deceptively used Bicknell's Thrush.

Jay Peak better move FAST.......REAL fast, on this or it's never going to happen. I'd have the chainsaws running A.S.A.P.

Actually this is how the process is supposed to work. The thrush was a poorly understood species and concerns were raised back in the late 1990's. It was studied and not declared eligible for an endangered listing.

Hawk

Nonsense.

You know it's funny that I have the exact opposite feeling about this. Those restrictions have forced the mountains to not go in and completely dumb down the woods for all the intermediates. It has kept some of the best woods skiing off the radar and thus mostly unspoiled. As soon a the mountain goes in and clears areas, everybody knows about it and goes in. This is totally what happened at many places at sugarbush. I for one do not want the mountain doing any cutting and if it takes a bird to stop them then so be it.

BenedictGomez

You know it's funny that I have the exact opposite feeling about this. Those restrictions have forced the mountains to not go in and completely dumb down the woods for all the intermediates. It has kept some of the best woods skiing off the radar and thus mostly unspoiled.

Not at Jay Peak. The area in question would become lift-served and actually used. And if you've seen how the crowds at Jay Peak have exploded the last 3 or 4 years, you'd know they could use extra tree skiing at this point. That are is so gigantic it would take a LONG time for it to be significantly skied off, especially what all all the existing tree skiing at Jay Peak. And I really doubt Jay Peak would ever "dumb down the woods", that's really not Jay's style.

Hawk

I guess Jay is a good exception. I agree that they have become overcrowded and the total area of the resort is small in comparison to other resorts. They could use more terrain. I was more referring to areas that have existing woods that are not on the map.

Jully

It'll take a good winter, but if we have a profitable season this year, I wonder if places previously hampered by the bird will try and put something together next year.

LONGBOARDR

Its not the bird holding back west bowl development.
West bowl is a head water area, a subwatershed of Missisquoi Watershed.
Pristine habitat that is also very wet. Despite past suggestions that this was to be developed, it is unlikely at this point IMO.
The skiing is very good as there is a huge amount of snow there, not too steep however. Intermediate glades would be a good description. easy tour if you are so inclined.

skiNEwhere

Nonsense.

XYZ = Canada Lynx. An endangered species which seems to be found in potential sites for ski area expansion not only in Vermont, but Colorado as well.

MG Skier

Not at Jay Peak. The area in question would become lift-served and actually used. And if you've seen how the crowds at Jay Peak have exploded the last 3 or 4 years, you'd know they could use extra tree skiing at this point. That are is so gigantic it would take a LONG time for it to be significantly skied off, especially what all all the existing tree skiing at Jay Peak. And I really doubt Jay Peak would ever "dumb down the woods", that's really not Jay's style.

+1 I enjoy the opportunities I get to visit Jay. I love the trees but can't "hang" in many of their glades due to the pitch, I am a young tree skier with a grey beard! Jay could use new terrain to spread out the crowds. The last version of the West Bowl looked like it would do the trick.