• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Torch Light Parade (Feb. 17, 2007): A Tradition Steeped in History

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: February 17, 2007

2006 Trip Report #: 33

Resort: Burke Mountain

Conditions: Fresh MG

Weather: Partly cloudy, starlit skies. Cold. Slight breeze out of the NW.

Trip Report: Every mountain has its traditions. These special events at one time were a cure for cabin fever suffered by the locals who skied there but now are considered as entertainment for out of town guests.

Burke’s Torch Light Parade is one such tradition that has been going on for longer than anyone can remember. What makes it stand out is that the parade is made up of Burke skiers and riders under the direction of the ski patrol. In contrast, the Middlebury Snow Bowl’s parade for incoming First Years at Middlebury College is done by the ski patrol only.

The first torch light parade I ever saw was at the Lyndon Outing Club when I was a small boy. I remember riding up to my Grandparent's house one night and sitting in the window with my Grandfather. He pointed out the "ski tow" and the skiers as they came down.

This past fall, I visited with the original trailboss and saw his Burke Room. One section was covered with tickets that said, "TORCH LIGHT PARADE" in handwriting. There were at least 15 or 20 of them. When I asked about the tickets, his eyes lit up. After telling some stories, he encouraged me to try it this season.

To take part in the parade is an honor and a tradition that I was very interested in joining as one of the younger generations of Burke skiers and riders. I contacted from_the_NEK and the original trailboss about how to get involved. The original trailboss and his wife have been taking part in over 10 year's worth of torch lit parades, held on New Year's Eve, MLK Weekend, and President's Weekend. After getting their advice and learning the protocol, I found myself at the ski patrol cabin at the top of Burke on Saturday afternoon to register for the event.

I spoke with John Worth, the head of the patrol and the default coordinator of the event, who told me where to be and when. He handed me my own custom ticket for the event and put me on the check list, which had 35 names at that point.

For the rest of the day I skied with AZer’s who had come for the day and I encouraged them to stay for the event, which was set for 7:30pm.

At the appropriate time, I parted company with the crew at the après ski event and drove to MidBurke. In preparation for the event, I put on my old jacket and an older pair of gloves. The reason is simple: skiing with a pair of highway flares poses a danger for expensive nylon fabric.

Coincidentally, I parked right beside from_the_NEK, who had been at the mountain all day as well.

“This is going to be a lot of fun!” He said, having done this before. I booted up and hiked over to the meeting spot. We assembled at the base of the Quad, which was lit up for the event.

The quad at night:

DSCN0301.JPG

Folks mingled in the dark and then they started the quad lift. Several cheers erupted as they started the lift under the star light. I rode up with from_the_NEK. At first, the lift was set at a slow speed to load the guests but once everyone was on it was shifted into normal speed. The ski area was quiet and the snow was visible in the limited star light. The view was incredible—no major cities but instead splashes of lights here and there from villages and houses.

“There are more and more lights everytime I do this,” from_the_NEK said.

As we ascended, we could hear and see the groomers out at work. When we got to the Shoot, a groomer came barreling down the hill, ironing the slope and laying down some nice corduroy visible under the halogen lights.

At the top, we were guided by snowmobile lights to the Ski Patrol Hut, which was ablaze inside:

DSCN00011.JPG

For about a half hour, old friends united and new friends mingled with the patrol and mountain staff. I spent a lot of time speaking with the original trailboss and his wife.

DSCN0305.JPG

“You know this event is going to down the tubes if they let me do it!” I joked.
“No it's not. It's about time you joined us. Glad to see that you are finally doing it,” the original trailboss said before explaining how to hold the flare in a way so that I didn’t burn myself or tire. It was great to be a part of such an honored part of Burke's tradition.

I also chatted with from_the_NEK about the day. Music was playing and folks were having a great time:

FSCN0309.JPG

Then, as if on cue, Mr. Worth stopped the music and gave the room instructions.

“We are going to have everyone head outside in a minute to get their gear and to get a flare. Remember to put your torch COMPLETELY out before you throw it away. Take your time down, be safe, and have fun.”

Mr. Worth Gives the Instructions:

DSCN0311.JPG

At this point, folks began heading out into the darkness to get their skis. The smarter folks placed their skis under the lit windows for easy identification. Being in the dark with 50 Burke fans was exhilarating. Shouts and cheers went out again.

“Get your torches…parade torches they're HOT,” said the patrollers, as they weaved through the crowd, handing out the flares and checking to be sure that each participant was ready.

Folks began to line up and the patrol began to light their torches. It was amazing:

DSCN0313.JPG

DSCN0314.JPG

More shouts and cheers went out as the line began winding down a freshly groomed Willoughby. The run took a solid ten minutes and I had no problems following the crowd. Some fell, but it was well organized and well run.

When we got to Darling Point, a few fireworks went off and more hoots and hollers could be heard.

At the bottom of Willoughby, we cut onto Binney Lane and then down Bunker Hill to Carter Country. I could see flashes of cameras and hear more applause as we approached. Being in the last half of the parade, I could see where the people were putting their torches out.

After putting mine out and throwing it in the garbage can, I talked with nekgirl as well as some other Burke regulars before catching a ride with from_the_NEK back to my car.

An exhilarating and special event in my skiing career and a tradition that I hope to continue to be a part of in the future!

What the Burke Torchlight Looks like from the distance:

burke_torch_light.jpg

Last edited:

dmc

I do the tourch light parades at Hunter now and again..

It's a blast.. Kinda tough after a few beers.... But still a blast...

MrMagic

great report. i have always wanted to partake in one, now i def. will some day. !! thanks agin

Very interesting - maybe in my memoirs or in my pending novel

"As The Bullwheel Turns" I will share some memories of a few very interesting Burke Mountain Torchlight Parades - maybe.
By the way, in addition to the quintessential poster of torchlight (almost) always done down Willoughby and onto the Sherburne Lodge, there was a very special torchlight parade done with a small group with skiers on every trail and photographs taken from the deck of a home on White Schoolhouse Road by St. Johnsbury photographer Robert Jenks.They are still available thru him

snowmonster

great report, trailboss. Sorry again that I couldn't stay to see it -- regret not seeing it for my own personal satisfaction since I've never actually seen a torch parade. Saw from the Burke e-mail that there's a kid's version. Perhaps I can join that!

mitchmac

I saw one Sunday night at Okemo. Stood right under the lift when they went up, and right next to the trail where they (at least 100 riders/skiers) came down. Looked like a LOAD of fun!!