• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow's GM, Kelly Pawlak, named President of the National Ski Areas Association

thebigo

The Grand Summit is ridiculously expensive but area lodging is the cheapest and closest in Southern VT from my experience. Lot's of good hotels/motels under $100 per night that are within walking distance to the hill. The Lodge at Mount Snow is my go-to. Snow Lake Lodge is old as dirt but decent and cheap. At Stratton you can be closer to the skiing with their village but you'll be paying $$ for it. At Okemo you'll find cheaper places but you'll be in the outskirts of Ludlow far from the hill.

Wife and kids want the pool and we already have the Peak pass, it will be back to Attitash.

I am not expecting $100 / night was thinking in the $300 - $400 range. Over $1000 / night midweek in March is outrageous. Haven't checked but guessing this is one of the higher slopeside rates in country for an off peak time. I know we did not pay anywhere close to $1000 / night last time at the Peruvian in alta.

Jully

Somewhat unrelated but I cannot believe how stupid expensive mount snow is. We usually go to Attitash for a week in March, priced out Mt Snow due my disdain for Attitash and they want over $1000 / night for a two bedroom in the Grand, this does not include tickets. The price is roughly double similar accommodations at Killington, Okemo and Sugarbush; close to five times higher than Attitash for a similar room. Are they really filling the place midweek in March at this price?

$1000 a night is insane. I had no idea places not called Stowe charged that in New England.

cdskier

Somewhat unrelated but I cannot believe how stupid expensive mount snow is. We usually go to Attitash for a week in March, priced out Mt Snow due my disdain for Attitash and they want over $1000 / night for a two bedroom in the Grand, this does not include tickets. The price is roughly double similar accommodations at Killington, Okemo and Sugarbush; close to five times higher than Attitash for a similar room. Are they really filling the place midweek in March at this price?

Wife and kids want the pool and we already have the Peak pass, it will be back to Attitash.

I am not expecting $100 / night was thinking in the $300 - $400 range. Over $1000 / night midweek in March is outrageous. Haven't checked but guessing this is one of the higher slopeside rates in country for an off peak time. I know we did not pay anywhere close to $1000 / night last time at the Peruvian in alta.

A two bedroom condo in Claybrook at Sugarbush would be $644/night midweek in March. A two bedroom at Jackson Gore at Okemo ranges from 700-938 a night in that timeframe.

So ultimately for the "top of the line slopeside" resort lodging choice, it is surprisingly not super crazy that Mt Snow is charging $1k/night.

drjeff

Have you looked into renting a condo at complexes such as Timbercreek, Greenspring, Seasons or Kingswood? All 4 have pools in their clubhouse for use by owners and guests. Greenspring even has full 7 days a week shuttle service from basically the back door of each unit directly to the mountain., and some of the Seasons units are ski trail access. Mid week rates are generally reasonable, the units generally start at 1600 sq ft, so they're sizeable as well. The pool factor is by far and away a selling point for the Grand Summit and puts them in their own hotel category, even before you factor in it's prime location....

Jully

A two bedroom condo in Claybrook at Sugarbush would be $644/night midweek in March. A two bedroom at Jackson Gore at Okemo ranges from 700-938 a night in that timeframe.

So ultimately for the "top of the line slopeside" resort lodging choice, it is surprisingly not super crazy that Mt Snow is charging $1k/night.

I don't know. Aren't condos nicer/more expensive to rent than a 2 bedroom hotel suite (especially at a Les Otten Grand?)? $644 at Claybrook seems like a steal to me compared to Mt Snow's grand pricing and I feel like Claybrook would be much nicer than the Grand at Mt. Snow.

cdskier

I don't know. Aren't condos nicer/more expensive to rent than a 2 bedroom hotel suite (especially at a Les Otten Grand?)? $644 at Claybrook seems like a steal to me compared to Mt Snow's grand pricing and I feel like Claybrook would be much nicer than the Grand at Mt. Snow.

Claybrook is like an upscale hotel in my opinion. Way over-priced. But there are people that want to just walk out to the lifts and have the pool, etc. If they can get away with those prices, they must be renting them (and I have a cousin that always rents there over President's with his family and thinks nothing of paying those prices. Meanwhile his brother rents my condo for a fraction of the price for his family that same weekend and loves it and thinks his brother is nuts for staying at Claybrook...so to each their own).

For the purposes of this comparison, thebigo said the $1K Mt Snow figure was twice the SB price for similar accommodations. I didn't see any 2 bedroom suites at Claybrook when I looked online earlier, so this was the closest comparison I could find. That's really the reason I used it. I'd agree it isn't an exact comparison. Mt Snow can also get away with being a bit pricier by virtue of being closer to the NYC market.

slatham

Claybrook is like an upscale hotel in my opinion. Way over-priced. But there are people that want to just walk out to the lifts and have the pool, etc. If they can get away with those prices, they must be renting them (and I have a cousin that always rents there over President's with his family and thinks nothing of paying those prices. Meanwhile his brother rents my condo for a fraction of the price for his family that same weekend and loves it and thinks his brother is nuts for staying at Claybrook...so to each their own).

For the purposes of this comparison, thebigo said the $1K Mt Snow figure was twice the SB price for similar accommodations. I didn't see any 2 bedroom suites at Claybrook when I looked online earlier, so this was the closest comparison I could find. That's really the reason I used it. I'd agree it isn't an exact comparison. Mt Snow can also get away with being a bit pricier by virtue of being closer to the NYC market.

Familiar with both GS and CB. CB is WAY nicer and I can't argue with $650 mid week in March. But GS at $1k is ludicrous. I have to think if you called and did the "you'd rather the unit be empty that accept my $600" you'll get it. But that of course requires a fairly last minute decision.