• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow's GM, Kelly Pawlak, named President of the National Ski Areas Association

drjeff

http://www.saminfo.com/headline-news/8956-nsaa-names-kelly-pawlak-as-new-president

Such an honor for a friend of mine, who is just an all around great person and leader within the ski industry. I'm sure that if any other AZ'ers have met Kelly, or seen her on the job, they will applaud this choice by the NSAA. If one has never met Kelly, or don't think you have met Kelly, you may very well have come across her scanning your tickets on a busy day, or clearing tables in the cafeteria or helping to restock and/or clean the women's restroom on a busy day, not to mention the chance you've shared a lift ride with her. She is very much a hands on leader, for whom she makes it very clear through her actions that there is basically no job that needs to be done that she won't do herself.

While I am thrilled for the opportunity this will present for Kelly, I am also as bit bittersweet about it as she won't be around Mount Snow nearly as much as well as the general Mount Snow are where she is actively involved in just about any community charitable foundation and/or community enhancement group you can think of. And for those purely selfish reasons, a small part of me wishes the NSAA chose a different person.

I look forward though to seeing where her vision for the ski industry takes this sport that we all enjoy in the coming years!

drjeff

Are the failing in their goal as growth is stagnate and has been for awhile?
"The association's primary objective is to meet the needs of ski area owners and operators nationwide and to foster, stimulate and promote growth in the industry."

One thing to fully keep in mind, is that these days, growth in the industry isn't just confined to snow sports season, but year round visits. And while yes, annual snow sliding sports visits have been relatively unchanged for many years now (maybe a fluctuation a couple million visits in the mid to low 50 million range per year) the year round growth has been trending up for a while and the ski industry as a whole in the US is an over 7.5 BILLION dollar entity.

Glenn

That's great news! Kelly is a really talented person who is very knowledgeable when it comes to the industry. I know she'll be successful at her new role.

drjeff

I read somewhere that it came down to family not wanting to move to Colorado at this time.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

I had heard that and/or there were other family issues/reasons that arose after the initial offer was made that caused him to turn it down later.

Kelly's kids are post college age now. Her husband is a high level alpine ski racing coach, which gives him mobility within the industry as well. My wife and I were casually thinking that the biggest decision that Kelly and her husband had to make about this is they've basically just finished renovating/expanding an old, smallish lake house they bought in the Wilmington area after downsizing a few years ago, and the renovation results she regularly posts online look amazing. Moving away from all that hard work they've put in I'm sure won't be easy, let alone the extensive garden beds that Kelly has worked on around their house...

ScottySkis

HI everyone. I been off here for some time, lately been reading it in past few weeks.

The ski resort is called MountainSnow though. carry on:spread::smile:

drjeff

Just posted on the Mount Snow Passholders forum a few minutes ago.

Peak has chosen to stay within their organization...

"
Mount Snow Names Erik Barnes As New General Manager
Long-time Mount Snow Employee to Lead Resort Through Continued Growth and Expansion
Mount Snow, VT. – October 11, 2017 – After rising through the ranks during the past 31 years, Mount Snow is pleased to announce that it has promoted Erik Barnes to the position of general manager. Barnes will assume the role formerly held by Kelly Pawlak, who recently accepted the position of president and CEO of the National Ski Areas Association.

“After 31 years at Mount Snow, Erik is more than familiar with all of the ins and outs of running a resort, and we’re thrilled to have him stepping into this role,” said Jesse Boyd, Senior Vice President at Peak Resorts. “We look forward to having Erik guide our resort and its staff as we continue this exciting period of development and growth.”

Barnes, who originally started at the mountain during the 1986-87, winter season as a ski instructor, has an extensive background in the ski industry with an emphasis in resort and customer service. Since then he has held a variety of roles around the resort, most recently as the director of resort services and director of golf, a position which he has held since 2006. In addition, Barnes is an alpine examiner and alpine educational staff chairperson for the Professional Ski Instructors of America.

“I’m honored to assume this new role at such an exciting time for our resort,” said Erik Barnes, incoming general manager at Mount Snow. “I have called Mount Snow home for the past 31 years, and look forward to leading this award-winning team during this period of expansion, innovation, and development.”

Barnes will transition into his new role starting on November 4, 2017."

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad they didn't move Brian over from Wildcat. I'm quite happy with the job he's done there. Only real complaint is the failure of the bar to get a decent IPA on draft. If you are reading this Brian, how about Great North IPA to replace the Long Trail Sick Day

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Glad they didn't move Brian over from Wildcat. I'm quite happy with the job he's done there. Only real complaint is the failure of the bar to get a decent IPA on draft. If you are reading this Brian, how about Great North IPA to replace the Long Trail Sick Day

You need to talk to Linda directly.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You need to talk to Linda directly.
It has been mentioned by others and I several times. They've been making the same deals with their distributors for the past several years, hence why nothing changes. Heather especially would love to see an improvement.

I love the bar at Wildcat for the staff and patrons/vibe, but it's beer selection is poor for 5 years ago, nevermind 2017.

BenedictGomez

Replacing anything Long Trail makes at this point, is generally a good decision.

There's an example of a micro brew that was ahead of the curve as an early adopter, but has been passed by......well.... pretty much everyone. Their beers are almost universally sub-par with other microbrews.

Even if you want to make the, "keep it local" argument, well, there are other VT options better than Long Trail.

tumbler

Replacing anything Long Trail makes at this point, is generally a good decision.

There's an example of a micro brew that was ahead of the curve as an early adopter, but has been passed by......well.... pretty much everyone. Their beers are almost universally sub-par with other microbrews.

Even if you want to make the, "keep it local" argument, well, there are other VT options better than Long Trail.

I still love the ale, hits the spot coming off the slopes

thebigo

Somewhat unrelated but I cannot believe how stupid expensive mount snow is. We usually go to Attitash for a week in March, priced out Mt Snow due my disdain for Attitash and they want over $1000 / night for a two bedroom in the Grand, this does not include tickets. The price is roughly double similar accommodations at Killington, Okemo and Sugarbush; close to five times higher than Attitash for a similar room. Are they really filling the place midweek in March at this price?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Somewhat unrelated but I cannot believe how stupid expensive mount snow is. We usually go to Attitash for a week in March, priced out Mt Snow due my disdain for Attitash and they want over $1000 / night for a two bedroom in the Grand, this does not include tickets. The price is roughly double similar accommodations at Killington, Okemo and Sugarbush; close to five times higher than Attitash for a similar room. Are they really filling the place midweek in March at this price?

The Grand Summit is ridiculously expensive but area lodging is the cheapest and closest in Southern VT from my experience. Lot's of good hotels/motels under $100 per night that are within walking distance to the hill. The Lodge at Mount Snow is my go-to. Snow Lake Lodge is old as dirt but decent and cheap. At Stratton you can be closer to the skiing with their village but you'll be paying $$ for it. At Okemo you'll find cheaper places but you'll be in the outskirts of Ludlow far from the hill.

deadheadskier

Staff member

The keep it more local option is what I've been making. Pick NH beers. There are plenty of better options brewed in state to replace Switchback and Long Trail Sick Day. They have Moat Brown and Tuckerman Pale for super local beers, the two VT options, I believe a Sam Adams and Budlight. I'm sure kegs of Smuttynose Finest Kind cost the same as LT. That would be a reasonable upgrade.