• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow - 2/19/07

skijay

Resort:Mount Snow

Date Skied: 02/19/2007 - 8:30 am to 1:45pm

Conditions: Beautiful sunny skies, cold and windy at summit, packed powder conditions.

Trip Report: I wanted to go out today and try my new skis that I picked up on Saturday. Being a holiday week, I had three choices, Mount Snow, Pico or Butternut. I wanted to go some place today that was not going to be packed. I passed the entrance to the Pike and now made the choice between Pico and Mount Snow. As I was driving up on I-91 this morning I noticed the lack of northbound traffic. Maybe I was late or everybody else has been up north since Friday.

As I approached exit 2 in Vermont it was to be Mount Snow. I did not have any traffic behind me on my entire trip up Route 9! This was about 7:30am. I pulled into Carinthia at about 8:15am and had a nice parking spot up front. To my shock, there was no lift line! The only activity was at the lodge and at the ½ pipe.

I took the Nitro Express and headed over toward the Grand Summit Express lift. I think I was on Long John as I came out to the base of the Sundance triple, which was closed. As I approached the main base I saw a few people at the Summit Express and a crowd over at the Canyon Express. What was going on? I got my ticket scanned and off on the GSE. About a few lift towers up I figured out what was going on. It was the wind with the single digit temperatures. Thankfully I had my under helmet mask on. It was a cold trip up to the summit. My first run down was South Bowl to the Sundance Lift line.

Back to the GSE and over to NorthFace. I skied down the trail that ran underneath the Outpost Lift. It was my first experience with bumps on these skis. Well, I need some practice. I did several runs over here alternating between the Plummet, Challenger and Fallen Timbers. I could actually carve with these skis! I was very happy. I did get brave and take the bumped up part off of Plummet, Little Steep.

There was never lift lines or any crowds on the trails at NorthFace. This was the pace to be because there was no wind! I headed over to Sunbrook for a few runs. Everything was groomed; this was the same for all the trails I hit today. I dreaded the ride on the Sunbrook Quad, it seems like it takes forever to get to the top and once you are there you ski back down in about a minute. I skied Bear Trap several times. This was great practice as there were only a few bumps on the left of the trail.

Ending the day, I skied Carinthia. I made a few runs down Mineshaft to Prospector to Titanium. There was a snowboard event at the Gut ½ pipe. For the three runs in the afternoon I never waited for a chair.

On my way back home there were several vehicles with ski boxes & ski carriers heading toward Mount Snow on route 9. I also noticed a lot more vehicles like this on I-91 northbound. It sort of looked like the typical Friday night ski traffic. I had an awesome time today and also thought of how much I enjoyed my two years with the ASC pass.

Perhaps the Monday during the holiday week is the “slow” day of the week?????

drjeff

Resort:Mount Snow

Date Skied: 02/19/2007 - 8:30 am to 1:45pm

Conditions: Beautiful sunny skies, cold and windy at summit, packed powder conditions.

Trip Report: I wanted to go out today and try my new skis that I picked up on Saturday. Being a holiday week, I had three choices, Mount Snow, Pico or Butternut. I wanted to go some place today that was not going to be packed. I passed the entrance to the Pike and now made the choice between Pico and Mount Snow. As I was driving up on I-91 this morning I noticed the lack of northbound traffic. Maybe I was late or everybody else has been up north since Friday.

As I approached exit 2 in Vermont it was to be Mount Snow. I did not have any traffic behind me on my entire trip up Route 9! This was about 7:30am. I pulled into Carinthia at about 8:15am and had a nice parking spot up front. To my shock, there was no lift line! The only activity was at the lodge and at the ½ pipe.

I took the Nitro Express and headed over toward the Grand Summit Express lift. I think I was on Long John as I came out to the base of the Sundance triple, which was closed. As I approached the main base I saw a few people at the Summit Express and a crowd over at the Canyon Express. What was going on? I got my ticket scanned and off on the GSE. About a few lift towers up I figured out what was going on. It was the wind with the single digit temperatures. Thankfully I had my under helmet mask on. It was a cold trip up to the summit. My first run down was South Bowl to the Sundance Lift line.

Back to the GSE and over to NorthFace. I skied down the trail that ran underneath the Outpost Lift. It was my first experience with bumps on these skis. Well, I need some practice. I did several runs over here alternating between the Plummet, Challenger and Fallen Timbers. I could actually carve with these skis! I was very happy. I did get brave and take the bumped up part off of Plummet, Little Steep.

There was never lift lines or any crowds on the trails at NorthFace. This was the pace to be because there was no wind! I headed over to Sunbrook for a few runs. Everything was groomed; this was the same for all the trails I hit today. I dreaded the ride on the Sunbrook Quad, it seems like it takes forever to get to the top and once you are there you ski back down in about a minute. I skied Bear Trap several times. This was great practice as there were only a few bumps on the left of the trail.

Ending the day, I skied Carinthia. I made a few runs down Mineshaft to Prospector to Titanium. There was a snowboard event at the Gut ½ pipe. For the three runs in the afternoon I never waited for a chair.

On my way back home there were several vehicles with ski boxes & ski carriers heading toward Mount Snow on route 9. I also noticed a lot more vehicles like this on I-91 northbound. It sort of looked like the typical Friday night ski traffic. I had an awesome time today and also thought of how much I enjoyed my two years with the ASC pass.

Perhaps the Monday during the holiday week is the “slow” day of the week?????

I think that the - ALOT temps had more to do with keeping the crowd in check today. Irode up Canyon express with a husband/wife/daughter who decided to book the middle of last week and they told me the closest decnt lodging they could find was down in Brattleboro, and I knwo from looking at the parking lots for the Grand Summit and the hotels on Rte 100 that they all have good crowds this week> Additionally I can tell you that most of the daycare programs are sold out this week too!

Today was just limited by the temps being a bit too extreme for the few time a year folk!

gladerider

i skiied all over the mountain on saturday. powder all over the mountain. it was amazing. i was boarding Snowdance all afternoon on sunday. the right side of the trail had so much powder. however, by monday morning it all froze up hard. the standard was great though....

all in all, one of the best weenkends i've ever had on the east coast.

Grassi21

i skiied all over the mountain on saturday. powder all over the mountain. it was amazing. i was boarding Snowdance all afternoon on sunday. the right side of the trail had so much powder. however, by monday morning it all froze up hard. the standard was great though....

all in all, one of the best weenkends i've ever had on the east coast.

We skied Snow on Sunday. It was easily the best conditions I've skied in my short 3 season career.

skijay

The new skis are awesome! I took advantage of the snowless winter deals (I bought these on 2/11/07) and got a great deal.