• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where is the STEEPEST GROOMER in the east?

jimmywilson69

I heard that more recently a groomer manufacturer came to do a one-time demo and groomed Extrovert with a winch cat.

When the snow is great extrovert is probably one of the toughest runs in PA. However, its usually an icy, mogully mess. With the weather we get now it rarely looks like the pictures Jimk posted.

My local hill roundtop bought a winch cat to help with their steep terrain as well as other places when they want to move a bunch of snow around. It would certainly help if Blue Knob had one!

Its unfortunate Blue Knob always seems to be run on a shoe string budget. It has the potential to be a really good place.

slatham

I grew up skiing SoPA and BK was the ultimate day trip as it had more snow and way steeper terrain than Roundtop or Liberty. While Extrovert wasn't open very often (no snowmaking) when it was it was a real treat, and a legitimate, big mountain steep trail.

I cannot believe someone took a groomer down it without a winch. The drop offs after crossing Lower Rt 66 and High Hopes were pretty extreme, especially the way the snow build up on the sides of those narrow trails. Also, I don't think you could winch it all the way down from a winch pole at the top - the cable could get tangled in the two chairs that cross?

As a side note, I have never, ever seen such a pile of ICE - perfect, 100% BLUE ice - created by a snow gun as I saw at BK once circa mid '70's. And I've seen a lot of bad snowmaking after 48 years of Eastern skiing, but nothing even comes close...

bdfreetuna

I'm looking at the map and photos of trails @ Blue Knob. It even has a "bowl". I am really considering bringing my skis next time I head to PA in the winter. This looks like better steeps and trees than Berkshire East and about the same vert.

Learn something new today!

jimmywilson69

Tuna its good. BUT you have to hit when the snow is good. Otherwise snowmaking and grooming are very far behind basically every place in PA.

mbedle

As far as PA goes, Blue Knob is a really special place, but as someone said, it was always run on a limited budget and is pretty outdated. The good thing is that is got bought by some guys from Pittsburgh and hopefully they will start to invest some money in the place. What I also didn't know is the resort has 1,385 acres of which 420 acres are on the state land. The new owners applied for a 2.5 million grant to start getting some of the issues addressed at the resort. Use to rent one of the cabin on the slopes every year with some friends from State College. Always a good time there.

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
As far as PA goes, Blue Knob is a really special place, but as someone said, it was always run on a limited budget and is pretty outdated. The good thing is that is got bought by some guys from Pittsburgh and hopefully they will start to invest some money in the place. What I also didn't know is the resort has 1,385 acres of which 420 acres are on the state land. The new owners applied for a 2.5 million grant to start getting some of the issues addressed at the resort.

The new owners are pretty bright and, the guy running the place, Scott Bender - is sharp. Former ceo 7 Springs (tutored by HK Dupre), NSAA board. Look for good stuff to happen fast.

bdfreetuna

It's too bad http://www.newenglandskihistory.com doesn't exist for Pennsylvania. I'm trying to find the history of Blue Knob -- because it looks like, on the trail map, there was a whole area to the left that's closed. Or else why would the map look like this? And I must say this is a beautiful map, really drives the imagination.

the_mountain.jpg

Domeskier

I like that the trail map suggests that this extrovert trail is permanently bumped up.

urungus

hillmap.com shows 30 degree pitch for top half of the Extrovert run at Blue Knob. Very impressive, this is steeper than Outer Limits at Killington, or Hoyt’s High / Lookout Below at Whiteface.

Edit: here’s the screenshot. Slope is measured along faint blue line between the two small red dots

9B3D16E5-C691-4DB8-944E-094C5E4DE31F.jpg

bdfreetuna

Okay, look at this Stemboygan Bowl at Blue Knob... plain ole fun terrain

1265914148_pic3.jpg

Looks like JimK has a lot of pics showing up on Google search, many of the better ones

bdfreetuna

All of 30 feet....

Reminds me of some of the smaller bowls at Heavenly to be quite honest (under the bottom of Powderbowl lift). You can find a few runs similar to that in Northern VT. Replace the hardwoods with evergreens and that's world class skiing.

jimk

More Blue Knob, PA photos, all from Feb 2010, best conditions in my 50 years there. When it's good it's really good, when it's bad it's bad for years at a time:) I too am hopeful about the new ownership. Old guys were nice, but aged and ready for relief.

Nice glade/run called East Wall Glade, about as steep as Extrovert, but much shorter.
1000x500px-LL-0ce3e954_blueknob21feb10+110.jpg
Side shot of upper third of Extrovert, narrow run below under chair is challenging too, called Rt 66.
1000x500px-LL-b53f02d4_blueknob21feb10+116.jpg
Real narrow trail called Shortway, rarely see it with this much snow, it's an all natural trail.
bea3edce_blueknob20feb10+021.jpg
Another shot of Stembogen Bowl, we stayed in house on left one time about ten years ago.
81dfc30d_blueknob8feb10+040.jpg
Deer Run, similar aspect as Extrovert, but slightly different location on the mtn and less steep with shorter fall line. Not groomed in this pic, but usually is groomed.
54485bc8_blueknob8feb10+060.jpg

Last edited:

jimk

steep groomer at Sugar Bowl, CA
4d5ee7ed_Copy2ofDSCN4349.jpg
whiteface steep groomer
whiteface steep groomer.jpg
wildcat steep groomer under HSQ
wildcat groomer under HSQ.jpeg
there are a few very steep groomers on front face of MSA, Quebec
msa front face.jpg
some good groomers from top of Pico
900x900px-LL-160a0ed8_BKandVT2011224.jpg

yeggous

steep groomer at Sugar Bowl, CA
View attachment 22798
whiteface steep groomer
View attachment 22799
wildcat steep groomer under HSQ
View attachment 22802
there are a few very steep groomers on front face of MSA, Quebec
View attachment 22800
some good groomers from top of Pico
View attachment 22801

Any interest in contributing to unofficial guide of Blue Knob that I stubbed out? I've made a lot of progress building out the guides within New England, but the Mid-Atlantic is a horse of a different color. I've never been, and know little myself. And our contributors are New England centric.