• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WME's "Line of Descent"

BenedictGomez

he's saying movies like this are expensive to make and if you want them, you're going to have to "pay" somehow.

There's no doubt about that, it's true.

It's why I fully expect & know there'll be product placements in a film, and it's never prior bothered me in the least.

HOWEVER, as someone who has been to Warren Miller night for probably something like 16 of the last 20 years and at least a decade in a row, this was BEYOND what one would expect. The placements were so over-the-top that in a few cases they really WERE the movie. Meaning, instead of a product appearing in a given WM scene, the SCENE was about the product(s). I was no longer watching a ski movie, I was watching an 8 minute commercial.

The Airstream & Ducati scene was the most obvious. It was so bad that if I had to guess I'd say that someone from one or both of those companies marketing departments was on-set and hands-on in the creation of the scene. It really was more like a really long commercial for the product(s) than a part of the Warren Miller movie.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like you agree that maybe the genre is dying or is already dead.

FWIW I was not the author of the review.

OK. You scared me. I knew that you had been skiing for a while. When I saw the "who is John Egan?" comment I was confused.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And I also got an Email recently asking me to give them a review of the movie. Needless to say I slammed them. It is like pizza--even bad pizza is somewhat satisfying. You really have to work to make it bad.

Hawk

I saw it last night in Beverly MA for $24. The place serves a good offering of various beer and I go more to see all the local ski community and catch up with old friends from other mountains. It is a Ski homecoming of sorts for us. I have to agree though that the movie was on the lower end of the WM spectrum. I thought the segments were kind of all over the place with no good flow or dialogue or story. Also, there was no humor segment like they usually do. I have to say it was not my favorite by far. That said, I will still go to see my friends and get stoked to ski that year.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
And I also got an Email recently asking me to give them a review of the movie. Needless to say I slammed them. It is like pizza--even bad pizza is somewhat satisfying. You really have to work to make it bad.

Can you post a link to your review? Would like to read it. (Even thought I didn't see the movie.)

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I'd like to know how much the movie cost to make. Whatever it was there has to be a way to spend less and produce a compelling, stoke inducing movie. Be cool to see a new model emerge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can you post a link to your review? Would like to read it. (Even thought I didn't see the movie.)

I should have gotten a screen grab. It was an Email survey that I completed and submitted.

As to the money, it was very easy to see that it was an expensive movie to make....relatively speaking. The special effects, CGI, drone shots, and film quality were all excellent. They were at some pretty interesting spots. But the content was bad. As I said they made the skiers and riders look bad. That was the worst part in my mind.

BenedictGomez

I have to agree though that the movie was on the lower end of the WM spectrum. I thought the segments were kind of all over the place with no good flow or dialogue or story. Also, there was no humor segment like they usually do. I have to say it was not my favorite by far.

One of the worst WM films I've ever seen, and I've seen more than most.

And the reason there was no "flow", was because there was no effort at flow, the entire effort was on jamming in the sponsor's product placements at the expense of an actual movie. It was shockingly bad.

mikec142

I saw this movie Friday in NJ. They had the airstream trailer parked outside of the theatre and you were able to go in. Very tiny.....interesting. BUT the movie was not great at all and we all spoke about the product placement at intermission.

The other topic discussed was that the MC giving out the prizes was the opposite of an athlete.

There were several free tickets at this show - SB, WIndham, Gore , Steamboat. K was 2 for 1. I can't recall the others.

There was also free samples of emergenC...........

I was bummed. Tried to score a ticket to the NJ show last minute and it was sold out. Who cares about the movie...the lift tix alone made it worth it...SB, Windham and Gore are all in my rotation. And there were others.

BenedictGomez

I was bummed. Tried to score a ticket to the NJ show last minute and it was sold out. Who cares about the movie...the lift tix alone made it worth it...SB, Windham and Gore are all in my rotation. And there were others.

The Sugarbush was the only free lift ticket. The Gore, Smuggs, and Windham are all BOGOs. Still a great deal if you hit those of course.

Smellytele

I am going to The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, NH on Friday and do it for the lift tickets as well. It is 18 bucks and you get a waterville ticket at the show and the normal card to go to WME to register for others.

Jully

I am going to The Flying Monkey in Plymouth, NH on Friday and do it for the lift tickets as well. It is 18 bucks and you get a waterville ticket at the show and the normal card to go to WME to register for others.

Waterville ticket voucher or a 2fer?