• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WME's "Line of Descent"

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is fall and, as tradition dictates, it is time for the new Warren Miller movie. This is the 68th year of movies. As many of you know though, Warren Miller has not been involved now for about 20 years. I saw two movies in person in 2003 and 2004 and they were meh. After that, I've heard lots of complaints about how bad they have become. The 2015 film we saw was actually pretty good, so expectations were somewhat high for us. We went on a spur of the moment thing. All of us, and other friends, were quite disappointed. Here's the skinny....don't worry about spolier alerts. The good, bad, and the ugly although I am certainly no Siskel and Ebert.

The Good: AMAZING camera angles, drone usage, special effects, and locales. Great skiing and riding.

Not So Good: Rampant product placement, terrible monologues, douchey athletes, and producers who made women look bad.

Scene by scene discussion:

Jackson Hole: Love the shots of the Tram and terrain. Awesome skiing. I suggest putting it on mute because you will come to hate the skiers and riders. They are the stereotypical trustafarians living in J-Hole. I :puke: at the woman's comment about how awesome it was "to ski with nature and the animals." The scene ran on too long.

Steamboat: love the night cat shots. Here, though, the obvious product placement kicks in. Shots of Ester-C (they still make that?) and Prinoth logos were very annoying. I don't know anyone who is going to buy a snowcat. I love snowcats and awesome machines, but I really wanted to yell at the producers. And I think that the plot was supposed to be local park rats come for an impromptu night session and catch the cat drivers off guard, but it was poorly executed.

Norway: I think that they trying to have a "ski patroller" exchange going with the Fernie Patroller visiting Norway, and the actually down to earth and likeable Norwegian patroller visiting Fernie, but again, it was not well done and not really clear if that was happening. Love the scenery.

Snowmobile Scene in Montana: interesting. Some inside jokes that nobody gets.

Snowsurfing scene: very interesting terrain and great camera angles. Interesting likable characters. Runs too long and the apres scene with Gosling Whiskey becoming a central part of the scene was painful.

New Zealand: another miss. Great riding, an almost-fatal avalanche scene. LL Bean stickers and logos everywhere. Another missed opportunity to develop character and tug at heartstrings when it is revealed that Seth Westcott's daughter was born. It is not clear if that happened while he was in New Zealand (if that was the case, they made him look like a douchebag for snowboarding and missing her birth). They tried to have some comments about making her enjoy the outdoors, but it missed the mark. The produce placement, again, made me hate the brand.

Montana/Beartooth: the biggest pile of doucheiness there was. "Bird" tells the viewer how he is not at all materialistic while we see him and his friend riding brand new Ducatis (they had to show the logo and say the name), sleeping in a brand new luxury Airstream pulled by a new VW SUV. Completely stupid. His friend's comments about giving up work to travel and ski non-stop also did not look or sound good. Loved the Poma ski area, but one of the skier's called it a "resort" and then corrected herself to say "area". There is no building. Just an old camper to sell tickets. The "flashback" scene also was absurd.

Val D'Isere: a highlight from 2015 was the "girl power" scene with three female athletes. Well done. They took the same women and pretty much portrayed them as drinking and partying chicks. Not well portrayed. The skiing was interesting. It climaxed when they started talking about Jean Claude Kiley, so naturally one would expect that this "tribute" would lead to us seeing him. No, instead the girls go hang-gliding and we are sitting there asking why the hell talk about JCK? Compete strikeout.

Squaw Valley: great ski scenes, snow, old scenes, and some history. Too long overall. The first skier talked about how much he loves attention from everyone--and then they spend too much time showing him "hamming it up" with folks. And the tooth scene was just gross.

Silverton: crazy special effects, music, and CGI. The whole thing spins out of control and you get dizzy watching it. Nice seeing this unknown place get some love, but the whole thing, complete with an old unidentified skier commenting about something, just is too chaotic.

Ticket deals: none really. A $45 ticket for a few days at Solitude, a 2 for 1 at Snowbasin, and a few other token items. Good swag from the sponsors outside.

Overall none of my friends want to do it next year...and they are core skiers. Compared to TGR: more money, more crazy special effects, bad product placement, and producers who made their athletes look douchey.

Can't say I'd say go see it.

chuckstah

I can't say that I love the movies, but I sometimes go for the 2-3 lift tickets included in the price. I'll likely go to the showing in Plymouth, NH that includes a Sugarbush and Waterville ticket.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not going this year after many years. Expensive movie tix that was subsidized by some free lift tickets, but aside from Sugarbush (which I love BTW), it's not worth it anymore. Aside from SB all tix are two fers and/or very early season.

Sad because it used to be an event that we'd make a night of with dinner and drinks, but can't justify watching another ski movie i can see online. Oh well.....

Appreciate the breakdown as it helps to know when to step away from the screen. Where I see it, good to take time during the showing to chat up the reps. Your breakdown does make me want to skip most of it and your point of view is often the one I have of WM flicks. I hope Johnny Mosley is not narrating. Probably a good guy, but the dialogue he reads and his voice has me heading for the exits.

Still a M_F Sugarbush and a very limited blackout 2 fer 1 at Smuggs makes it worthwhile for me.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Appreciate the breakdown as it helps to know when to step away from the screen. Where I see it, good to take time during the showing to chat up the reps. Your breakdown does make me want to skip most of it and your point of view is often the one I have of WM flicks. I hope Johnny Mosley is not narrating. Probably a good guy, but the dialogue he reads and his voice has me heading for the exits.

Still a M_F Sugarbush and a very limited blackout 2 fer 1 at Smuggs makes it worthwhile for me.

Johnny Mosley narrates. He is just OK. I hate to be so down on them....the sentiment about this being a tradition that now may have to end is where I am. But we have TGR come to town every year is nice. That was a fun show. It is funny though because it is like pizza--you really have to try to make it bad. The bad lines and terrible product placement ruined what was an otherwise visually stunning piece of film.

KustyTheKlown

TGR, MSP, and all the indies make way cooler films than warren miller. poor boyz, stept, sherpas, red bull...

BenedictGomez

I go to the WM movie every year. It's a great way to get up for the season, and the freebies more than make up for the ticket cost, even if I just use the free day at Sugarbush.

I didnt read past the "good" and "bad" as I dont want spoilers, but I generally agreed with all of it. Except the women part, which surprised me as they usually do exactly the opposite and try to stuff in your face "women who rip" every movie and make sure you're keenly aware that women ski just as good, BETTER even than men (yawn & thanks for the P.S.A.).

In terms of product placement, that's what pays the bills, so I dont mind that at all. Only thing I do mind is that every flippin' year for I-dont-even-know-how-many-years they go to Alaska for helisking using Chugach Powder Guides and Alyskyah (sp), so much so that I can repeat from memory the words, Chugach Powder Guides and Alyskyah (sp) even though I've never been there and dont plan on it. Switch it up guys.

Another annoyance is it got pretty political for a few years, but that clearly changed after what I can only assume was negative feedback.

And I think Jonny Mosely does a great job. Anyone following Warren Miller was gonna' have a tough time. I wouldnt want to go in after Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky retired and be compared to them. My 2¢.

Smellytele

Used to go to the Kristin's gift (Chad ) show in Manchester but it got to pricey and was way too long. I know go to the Plymouth show at the flying monkey. Was better when you got a Cannon ticket.

BenedictGomez

In terms of product placement, that's what pays the bills, so I dont mind that at all.

Okay, so after seeing the 2017 movie last night, I'd like to slightly amend this statement.

I still agree generally with my prior statement, but as a LONGTIME Warren Miller movie viewer (many years), this was the most over-the-top obvious product placement I've seen in a Warren Miller movie.

Usually they slip the placements in to the point you dont even really know it's intentional, or perhaps you notice it, but you're left wondering if it's happenstance or not; but this was ridiculous and in-your-face to the point that surely it was intentional. Which is odd, because that's not how marketing's supposed to work.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I have two words for you, Ducati & Airstream. The term "Sellout" was invented for situations like this.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Okay, so after seeing the 2017 movie last night, I'd like to slightly amend this statement.

I still agree generally with my prior statement, but as a LONGTIME Warren Miller movie viewer (many years), this was the most over-the-top obvious product placement I've seen in a Warren Miller movie.

Usually they slip the placements in to the point you dont even really know it's intentional, or perhaps you notice it, but you're left wondering if it's happenstance or not; but this was ridiculous and in-your-face to the point that surely it was intentional. Which is odd, because that's not how marketing's supposed to work.

If you haven't seen the movie yet, I have two words for you, Ducati & Airstream. The term "Sellout" was invented for situations like this.

I enjoyed it this year despite all the “Evil Capitalism “ on display. My only gripe is ther should be a warning for epileptics as the longest scenes are seconds long, they try to cram in to much travel . Slow it down a little bit please!

It’s a fun night out with a little swag to boot .I had lowered expectations but managed to give it a 7 out of 10.

thetrailboss

Staff member

OK. Glad I was not the only one. The Airstream/Ducati scene was so ridiculous.

BenedictGomez

I had lowered expectations but managed to give it a 7 out of 10.

I'd go lower. It might be the worst one I've seen; that said, yes, it's the experience and the camaraderie and getting psyched for winter (and a few lift tickets) that make the night more than the movie.

The Airstream/Ducati scene was so ridiculous.

It was like I was watching 2 commercials awkwardly spliced together & fused into a 10 minute long commercial from 2 completely disparate corporations.

Ohhh....wait..... that's exactly what it was.

jaybird

OK. Glad I was not the only one. The Airstream/Ducati scene was so ridiculous.

Moseley will do anything to try to maintain a weakened brand that he had nothing to do with establishing.
It's nowhere close to the event it used to be. TGR embarrasses Miller every single season.

Most WME attendees are gapers with big ideas about their ability.
Gomes .. Keep working on that wedge turn .. :-(

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The overriding theme of our review of the movie was the over the top product placement.

We were offered comp tickets to review it by the VT PR company. I told the PR guy, we'd do it if he was ok with the possibility of a negative review. To his credit he was cool with that. After he read the review he said this:

"I wish more articles like this came out about products. Tell it like it is. No one is immune to the product placement but someone’s gotta pay for all this shite. It all hits home when you realize all the athletes in these movies work normal jobs unless they are silly sponsored."

Basically he's saying movies like this are expensive to make and if you want them, you're going to have to "pay" somehow. What do you guys think, will WME survive or thrive producing movies that are this commercial?

I guess if you are paying $25 (how much was it?) for $150 in lift tickets, maybe.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The overriding theme of our review of the movie was the over the top product placement.

We were offered comp tickets to review it by the VT PR company. I told the PR guy, we'd do it if he was ok with the possibility of a negative review. To his credit he was cool with that. After he read the review he said this:

"I wish more articles like this came out about products. Tell it like it is. No one is immune to the product placement but someone’s gotta pay for all this shite. It all hits home when you realize all the athletes in these movies work normal jobs unless they are silly sponsored."

Basically he's saying movies like this are expensive to make and if you want them, you're going to have to "pay" somehow. What do you guys think, will WME survive or thrive producing movies that are this commercial?

I guess if you are paying $25 (how much was it?) for $150 in lift tickets, maybe.

Yeah, but the ticket deals this year were complete crap. At least for my (major) venue.

The product placement got to the point where it completely ruined the movie and made the athletes look stupid. That was another theme--the producers making the athletes look bad.

And I hope you are joking about not knowing who John Egan is.

catskillman

I saw this movie Friday in NJ. They had the airstream trailer parked outside of the theatre and you were able to go in. Very tiny.....interesting. BUT the movie was not great at all and we all spoke about the product placement at intermission.

The other topic discussed was that the MC giving out the prizes was the opposite of an athlete.

There were several free tickets at this show - SB, WIndham, Gore , Steamboat. K was 2 for 1. I can't recall the others.

There was also free samples of emergenC...........

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
"The other topic discussed was that the MC giving out the prizes was the opposite of an athlete".

One part I liked was the scene where kids were involved not Athletes ....They need to do more of Regular People stuff. They might not need as big a budget for top name Athletes and cool the product placement a bit...... Heli Skiing, Big mountain Stuff is nice but they took some "Really Stupid"chances for a 2 second scene. Guy starts a slab avalanche and second skier goes anyway ??????......Definite Darwin candidate ! .

As far as TGR goes maybe next year but "Rogue Elements" nose ring is not very appealing to my demo.