• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill: 2/19/2007

adamti91

Plattekill Mountain, February 19, 2007:

Introduction: Got up at about 9:30, bluebird day and the lot was pretty much empty.

Weapon of Choice: Option Sansalone 135 [PB finished up my board today so I can finally stop using this thing... Can't really carve with it, but what do you expect from a board I had when I was 10?]

Conditions: First run of the day was down Ridge Run to The Cliffs, or something like that, I get confused as to the names of the trails on the Double side of the mountain. Conditions were pretty nasty, real hard scraped and such. Had a lesson from 10-12, then lunch. Took one run with some friends down Bumps over to (I think) Blockbuster, then to Bail Out, and to The Face to the terrain park. Another lesson from 1-3. Headed back over to the Double lift, took a run on Overlook with a friend, but he had to leave after that. Overlook must have warmed up because the scraped snow had softened up. Took a run down Plunge to Giant Slalom back to Plunge, and took the woods run right near Plunge. Real nice woods runs, tons of powder left over from the storm and not tracked out. Last run on the double, followed up by ski patrol closing that side of the mountain, took another run down Plunge but didn't cut through the woods because ski patrol (and my boss) were probably right behind me. Thought the day was over but the Triple was still spinning. Took a run down Sundown > The Chute > Shredded Mozzarella > Woods (near the MAXXIS bike jump) > Why Not. Why Not actually had a nice little table thing, soft landing too. One more run down The Face to the same woods back out onto The Face. The Face had some really icy spots on the top by now (yesterday's big crowd probably didn't help), almost fell in front of the lift audience a few times but caught my balance.

Weather: Cold, below zero when I got up there, warmed to the teens I'm guessing... Sunny when I got up there no clouds in sight, but then got a little overcast as the day went on.

Lifts: No lines.

Notes: Mountain is fully open, but some trails like Plunge had some real big rocks sticking out, not sure where all of that Valentine's snow went.

Rating: 6/10

Conclusion: OK conditions in the middle of the day, worse near the end, really cold.