• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is Powder Magazine any good these days?

KustyTheKlown

yes. powder, freeskier, and backcountry are the 3 "core" magazines. ski, skiing, and anything else are crap.

deepsouthmafia

Interesting. Thoughts on “The Ski Journal?” Seems to take itself a little too seriously, IMO.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My only beef with Powder is they focus so very little on Eastern skiing. Even their gear reviews are all focused on western brah equipment.

thetrailboss

Staff member
yes. powder, freeskier, and backcountry are the 3 "core" magazines. ski, skiing, and anything else are crap.

Agreed. Although note that Skiing is no more. It has been merged (finally) into Ski. Then last few years they would run literally the same damn articles in each...just in different months. 20 years ago they were separate and different.

Speaking of repeating...if I read one more article about skiing in Utah's LaSalle Mountains I will scream. At least two magazines (good ones) ran very similar articles on that range.

Interesting. Thoughts on “The Ski Journal?” Seems to take itself a little too seriously, IMO.

Well, they are an Indie brand going for the high-end and high-brow market. I have enjoyed my subscriptions.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Isnt that every ski mag?
Ski Magazine typically has at least one Eastern skiing focused article each issue. It maybe a cheesy attempt, but they try.

Powder basically has zero Eastern articles

And regarding gear reviews, Ski always has a section devoted to the best Ice Coast offerings. I don't think Powder allows a ski sub 105 waist in their magazine.

I subscribe to both magazines, but haven't received a bill in years. They both end up in a collection basket in our bathroom. I find I reach to the Ski Magazine more than the Powder.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

darent

I am like DHS, get both and read Ski mostly and look at the pictures in Powder, my wife gave me The Ski Journal for my birthday, enjoy it the most.

mackerel_slap

My only beef with Powder is they focus so very little on Eastern skiing. Even their gear reviews are all focused on western brah equipment.

No way, really? Maybe it has something to do with the name of the Magazine, "Powder", and the lack of anything resembling that in the East. Now if the name of the magazine was along the lines of "Glare Ice", "Frozen Granular", or "Blue Ribbon of Death", well then it might be a different story.

Had a decent season last year, but all that darn POWDER made snow removal a real challenge.

Mammoth snowbank.jpg
Good thing I had my "western brah equipment. :p Make sure you get your 167 cm slalom skis tuned up. 5 deg side bevel and you might be able to hold an edge.

SkiingInABlueDream

Head Skis probably paid well for the full page praise of the Kore 105 in the Sept issue.
I still enjoy the magazine for the most part, even if it is long on athlete profiles which I don't care much about.