• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip out west

Sacadelic_Skier

Hello all,

me and my family will be taking a trip out west feb...

We need advice on trying to figure out where to go.

Some thing that are important are snowfall, trees, cruisers, and good places to eat nearby. any suggestions???

Jully

Mt Bachelor fits your bill nicely. Bend Oregon has some great food and a lot of breweries. Legit PNW snowfall, great intermediate terrain all around the mountain and awesome trees. Nothing too extreme, but great intermediate terrain.

Downsides are flight is longer and a little more expensive than a flight to a major hub like SLC or Denver and there is no slopesidr lodging, you stay in Bend and either take a cheap shuttle to the mountain or drive 20 minutes.

Park City Utah is another option with good food, snow and cruisers. Vail too.

jimk

family trip out west feb... where to go... snowfall, trees, cruisers, and good places to eat nearby. any suggestions???

Steamboat is also good for that: http://www.dcski.com/articles/1330
1327842361_pic5.jpg

crank

Bachelor is a really good idea if you are going during February school break time. They are not a major destination resort and the local don't have President's week vacation.

It is not a good idea if you want a slopeside village or accommodations.

Hawk

If you have not been out west much and want a killer experience I would just go to Whistler BC. Little over an hour by bus from Vancouver airport and once you are there you do not need a car. Over a hundred bars and restaurants and all the skiing you can imagine.
https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/

Standard answer that is never wrong is SLC.

Kirkwood would be my sleeper choice for February vacation, but the food is limited.

Abominable

So many options, such a vague question. Such a different between staying at a posh all inclusive resort or ski bumming it and chasing snow with flexibility...

No matter what, I'd delay your booking until you get an idea of who's getting snow. Kirkwood is a great place, but Tahoe is a roll of the dice snow-wise past few years (as an example),

Vortex

Steamboat has awesome trees. Easy, you fly in, shuttle to the town or mountain. Travel everywhere until 2.30 in the morning on a free Public transportation. Buy Max pass Cheaper than the ticket counter. I already booked what I mentioned above.

machski

Steamboat has awesome trees. Easy, you fly in, shuttle to the town or mountain. Travel everywhere until 2.30 in the morning on a free Public transportation. Buy Max pass Cheaper than the ticket counter. I already booked what I mentioned above.
I'll second it, plus Strawberry Hot Springs (which has a comp bus to it). Skiing is ok, if you want real steep western skiing, Steamboat is not the destination.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

mikestaple

I'll second it, plus Strawberry Hot Springs (which has a comp bus to it). Skiing is ok, if you want real steep western skiing, Steamboat is not the destination.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

This. One base. Good on Mountain dining options. Give the kids bird seed. They will eat out of their hands on the Morningside lift.

If you need steep then Big Sky. Take a day off and drive the hour to West Yellowstone and Sno Cat to Old Faithful. All the animals are at the Madison river for the winter. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
This. One base. Good on Mountain dining options. Give the kids bird seed. They will eat out of their hands on the Morningside lift.

If you need steep then Big Sky. Take a day off and drive the hour to West Yellowstone and Sno Cat to Old Faithful. All the animals are at the Madison river for the winter. Amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I'm all for healthy snacks for my son, but isn't feeding your kids bird seed on the lift taking things a bit too far? ;)

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I'm all for healthy snacks for my son, but isn't feeding your kids bird seed on the lift taking things a bit too far? ;)

I don't have kids yet, but I'm saving this in my S.O.T.C. tips file.

High protein, high calorie, and at $5 for a 20 pound bag it will likely last at least 4 or 5 seasons.