Butternut-Otis-Blandford- a threat to other "Flatland" hills?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Butternut-Otis-Blandford- a threat to other "Flatland" hills?

Anyone who doesn't keep up with NESH News- http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com...hp?storyid=612

Financially troubled Ski Blandford has been saved, as the ownership of Ski Butternut has completed its purchase of the Western Massachusetts ski area....Stating that it "does not have the money to continue operations," the Springfield Ski Club told members that if the area was not sold, it would be closed. On July 18, 2017, the membership approved a prospective sale to the ownership of nearby Ski Butternut. On July 25, 2017, Ski Butternut owner Jeffrey Murdock formed Blandford Properties LLC to acquire the ski area.

On September 1, 2017, Blandford Properties LLC acquired the ski area deed from the Springfield Ski Club for $269,000. Subsequently, hundreds of thousands of dollars of mortgages were discharged.
    Butternut's got a nice Massachusetts skiing monopoly forming. I know Otis and Blandford are behind the times...but Butternut is a ski area that did everything right. I haven't been there in several seasons, but the place was always mobbed. 3 Quads, 100% snowmaking, excellent grooming, and a cheap season pass...that's all the people in this region need for them to be customers for life...and it shows. Now with Otis and Blandford do they make a season pass with all three? A Locals pass is something this area desperately needs. No mountain teams up with another...they all fight for customers on their own. Otis and Blandford are no more than "stepping-stone" hills before customers go off to bigger places, a three-mountain pass would certainly delay that transition before they move on the bigger hills, imo.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Agree that they could form a nice multimountain pass. Didn't know they owned Otis too. I wonder if Butternut has upgrades planned for these hills or if they want to just roll them and their customers into Butternut.

They certainly have Route 23 covered pretty good... They are all within 25 minutes of each other. I could see a combined pass and maybe even a couple of shuttles. Change your marketing to combine all three mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    They certainly have Route 23 covered pretty good... They are all within 25 minutes of each other. I could see a combined pass and maybe even a couple of shuttles. Change your marketing to combine all three mountains.
    I've heard terrain at Butternut is pretty mellow. How is terrain at the other two places? Could they try and draw different skiers to different mountains?

Mellow and mellower.

Just enough vert for race training.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

They are all pretty mellow, with Butternut being the best. Otis is very small and Blandford is a little bigger and Butternut is by far the biggest, with over double the elevation of the other two. I just noticed Otis has a pretty nice restaurant onsite, a ski camp and a inn (not sure if that is still used). Who would have figured.

Well there is nothing else in Otis, MA so I figure the one restaurant would be at the ski area.
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Great to see Butternut stepping up to the plate to keep Blandford and Otis Ridge going. Lot of history there. If you want to talk about “threatening” Western Mass monopolies, remember how Jiminy Peak bought Brodie Mountain and then quickly shut it down...

Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Great to see Butternut stepping up to the plate to keep Blandford and Otis Ridge going. Lot of history there. If you want to talk about “threatening” Western Mass monopolies, remember how Jiminy Peak bought Brodie Mountain and then quickly shut it down...
    They bought a extremely struggling Brodie and had full plans to run it proper. That property was in very bad shape and needed way to much money.
    It was not bought to eliminate competition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
    They bought a extremely struggling Brodie and had full plans to run it proper. That property was in very bad shape and needed way to much money.
    It was not bought to eliminate competition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    +1 a true shame, but agreed it was not Jimimy's intention to shut it down. They kept it afloat for a few years too IIRC.

Thread Information