Early Season Snowmaking 2017 - Page 2

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Who will be open by early next week? (you can choose multiple)

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Killington

28 84.85%
  • Sunday River

28 84.85%
  • Sugarloaf

7 21.21%
  • Okemo

10 30.30%
  • Loon

7 21.21%
  • Jay

4 12.12%
  • Bretton Woods

12 36.36%
  • Mount Snow

16 48.48%
  • Jiminy Peak

5 15.15%
  • Wildcat

14 42.42%
  • Woodbury

4 12.12%
  • Another hill that doesn't usually partake in early season action

3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I have hopes of seeing Barker fired up Sunday at SR. They will likely start making Aurora too but doubt we see that this weekend. They have some different plans this year for racing vs public. I know the new Spruce chair is planned to link Barker to Aurora (vs saying thru South Ridge) and I think it will be ready by Thanksgiving weekend. I am also curious to see if K makes a push down to the K1 or just stockpiles the Ridge trails this week. I think Loon will push hard as well as Mount Snow and Okemo this week.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm very surprised to see Mount Snow as the most voted option after SR and Killington. They've never been early-openers...or even close, really. They posted a teaser image on FB with them dragging hoses on the North Face. Okemo and Bretton Woods are much more likely to push openings, based on their pasts.

Of course I'm not complaining...I'd take Mount Snow with Long John, The Gulch, Cascade/Canyon, and a North Face option over Killington with the North Ridge and a WROD down Snowdon leading to Bunny Buster and the end of Chute to get to the Snowdon Quad.

I have Sunday off of work surprisingly and will ski if there's a place top-to-bottom and the weather is OK.
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Guns have been on a few hours at the River. You can see Upper punch and T2 shining white.
    Skiing is my addiction.

North ridge cam looks very white

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Temps are looking really good Later this week. The concern is early next week with a bit of rain in the forecast. Looks to be in the low 40's...which isn't bad. But rain won't help.

Its going to be in the single digits above 3000 feet for much of VT Friday night. If that translates to 15 degrees a 2000 feet, there will be a lot of production not only this week, but just in that over night period.

Will be interesting to see who opens. I suspect Killington and Sunday River will be trying for tomorrow with their typical early season offerings.
    2017-2018

Ski Visits in PA
    Ski Visits in VT
    Total Ski Visits

Ski Roundtop
    Ski Liberty
    Stowe
    Sugarbush
    Killington

I definitely skied Mount Snow on veteran's day one year. IIRC it was Long John/Deer Run and Standard/Canyon or similar. This would have been approx 1993. Then again, as I posted in another thread....I also skied Jiminy on Veteran's day 92. That's a good story for another thread, it involves a very angry father and pouring rain.

Wow! Mount Snow first to announce an opening this weekend. Still think Killington will be open first.

ETA: The announcement included Wildcat, so it was a tie.
    Last edited by spiderpig; Nov 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM.
    2016-17:
    Killington: 10/28, 10/30, 3/25, 5/19
    Okemo: 12/18, 12/19, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, 3/11, 3/17, 3/18, 3/19, 3/24, 3/26, 4/7
    Butternut: 12/26, 1/22
    Mountain Creek: 12/30, 2/19
    Mohawk: 1/2, 1/16
    Stowe: 2/4, 2/5
    Jiminy Peak: 2/11
    Thunder Ridge: 2/18
    Bromley: 3/12
    Stratton: 3/17
    Pico: 3/25
    Jay Peak: 4/8

Wildcat opens Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by spiderpig View Post
    Wow! Mount Snow first to announce an opening this weekend. Still think Killington will be open first.
    AdobeDetail.jpg
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information