• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early Season Snowmaking 2017

Who will be open by early next week? (you can choose multiple)

• Killington

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • Sunday River

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Sugarloaf

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Okemo

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Loon

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Jay

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Bretton Woods

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mount Snow

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • Jiminy Peak

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Wildcat

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Woodbury

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Another hill that doesn't usually partake in early season action

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

WWF-VT

All these mountains opening up this weekend equals a big loss for Killington in early season day tickets sold as they usually have a 2-3 week head start on most Northeast mountains

Smellytele

Trying to go to K if they open Thursday/Friday for the unwashed and then it is onto Wildcat after that. Also have some early season Bretton woods tix to use up.

Hawk

All these mountains opening up this weekend equals a big loss for Killington in early season day tickets sold as they usually have a 2-3 week head start on most Northeast mountains
Yup I bet that is the case but there are still loads of faithful regulars that will only go there. They will do fine.

Vortex

They have added to it, can now see guns going on upper Right Stuff and over toward Locke from the top of Barker. Hard to tell if it's just Jungle Road or Ecstacy too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

I think its jungle Road. Short narrow trail that lets Barker be used for everything quickly. I had heard Wed over the weekend. I thought that was pushing it, but the humidity looks low. I am just going to wait for Friday.

skiberg

I go to bed tonight knowing that I can ski almost any day, and every weekend, from now until May.

skiberg

IMG_0164_normal.JPG
Josh Fox @SingleChairWx Big negative North Atlantic and Arctic Oscillation point toward some possible late month festivities !

This is some good news.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Dam, wish I had time to go to Mt. Snow this weekend. Its free with my PeakPass...

I'm gonna try to go Sunday. Them and Killington will be competing for my $$$. Like I said earlier... Mount Snow with multiple ways down is infinitely better than Killington if there's just one way down Snowdon, even if they can get Rime, Reason, and for haha's...Powerline open in the North Ridge. When was the last time they blew on that for early season turns? It's been forever...

Jully

I think its jungle Road. Short narrow trail that lets Barker be used for everything quickly. I had heard Wed over the weekend. I thought that was pushing it, but the humidity looks low. I am just going to wait for Friday.

I am ready to head up first thing tomorrow morning. Hoping it happens!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Jiminy Peak says they will start making snow tonight and continuing whenever possible. They're pretty aggressive. It wouldn't surprise me if they open Saturday or Sunday.

That's the furthest south hill I know of making snow.

slatham

Guns running on NF at Mt Snow. Maybe the added water will allow them to add NF to normal day 1 frontside trails? That would make MS way more attractive.

drjeff

Guns running on NF at Mt Snow. Maybe the added water will allow them to add NF to normal day 1 frontside trails? That would make MS way more attractive.
My hunch is that you'll see a few different, additional opening day options at Mount Snow over the typical day 1 offering. With practically twice the water per minute available as before, that's a bunch water available to feed additional fan guns, even after the additional water, and air to feed the guns on the Northface are factored into the equation.

It's obvious per the summit webcam that Freefall is part of the opening day plans. The post on their website about the opening day also said a "top to bottom" park at Carinthia, which to me may mean Nitro instead of and/or in addition to Gulch. I also wonder if say Ridge or Snowdance may be in the mix as well?

Peak Admins at past passholders meetings described the upgraded system as basically "think of basically twice the terrain available on opening day as in the past." And with the quite favorable temps showing up shortly, I am quite curious to see what the new system can do!!

While I can't make opening day on Saturday due to family commitments in CT, I am looking forward to experiencing things on Sunday firsthand!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

If everyone can't buy a ticket is it a win? With that said I still believe that they will be the only ones open tomorrow so they should still win.

Fair question...but yes even with a public Thursday opening they should still be "first".