Early Season Snowmaking 2017

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Who will be open by early next week? (you can choose multiple)

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Killington

28 84.85%
  • Sunday River

28 84.85%
  • Sugarloaf

7 21.21%
  • Okemo

10 30.30%
  • Loon

7 21.21%
  • Jay

4 12.12%
  • Bretton Woods

12 36.36%
  • Mount Snow

16 48.48%
  • Jiminy Peak

5 15.15%
  • Wildcat

14 42.42%
  • Woodbury

4 12.12%
  • Another hill that doesn't usually partake in early season action

3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Early Season Snowmaking 2017

I'm hoping this pretty much replaces the "who will open first thread"...because the answer will be known very soon!

With nightly lows in the 20s tonight-Thursday night and high temperatures below freezing Friday and Saturday for everywhere north of the VT/NH-Mass border...I think this will be an unprecedented year for "early" season snowmaking. Rather than a race to get the "white ribbon of death" open...it'll be a race to get the most terrain open. And there'll almost certainly be more players open than the traditional Killington and Sunday River.

So...who gets the most terrain open and who plays the "early season" game that we might not see in a typical year?
    2017-2018 1 Day and counting...
    Mount Snow: 11/12
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

I hope SR pushes expansion hard. They'll want to get South Ridge open by Thanksgiving. It would be cool to have Aurora open by Sunday. Don't know of that will be possible or not.

I really don't care . I expect Sugarbush to be open on November 18th which is their planned opening day.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    I really don't care . I expect Sugarbush to be open on November 18th which is their planned opening day.
    i hope they take advantage of the cold temps down low later this week and make a push to the bottom. They probably won't but wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    I'm hoping this pretty much replaces the "who will open first thread"...because the answer will be known very soon!

With nightly lows in the 20s tonight-Thursday night and high temperatures below freezing Friday and Saturday for everywhere north of the VT/NH-Mass border...I think this will be an unprecedented year for "early" season snowmaking. Rather than a race to get the "white ribbon of death" open...it'll be a race to get the most terrain open. And there'll almost certainly be more players open than the traditional Killington and Sunday River.

So...who gets the most terrain open and who plays the "early season" game that we might not see in a typical year?
    Optimism is good!
    2016/2017: * = powder day
    Berkshire East [January 16, February 10]
    Bolton Valley [January 1, February 5*, February 19]
    Burke [December 17*, January 28*]
    Heavenly [March 5*, March 11]
    Jay Peak [January 29*, April 9]
    Jiminy Peak [November 26]
    Killington [December 4, December 10, April 8*, April 15]
    Kirkwood [March 8]
    Mad River Glen [February 25]
    Magic [February 13*]
    Mt Rose [March 7*]
    Mountain Snow [April 3]
    Northstar [March 10]
    Okemo [November 23]
    Pico [January 7*, February 18, March 19]
    Smuggler’s Notch [January 22]
    Stratton [February 4]
    Stowe [January 21]
    Sugarbush [January 2]
    Telluride [March 27, March 28*]
    Whiteface [February 12]

Whenever Sugarbush opens is fine for me. I do not ever expect them to push to open early, or even on time for that matter. Win really does not care for the early season. There is no Money in it. It gives me the chance to go to Sunday River or even Killington to visit all my old friends from years past. I have not missed opening weekend in New England for the past 30 years and it is one of my favorite weekends of the year. The anticipation, the excitement and renewed energy of ski season really jacks me up. Seeing all your winter friends for the start of the season is a ritual that has been a part of my life for so long. I really love it.

I doubt I'll make opening day. I have too many things to get done before I start skiing (for example usually I put up my Christmas lights the weekend after Thanksgiving...but this year I have a family wedding to attend that weekend so that screws that up). I was at SB's opening day a couple years ago and it was a ton of fun, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to make it if I have other things to get done before the season kicks into high gear.

Have my "early season" planned already. A weekend day at Stowe and Sugarbush on Dec 8-10th, then Founders Day at Mt Snow on the 12th. Not trying to chase the WROD for first turns as I know they will come.

Whether any of these areas open a day or two earlier than the others is insignificant as long as 2nd weekend of Dec forward allows for decent skiing. I know this time of year can still be considered early so have my plans for real mid winter (hopefully) skiing as of post holidays in the works. Still trying to get to Banff, but want to wait till a bit later in the season such as mid March for snowpack and weather.

in any event....it's time...and the stoke is high!

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbushskier View Post
    Have my "early season" planned already. A weekend day at Stowe and Sugarbush on Dec 8-10th, then Founders Day at Mt Snow on the 12th. Not trying to chase the WROD for first turns as I know they will come.
    Castlerock run Dec 10th 2016 didn't suck...

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Castlerock run Dec 10th 2016 didn't suck...

No it did not! Sometimes you get lucky.

Thread Information