• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2017/2018 Season Thread

skiNEwhere

11 days. Already reached a 1/3 of my total from last year.

That being said, we're off to a very slow start out west. CO and UT has very little terrain open currently

Sent from my SM-G955U using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
11/11/17-Mt. Snow
11/18-Mt. Snow
11/24-Windham
11/26-Belleayre
11/29-Hunter

Hunter the only Catskill mountain open for skiing early midweek. Scored a $39.99 ticket online and enjoyed some good conditions. Warm and sunny early, cloudy colder and increasingly windy in the afternoon. Good day!

nhskier1969

Has anyone been to Loon today. The said they got four inches of snow last night. I looked at Cannons report and they reported one inch of heavy snow(sledge) upper mtn 400". I looked at Jay Peak, Wildcat etc.. and no one reported snow. Can anyone verify this? How could Cannon at 4000 feet report snow on upper mtn and Loon at 3000 feet report 4 inches?

JimG.

Staff member
11/11/17-Mt. Snow
11/18-Mt. Snow
11/24-Windham
11/26-Belleayre
11/29-Hunter
12/1-Belleayre

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Anyone been to Schweitzer? Any tips on terrain? We're staying slope side at the Selkirk Lodge so access should be easy.

Schweitzer looks cool. I don't know to much about it, but off the beaten path sounds good to me. Good luck.

JimG ... any beta on Belle yesterday?

I got 2 days at Gore:

Gore 11/24
Gore 11/25
Belle 12/3

Last edited:

Wicked1

I skied Loon Friday. Lower Flume was outstanding. Soft heavy snow like spring conditions. Rest of the trails got skied off early.
Don't know how it happened. The weather report said it was going to rain.
On the drive up, there was snow on the sides of 93 north of Plymouth. The mountains were white with fresh snow that wasn't there on Thursday.

Jcb890

1: Mount Snow - 11/12
2: Mount Snow - 11/18
3: Mount Snow - 11/25
4: Mount Snow - 12/3

SkiMom80

11/18 - Bretton Woods
11/24 - Cannon
11/25 - Cannon
11/26 - Bretton Woods
12/2 - Cannon
12/3 - Waterville Valley

Cannon was awesome on Saturday. Tramway was amazing, and my older kids loved skiing on the front. The front was a little hard/icy for my snowboarding husband, so he took the 4-year-old and let me get in some good runs. Hallelujah, because if I had to do one more run down Gremlin I was going to lose it :-o!

Sunday we went to Waterville, and it was my first time there. There were really only 2 trails open, but the snow was pretty nice on most of it. Certainly not thrill inducing, but it was a fun day out with the kids, and it was nice to get the 4-year-old on some longer trails.

I must say that the WM Superpass has been awesome in the early season when most mountains only have a couple trails open. Being able to ski at different places has offered us a lot more variety than we would typically get this time of year. Each mountain really has its perks, and being able to choose which one we go to based on mood, crowds, and conditions has been awesome so far!

KustyTheKlown

1. 11/17 - Killington
2. 11/18 - Okemo
3. 11/26 - Windham
4. 12/02 - Killington
5. 12/03 - Stratton

Killington continues to impress with their early season snowmaking efforts, getting multiple routes down from rams head to superstar chair and everything in between. by the end of the day the skyehawk and ovation headwalls had opened, and it was clear that cascade and bittersweet are coming soon, with middle ovation not much further behind. between superstar, skyelark, east fall, highline, ridge run, and chute, there was fun skiing to be had. highest marks go to the "natural snow" on ridge run which was super fun in thin cover. . I put "natural snow" in quotes because I assume this is mostly wind carried snowmaking snow from the other efforts on north ridge. top skier's right of east fall had bumps. middle to lower skier's left of east fall had bumps thru the trees. catwalk and powerline were fun for poaching, as was the top of royal flush and the top of great bear. I skied 30k feet in a marathon day of skiing, then drove over to Woodstock and found a really great beer store

Sunday headed over to Stratton, where the day consisted of black bear>polar bear>franks fall line>spruce, janeway>slalom, janeway>drifter, repeat 3-4x. dancing bear, and whatever the glade is next to spruce, had enough snowmaking snow blown in to make a few cautious turns. nothing fancy but felt good to ski short stretches thru the woods. started skiing at 9:30, had 25k vertical skied by 1, decided to hit the road. home in Brooklyn by 6.

legs are sore at the office this morning. eagerly watching the weather reports and trying to figure out where to make moves this weekend. I have Friday off and a buddy is coming along. I think we may do jay Friday, k Saturday, okemo or Stratton sunday. not sure if maine is worth the trip yet. quebec seems far this early in the season, tho they may get the best snow this week. gore/whiteface? I dunno.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Schweitzer looks cool. I don't know to much about it, but off the beaten path sounds good to me. Good luck.

JimG ... any beta on Belle yesterday?

I got 2 days at Gore:

Gore 11/24
Gore 11/25

Belle Onteora only. Great coverage but one route down gets boring after 4 hours or so.

There is snow on other trails but they are not ready to ski yet. Sorry for late and probably useless now intel.

JimG.

Staff member
11/11/17-Mt. Snow
11/18-Mt. Snow
11/24-Windham
11/26-Belleayre
11/29-Hunter
12/1-Belleayre
12/3-Hunter

I will stick to midweek at Hunter until more terrain opens. Too many race groups and flying bodies in general to be really enjoyable.
Terrain choices and snow quality were good, just a little too many people. Had a good time skiing with all the Hunter regulars though.

bdfreetuna

Only got 1 day in but my daughter was born on December 3rd... c section and just got home from the hospital with my wife today.

Not only am I elated by current events but not too upset the skiing isn't prime right now.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Only got 1 day in but my daughter was born on December 3rd... c section and just got home from the hospital with my wife today.

Not only am I elated by current events but not too upset the skiing isn't prime right now.

Congrats! ....Hope your daughter lets you get some sleep in a month or two. :smile:

JDMRoma

Congrats Tuna ! Sometimes there are things more important than skiing.......this would be one ! Enjoy they grow up fast !

Last edited: