AlpineZone

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    11/18 - Bretton Woods
    11/24 - Cannon
    11/25 - Cannon
    11/26 - Bretton Woods
    12/2 - Cannon
    12/3 - Waterville Valley

Cannon was awesome on Saturday. Tramway was amazing, and my older kids loved skiing on the front. The front was a little hard/icy for my snowboarding husband, so he took the 4-year-old and let me get in some good runs. Hallelujah, because if I had to do one more run down Gremlin I was going to lose it !

Sunday we went to Waterville, and it was my first time there. There were really only 2 trails open, but the snow was pretty nice on most of it. Certainly not thrill inducing, but it was a fun day out with the kids, and it was nice to get the 4-year-old on some longer trails.

I must say that the WM Superpass has been awesome in the early season when most mountains only have a couple trails open. Being able to ski at different places has offered us a lot more variety than we would typically get this time of year. Each mountain really has its perks, and being able to choose which one we go to based on mood, crowds, and conditions has been awesome so far!

1. 11/17 - Killington
    2. 11/18 - Okemo
    3. 11/26 - Windham
    4. 12/02 - Killington
    5. 12/03 - Stratton

Killington continues to impress with their early season snowmaking efforts, getting multiple routes down from rams head to superstar chair and everything in between. by the end of the day the skyehawk and ovation headwalls had opened, and it was clear that cascade and bittersweet are coming soon, with middle ovation not much further behind. between superstar, skyelark, east fall, highline, ridge run, and chute, there was fun skiing to be had. highest marks go to the "natural snow" on ridge run which was super fun in thin cover. . I put "natural snow" in quotes because I assume this is mostly wind carried snowmaking snow from the other efforts on north ridge. top skier's right of east fall had bumps. middle to lower skier's left of east fall had bumps thru the trees. catwalk and powerline were fun for poaching, as was the top of royal flush and the top of great bear. I skied 30k feet in a marathon day of skiing, then drove over to Woodstock and found a really great beer store

Sunday headed over to Stratton, where the day consisted of black bear>polar bear>franks fall line>spruce, janeway>slalom, janeway>drifter, repeat 3-4x. dancing bear, and whatever the glade is next to spruce, had enough snowmaking snow blown in to make a few cautious turns. nothing fancy but felt good to ski short stretches thru the woods. started skiing at 9:30, had 25k vertical skied by 1, decided to hit the road. home in Brooklyn by 6.

legs are sore at the office this morning. eagerly watching the weather reports and trying to figure out where to make moves this weekend. I have Friday off and a buddy is coming along. I think we may do jay Friday, k Saturday, okemo or Stratton sunday. not sure if maine is worth the trip yet. quebec seems far this early in the season, tho they may get the best snow this week. gore/whiteface? I dunno.
    Last edited by KustyTheKlown; Dec 4, 2017 at 10:22 AM.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Schweitzer looks cool. I don't know to much about it, but off the beaten path sounds good to me. Good luck.

JimG ... any beta on Belle yesterday?

I got 2 days at Gore:

Gore 11/24
    Gore 11/25
    Belle Onteora only. Great coverage but one route down gets boring after 4 hours or so.

There is snow on other trails but they are not ready to ski yet. Sorry for late and probably useless now intel.

11/11/17-Mt. Snow
    11/18-Mt. Snow
    11/24-Windham
    11/26-Belleayre
    11/29-Hunter
    12/1-Belleayre
    12/3-Hunter

I will stick to midweek at Hunter until more terrain opens. Too many race groups and flying bodies in general to be really enjoyable.
    Terrain choices and snow quality were good, just a little too many people. Had a good time skiing with all the Hunter regulars though.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I don't think we have a thread yet, but here goes:

1. November 22, 2017: Snowbird (The Big Gameday!)
    2. December 2, 2017: Alta.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Only got 1 day in but my daughter was born on December 3rd... c section and just got home from the hospital with my wife today.

Not only am I elated by current events but not too upset the skiing isn't prime right now.
    2017/2018: Baby Julia born 12/3/2017!
    [Killington: 12/15] [Mount Snow: 11/27]

2016/2017: * = powder day
    [Berkshire East: 1/16, 2/10] [Bolton Valley: 1/1, 2/5*, 2/19] [Burke: 12/17*, 1/28*] [Heavenly: 3/5*, 3/11] [Jay Peak: 1/29*, 4/9] [Jiminy Peak: 11/26] [Killington: 12/4, 12/10, 4/8*, 4/15] [Kirkwood: 3/8] [Mad River Glen: 2/25] [Magic: 2/13*] [Mt Rose: 3/7*] [Mount Snow: 4/3] [Northstar: 4/10] [Okemo: 11/23] [Pico: 1/7*, 2/18, 3/19] [Smuggler’s Notch: 1/22] [Stratton: 2/4] [Stowe: 1/21] [Sugarbush: 1/2] [Telluride: 3/27, 3/28*] [Whiteface: 2/12]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Only got 1 day in but my daughter was born on December 3rd.
    Congrats BD!!

I got 3 days:

Day 1 - Nov 24 - Gore
    Day 2 - Nov 25 - Gore
    Day 3 - Dec 03 - Belleayre Onteora and Lodge Inspection

Some pics from Belle. Lots left to do on the Gondi I think.

Only got 1 day in but my daughter was born on December 3rd... c section and just got home from the hospital with my wife today.

Not only am I elated by current events but not too upset the skiing isn't prime right now.
    Congrats! ....Hope your daughter lets you get some sleep in a month or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Lots left to do on the Gondi I think.
    At least they fixed the spelling of "Catskill Thunder" on the cabins.

Congrats Tuna ! Sometimes there are things more important than skiing.......this would be one ! Enjoy they grow up fast !
    Last edited by JDMRoma; Dec 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM.

Thread Information