• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your 2017/2018 Season Thread

KustyTheKlown

yep i already booked a backup hotel in Jackson for a few of the midweek nights of my trip. i have a shitty rental car which I'm a little wary of driving up and over teton pass. i also am not so keen on going out of pocket for Jackson tickets. but its an option being considered.

KustyTheKlown

just booked seattle for MLK weekend 1/11-1/15, with ski days on the 12, 13, 14, and 15. round trip flights at the perfect times for $265 total. buddy who lives in seattle who can provide a bed in the city and a ride to the mountains, and he'll probably split a hotel with me closer to crystal for at least 2 nights so we don't have to back and forth drive every day. max pass. will do 3 crystal/1 alpental. or maybe drive to bachelor for a couple days. it's all going to be very inexpensive. they already have so much snow. stokeeeeed.

Jcb890

just booked seattle for MLK weekend 1/11-1/15, with ski days on the 12, 13, 14, and 15. round trip flights at the perfect times for $265 total. buddy who lives in seattle who can provide a bed in the city and a ride to the mountains, and he'll probably split a hotel with me closer to crystal for at least 2 nights so we don't have to back and forth drive every day. max pass. will do 3 crystal/1 alpental. or maybe drive to bachelor for a couple days. it's all going to be very inexpensive. they already have so much snow. stokeeeeed.
There ya go! Debating Bachelor this season myself... not sure if it'll work out or not.

Just booked my February Schweitzer trip. Never been there, but terrain and size of the area is almost identical to Fernie, 2500+ acres, 2400 feet of vertical. I'm hoping for another good snowfall year as the trees there look amazing! I also like the fact that summit is less than 7K feet so hopefully I won't be sucking wind the first couple of days.

Anyone been to Schweitzer? Any tips on terrain? We're staying slope side at the Selkirk Lodge so access should be easy.

bdfreetuna

Just booked my February Schweitzer trip. Never been there, but terrain and size of the area is almost identical to Fernie, 2500+ acres, 2400 feet of vertical. I'm hoping for another good snowfall year as the trees there look amazing! I also like the fact that summit is less than 7K feet so hopefully I won't be sucking wind the first couple of days.

Anyone been to Schweitzer? Any tips on terrain? We're staying slope side at the Selkirk Lodge so access should be easy.
Nice that looks like a great mountain.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AlpineZone mobile app

ski2die

Visited for 3 days in March '13 and even stayed at the Selkirk Lodge! It's an easy 100 yd walk through the Village Square to the lifts. Bring your SG skis and start your day with some front-side laps on the stellar groomers, Pend Oreille and Sundance. Each has enough pitch to obtain super-sonic speeds with enough width so you can avoid terrorizing the locals. Then grab your fatties and head for Outback Bowl. The Bowl forms a semi-circle around the Snow Ghost Double, so depending on the sun, wind, and snow conditions you should have a good shot at finding the goods. The steeps at the top of the bowl are challenging enough, but are a little short - maybe 600-700 vertical. There are also plenty of tree options lower down and interspersed with the chutes further out along the sides of the bowl. There are also several nice trail pods served with high-speed lifts. I especially like the Stella lift. I used the blue groomers here as a respite between laps in Glade-iator - my favorite trail at Schweitzer. I should also mention the short steeps and the gorgeous views off the Lakeview Triple.
001_Enhanced-769079.jpg
looking back up Lower Snow Ghost

Last edited:
Thanks Ski2die! My plan is to bring both my SG skis and my Chams with the hope that they'll be some powder days! In looking at the map the Stella & Snow Ghost chairs in the Outback bowl look incredible and I love the fact that there appears to be trees almost ttb in this bowl so expect I'll be playing in there as often as possible. Appreciate the ski trail heads up and will take a run (or five) down Glade-iator for you.

JimG.

Staff member
11/11/17-Mt. Snow
11/18-Mt. Snow

Pretty much like last week with a few more open connector trails. 9:30-noon was sunny and nice; when I quit at 2:30 it was a drizzle/snow mix. Still great coverage. Freefall was scratchy but worth a few laps in the am.

Jully

Day three at Sunday River today. Was a reverse spring conditions day. Frozen, chalky material in the afternoon that took over for some very nice buttery rain soaked slushy snow. Imagine the rest of NE was the same.

SkiMom80

Kicked off the season at BW on Saturday. Can't wait for Cannon to open on Friday!

SIKSKIER

Kicked off the season at BW on Saturday. Can't wait for Cannon to open on Friday!
Kind od depressing there this weekend.I got to my Mittersill house early Sat afternoon and all sm was shut down.As is so typical at my house,the south wind was blowing bigtime all Saturday night.Got almost no sleep as the winds were 40+ I would guess.When I got up to leave Sunday morning the temp outside my door was 40 friggin 8.Yup 48.WMUR weather I watched before I left showed everybody north of Concord in the mid thirties.Even Mt Wash was 38 up high.It amazes me how the top of Franconia Notch can have such incredible warm ups with a strong south wind.All natural snow was melted but the Snowmaking whales looked fine.I mile south it looked like mid winter and the temp was 37.Yup crazy.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Your 2017-2018 Season Tally

I don't think we have a thread yet, but here goes:

1. November 22, 2017: Snowbird (The Big Gameday!)

JimG.

Staff member
11/11/17-Mt. Snow
11/18-Mt. Snow
11/24-Windham

On my MAX pass and cost me nothing to go so why not?

Fun times with the western NY crew.