• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice in deciding on ski length

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm 5' 7", 165lbs

181cm Icelantic Keeper SKNY skis, 95mm underfoot, rocker/camber/rocker with a massive shovel and is a twin tip.
172 Dynastar CR 74 skis, 74cm underfoot, camber with tip rocker.

Just in case the OP is keeping score....

BenedictGomez

Float is only relevant in powder which never lasts very long in eastern resort, even in the woods. You can do fine in powder with 84mm width although they will not be the ultimate tool in virgin powder.

Well, yes, but that's exactly what I'm talking about for "all-mountain". And I'm speaking to his exact situation as a really tall 6'4" male.

I cant imagine a guy that big on 178 with 84 underfoot is going to get very good powder or tree skiing performance unless he's a beanpole. He didn't give his weight, but figure 220 pounds and factor that in. Again, however, if he's a groomer skier, then this doesn't matter.

That said, I do agree the #1 "ski mistake" in 2017 is people skiing on skis that are longer-than-necessary. But 178 for someone 6'4" is short as heck.

kingslug

I was at Hunter for the storm of the century..7 feet in 4 days. Very heavy, and my 174 x 84 volkyls where a nightmare to deal with. Picked up my 98 twin tips on Saturday, came back on Sunday and had a blast. Its what turned me on to skis like that. Since retired those and went with a 105 as half my skiing is out west. And yes last season was spent in more powder than I could ever remember. Picked up 117's for those days. So I'll just bring both. I do have a pair of Sultan 85's lying around which I'm considering putting back in the quiver for the East coast hard pack days. I'm sure they would be truly better than the 105's in most conditions here.

BenedictGomez

I do have a pair of Sultan 85's lying around which I'm considering putting back in the quiver for the East coast hard pack days.

For east coast early season, really bad conditions, or about anytime in the Poconos skiing, I have an old pair of Salomon X-Screams which are 66 underfoot I believe. I call them my Poconos Skis as that's pretty much the only time I ever use them.

My daily drivers are 90 underfoot, and they do very nice on groomed trails, but there's no comparison to the 66. It's the difference between being in a sedan or on a motorcycle. Only use them about once a year though as I rarely ever ski the Poconos. I really should do more night skiing there.

daverissin

I ended up making it out to Wachusett yesterday for the demo day and tested a bunch of skis. The 180 cm is just about perfect for me for the ski type/shape I am looking for.

Top 3 for me that I tested were:
1) 180 cm Head Kore 93
2) 180 cm Rossingnol Experience 88
3) 177 cm Nordica Enforcer 93

I tried the 171 Head Kore and it was too short, for sure. The 185 cm Nordica Enforcer 93 felt a little too long/stiff in the tails (maybe more because of construction vs. length. The Head Kore ski is really amazing though. It carves great and busts through chop and is super light and nimble.

Either way, best advice was to just suck it up and go demo!