• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

prsboogie

Got there at the crack of 930 and there were already soft piles of powder everywhere. Made for some fun skiing. Definitely there was some glacial patches on the headwalls. Nice surprise finding The Substance on tap in the Goggle.
989149183951c6a723a42536dd289458.jpg
bbe2e63cac9ab66ccacf36fa012a44dd.jpg
112ad7c64e44a940512e03632f37e8b9.jpg
4eab860e2ab1909bc2720ecf9c6eaad7.jpg
2ee65c184c8c60d2558ca8162b6bd7ac.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
e67545f84bfa361d26fcb9f3244924ac.jpg

Last edited:

prsboogie

Oops, sorry guys grabbed the wrong party pic, edited to correct, not much different except WH in the background [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

shwilly

Very nice weekend starting with a mini powder morning. I had too many IPAs Friday night and didn't make first chair yesterday. Not to worry, there were plenty of good lines left.

We had fun, the kids had fun, our beginner friends had fun. I haven't yet adjusted to needing sunscreen before each ski day. My younger daughter claims she got the last cheese pizza slice of the year at North Peak.

January and most of February were pretty meh, but these last 5 weeks have really saved the season.

Hope your knee recovers quickly, nanjil.

lentilmaps

Skied SR both Saturday and Sunday. Coverage was excellent, the entire mountain skied well. Was surprised how well the woods are holding up; the 4-5 inches Friday night really helped. It felt like midwinter on the summits, corn fest by the afternoon down below.

All 8 peaks are supposed to be open next weekend - definitely suggest going west for the last turns on Aurora/Oz/Jordan. The woods on the west side seemed to be holding onto snow better than some of the eastern woods. Kudos to the kind patrol member who was roping off Poppy Fields for the day Sunday but let me in. It was worth it:
5b08b075eb6a9bc5cc25d7fa760bf6d1.jpg

~lm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shwilly

Crowds should be down. Glades have been good for weeks, but getting a bit bony. If there's no new snow, I would take it easy on the glades unless you can see a clear line through.

If you're staying at the Grand Summit hotel, the Little White Cap lift (if running, not sure) will be right outside. You can start with a run or two there to get your legs.

If you're a beginner, I would skip the White Heat chair to begin with, as that area is a bit steeper. It's a lot of fun when you want to do some steeper trails, though.

You can get from the White Cap area to the Barker base on the trails Cascade or Bear Paw (and from there to South Ridge via Easy Street). Cascade is blue; Bear Paw is "green" but should be blue. (It isn't steep but has sweeping banked turns which may intimidate true beginners.)

The real beginner area is South Ridge. Nearby on North Peak is the cruiser Dreammaker, which is a more difficult green. If you can do Dreammaker easily then most of the blues around the mountain will be fine.

In the Jordan area is Lollapalooza, another "high green." Right off of this is the gentlest glade on the mountain, Blind Ambition. Blind Ambition is a ton of fun if coverage is reasonable.

There are blue cruisers all over the place. One thing that might be fun to try is the boardercross course near the bottom of the Barker lift. You can access that from Sunday Punch.

If you're starting at the Grand Summit, one approach would be to try Little White Cap, then after taking the White Cap chair, try Wildfire or Cascade. If those are intimidating, head over to South Ridge and work your way up gradually. If Wildfire and Cascade are easy, you'll be good to go off of basically any lift.

In any case, have fun!

machski

Wow!!! I just got back in from 4 1/2 hrs of skiing. What great conditions. 2" surface over the base, hardly any one there. About 2 rows worth of cars in the lot. No lines at all. About noon the slush started making it's appearance, at the lower areas and moving up. This slush, unlike 2 weeks ago, was not sticky, you could ski through it and slide pretty well. If you have the opportunity, tomorrow should be a real good day....
Then it's not slush, it's corn!!

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Hey all, what's my weekend plan? The weather keeps changing. Originally, it looked like Saturday was the golden day. Now, perhaps Sunday? Toying with the idea of waiting until Friday to buy online lift tickets. We head up crack of dawn Saturday and leave Monday AM. So, have two days to board. Also, I typically love first chair. Better to wait? We will start at White Cap and work our way over to Jordan and then back. I don't do a lot at Oz or White Cap as I am an an intermediate preferring blues and single diamonds.

machski

Hey all, what's my weekend plan? The weather keeps changing. Originally, it looked like Saturday was the golden day. Now, perhaps Sunday? Toying with the idea of waiting until Friday to buy online lift tickets. We head up crack of dawn Saturday and leave Monday AM. So, have two days to board. Also, I typically love first chair. Better to wait? We will start at White Cap and work our way over to Jordan and then back. I don't do a lot at Oz or White Cap as I am an an intermediate preferring blues and single diamonds.
Hard to tell with this weather pattern. Easier for me to decide with a season pass, depends what your tolerance is to be out given the way things keep swinging.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jcb890

We might do a day trip up to Sunday River on Sunday. It looks like they may get and stay as all snow Saturday through Sunday, so I'll take that over rain.