Sunday River So Far - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shwilly View Post
    This is a lot of agita over one lift hold. How about we let the season get started before drawing conclusions about their lift maintenance strategy?
    It is one lift hold, but Barker had significant problems last year, and the year before that, and that. Last year others down for a week in peak season. Every time they try to fix it something else goes wrong.

I think Hawk sums it up perfectly. River skiers expect the best, that is why they ski there. Anyone with a brain, like Uphillklimber clearly has, will always temper any complaints with "I know the river is great, BUT." These complaints aren't because we are ungrateful.

I have to think SR is replacing Barker within the next 3 years at the latest. The problems are becoming too frequent and undoubtedly too expensive to warrant.

Man, you guys are tough. Uphillklimber is one of the biggest Sunday River advocates out there.

Nothing against uphillklimber. Just happy with the River.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Man, you guys are tough. Uphillklimber is one of the biggest Sunday River advocates out there.
    He came here to complain - I did not see him in other posts related to early season skiing and how great it was (which I've only glanced at so don't shoot me if I'm wrong).

When i hear "world class" I imagine Vail. Not Maine. The term is relative lol. Their cafeteria food is not world class. Nor their bathrooms. Or their parking lots. Neither are K's (minus peak lodge). Can't speak for other NE places - but I don't have the budget if the place was to get "World Class" status and update everything. They could start with a potty close to our favorite pub - lmao. If what Machski says is correct - a snowmaking pump is as much as a lift?! Nutso - and an industry that is struggling to survive. So I give SR a pass when stuff happens - they are working hard with what they have.

People come here to complain and brag about areas that is what this is for. If you get only one side you what as well be a republican watching Fox news or a democrat watching MSNBC. People get too defensive of their "home" mountain. UHK is usually a homer when it comes to SR (I have attacked him on this before) but he sees past issues with Boyne and lift maintenance and has every right to question what is going on and if things could be done differently.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days

If you lump in the Loaf issues in recent years, Boyne is spending an inordinate amount of time putting out fires when it comes to lifts, so it’s certainly something for ski nerds to ponder.

Ski areas try to run lifts as long as possible so the problems Boyne is experiencing could spread as the lifts set new precedents in length of service.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    If you lump in the Loaf issues in recent years, Boyne is spending an inordinate amount of time putting out fires when it comes to lifts, so it’s certainly something for ski nerds to ponder.

Ski areas try to run lifts as long as possible so the problems Boyne is experiencing could spread as the lifts set new precedents in length of service.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    One SL issue was a design flaw, the other was a botched repair job on an old lift gone coupled with a set of unfortunate circumstances. SR's Spruce Peak issue was basically a design flaw.

As lifts get older, I do not think systematic design flaws, like what happened with Borvigs (at Boyne properties and elsewhere) the past few years will surface.

I think repair jobs that were screwed up could definitely become an issue and just simple wear and tear that is not caught by routine maintenance. Hopefully nothing as serious as a deropement happens, but significant lift downtime because of a messed up 20 year old repair job finally kicking it? Possibly.

While I hold Sugarloaf responsible for what happened with their lifts, I do not think their lift maintenance staff and policies were way below industry standard.

Hey guys, Homer here again, it's raining now and I have a few other things to do today as well. Just checking in.

Last year, someone discussed some of the rationale most likely behind management's attempts at maintenance. A mechanic will see something as ready to go, let's go ahead and change it out. Management says, wait a minute, will this last 5 more hours or 5 more months. Mechanic says, no way to tell for sure. Invariably, it'll last several months more, justifying management wanting to wait. Understandably so, wring every bit of life out of it that you can. But.... did they order the part that was going to go soon? So that it is sitting on a shelf ready for a quick replacement amounting to, perhaps, part of a day, as opposed to a multi day shut down?

I get that some parts are no longer in production and need to be special ordered. But if you know you need the part soon, just don't when, you won't save any money ordering it earlier, or later for that matter, unless you are paying rush status and overnight delivery.

By the way, skiing early this morning at THE RIVER was pretty awesome!
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post

I get that some parts are no longer in production and need to be special ordered. But if you know you need the part soon, just don't when, you won't save any money ordering it earlier, or later for that matter, unless you are paying rush status and overnight delivery.
    A good question. I wonder if this works for every part though? Some parts definitely, but would some not show signs of imminent failure until they fail? I am not a mechanic at all, so can't say.

A third factor might prevent SR from ordering the part beforehand: Boyne/CNL/OZ have indicated that Barker might be replaced this offseason, so don't put any additional money into the lift than what you have to.

Alternately the way reimbursement for expenditures on lift maintenance works might prevent pre-ordering a part that is going to break. That would be frustrating, but given the nature of REITs and the lease, it wouldn't shock me.

I'd like to think that someone at Sunday River in lift maintenance would have the foresight and management skills to pre-order parts that were about to break if it were as simple as that, but I'm willing to bet there is a little more complexity holding it back.

Then again, with your first hand experience with the gas pump, maybe not.

If nothing else, this illustrates the perception problem that SR faces. One 90 minute lift hold is all it takes for us to rehash problems last season, notable lift failures in the state of Maine since 2010, and some story about a truck back in the day. That reaction seems out of proportion to the event, but whatever.

Sometimes a lift hold is just a lift hold. If the Barker lift has ongoing problems this season, that will become apparent soon enough. Personally I will wait a bit before drawing that conclusion.

Thread Information