Sunday River So Far - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63
  1. #21
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by shwilly View Post
    If nothing else, this illustrates the perception problem that SR faces. One 90 minute lift hold is all it takes for us to rehash problems last season, notable lift failures in the state of Maine since 2010, and some story about a truck back in the day. That reaction seems out of proportion to the event, but whatever.

    Sometimes a lift hold is just a lift hold. If the Barker lift has ongoing problems this season, that will become apparent soon enough. Personally I will wait a bit before drawing that conclusion.
    Yes, a lift hold is just that, agreed. Perhaps if Boyne wants to get out from under this “perception”, they should minimize the lift issues they’ve persistently had for years. I say this as a fan of their ski areas. Again, we’re ski nerds talking lifts, so it’s all fair game.


  2. #22
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    A third factor might prevent SR from ordering the part beforehand: Boyne/CNL/OZ have indicated that Barker might be replaced this offseason, so don't put any additional money into the lift.
    Not sure where you heard that floating around. Would love to believe it but top of the food chain at SR has told me rather recently we are probably stuck with the current Barker for a while.

    Yup, the western water feed is quite a big pricetag. Of course we are talking a whole new draw with associated pumps, water main up to Jordan and tie into the existing system. I've heard the plan is another 4-5000 gpm onto the mountain. That would boost water capacity to 12-13000gpm.


    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

  3. #23
    Wow. That's insane. The GM at Wildcat the other day was telling me they pump about 2200 gpm there. Obviously Cat is a much smaller operation.

    Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Not sure where you heard that floating around. Would love to believe it but top of the food chain at SR has told me rather recently we are probably stuck with the current Barker for a while.

    Yup, the western water feed is quite a big pricetag. Of course we are talking a whole new draw with associated pumps, water main up to Jordan and tie into the existing system. I've heard the plan is another 4-5000 gpm onto the mountain. That would boost water capacity to 12-13000gpm.


    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Heard it from a friend at Gould (who heard from another source) that a Barker replacement was inside 3 years, but I was always skeptical. That's really too bad, but i can respect that decision regarding the pump. An additional 4 to 5k GPM would be incredible. Does this have anything to do with the pumping issues out west last year too? In thought I remember hearing it did.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Yes, a lift hold is just that, agreed. Perhaps if Boyne wants to get out from under this “perception”, they should minimize the lift issues they’ve persistently had for years. I say this as a fan of their ski areas. Again, we’re ski nerds talking lifts, so it’s all fair game.

    This! This is my whole point.
    lovin life,

    Bob

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Not sure where you heard that floating around. Would love to believe it but top of the food chain at SR has told me rather recently we are probably stuck with the current Barker for a while.

    Yup, the western water feed is quite a big pricetag. Of course we are talking a whole new draw with associated pumps, water main up to Jordan and tie into the existing system. I've heard the plan is another 4-5000 gpm onto the mountain. That would boost water capacity to 12-13000gpm.


    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app
    It is my understanding from talking to certain individuals that Sunday River now has more air capacity than water capacity owing to all the high efficiency guns. They can move air to the Jordan basin quite well, but with water the efficiency drops off so when blowing snow in Jordan/Aurora, they cannot blow as much water as they would wish. The new pump and pond they are angling for would come into the Jordan basin so they would be able to blow at Jordan/Aurora and use the original feed to blow in the main South Ridge/Barker area at the same time. The firepower would be quite impressive!

  7. #27
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickc View Post
    It is my understanding from talking to certain individuals that Sunday River now has more air capacity than water capacity owing to all the high efficiency guns. They can move air to the Jordan basin quite well, but with water the efficiency drops off so when blowing snow in Jordan/Aurora, they cannot blow as much water as they would wish. The new pump and pond they are angling for would come into the Jordan basin so they would be able to blow at Jordan/Aurora and use the original feed to blow in the main South Ridge/Barker area at the same time. The firepower would be quite impressive!
    Yes, that's my understanding as well. Rather than just add feed on the current line, this would allow them to blow both the western and Eastern extremes more efficiently simultaneously. Look at the location of both hotels and you understand why this is put high up on the priorities list.

    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

  8. #28
    Newpylong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Upper Valley, NH
    Posts
    2,759
    The further you move water the lower the pressure due to head and friction losses. This is often negated with booster stations. I am not familiar with Sunday River's system but that is crazy if they are currently moving water at high pressure from one side to the other. Of course if that's your only option you deal with it but it is very inefficient.

    Killington has both the Snowshed and Bear pump stations and up high on the Snowshed there is the Glades booster station and off the Bear feed is the South Ridge booster station. So they are only moving water up and not across.

  9. #29
    machski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northwood, NH (Sunday River, ME)
    Posts
    820
    Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    The further you move water the lower the pressure due to head and friction losses. This is often negated with booster stations. I am not familiar with Sunday River's system but that is crazy if they are currently moving water at high pressure from one side to the other. Of course if that's your only option you deal with it but it is very inefficient.

    Killington has both the Snowshed and Bear pump stations and up high on the Snowshed there is the Glades booster station and off the Bear feed is the South Ridge booster station. So they are only moving water up and not across.
    There is at least one booster station over in Jordan already.

    Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

  10. #30
    Yes, that is Risky Business they are blowing snow on. They are looking to load up the Spruce Triple on Dec 2 and send folks up the hill.


    Getting South Ridge up and running


    Sheesh, do you think they could do something about the crowding and the lines at the lifts?



    Got a dozen runs in before the knees suggested I take a break. I tweaked them the other day. Heading back tomorrow!
    lovin life,

    Bob

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:38 AM.