Sunday River So Far - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Barker trails were crunchy early on, while South Ridge was a lot softer. Might have something to do with 2 rains on Barker and fresh snow on South Ridge..... It was nice being there at 8 AM, no one was up yet!

lovin life,

Bob

There is no more loss for pumping long distances at high pressure c.f. low pressure. The pressure drop is based on distance & pipe characteristics as well as GPM, not pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by doublediamond View Post
    There is no more loss for pumping long distances at high pressure c.f. low pressure. The pressure drop is based on distance & pipe characteristics as well as GPM, not pressure.
    I do not have a degree in fluid dynamics, but from what I have seen, there are a few pretty good bends in the water pipes in varied places. Makes me wonder sometimes if an accountant laid the pipes. On the transfer double between Jordan and Aurora, you can hear the air making quite a bit of noise in the pipes as it hits the 45 degree corners under it when they are making snow at Jordan. Both the air and water go though 45's right under that double. I would think that a slow bend in the pipe would work better than a sudden 45.

Huge expansion of terrain this weekend! Chondi spins up and Spruce 2.0 debuts Saturday along with Tempest Quad and Roadrunner and ski out of GS.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Just an update on recent conditions. Early in the morning, the corduroy is really good everywhere that is open. But when it gets scratched up, South Ridge has deeper and softer snow to play on. Over at Barker, they've had 2 good soaking rains which caused the base to get packed down. There just isn't much to work with snow wise over the base, outside of Cascades. They could stand to spray some "maintenance" snow over those trails, but that would come at the cost of losing terrain expansion. Cascades doesn't get the traffic that Punch does and seems to have a deeper base. I haven't seen rocks and gravel coming up thru the snow as I have around the mid station on Punch.

Other trails at Barker are being set aside for races (Monday Morning and T-2), while upper and middle Punch are being used as a jib park for the kids. We crossed Jungle road to the Jib park and one of the maintainers asked us not to use the launching or landing areas, as they put a lot of work in it for the kids who do play there. We agreed to ski the sides of the trail, out of courtesy, but i also said, sure, but you gotta give us a show on these features! Which he did, with ease! Fun to watch. I thanked him for the show!

Ecstasy has had some mud coming up thru the snow in places, and Right stuff has had a few rocks and gravel coming up just over the first crest.

Over to South Ridge is some pretty decent snow coverage for what is open. And with all they are adding today! It's just getting better! Ski in and ski out of the Summit, via RoadRunner and the White Cap (Tempest) chair.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    Just an update on recent conditions. Early in the morning, the corduroy is really good everywhere that is open. But when it gets scratched up, South Ridge has deeper and softer snow to play on. Over at Barker, they've had 2 good soaking rains which caused the base to get packed down. There just isn't much to work with snow wise over the base, outside of Cascades. They could stand to spray some "maintenance" snow over those trails, but that would come at the cost of losing terrain expansion. Cascades doesn't get the traffic that Punch does and seems to have a deeper base. I haven't seen rocks and gravel coming up thru the snow as I have around the mid station on Punch.

Other trails at Barker are being set aside for races (Monday Morning and T-2), while upper and middle Punch are being used as a jib park for the kids. We crossed Jungle road to the Jib park and one of the maintainers asked us not to use the launching or landing areas, as they put a lot of work in it for the kids who do play there. We agreed to ski the sides of the trail, out of courtesy, but i also said, sure, but you gotta give us a show on these features! Which he did, with ease! Fun to watch. I thanked him for the show!

Ecstasy has had some mud coming up thru the snow in places, and Right stuff has had a few rocks and gravel coming up just over the first crest.

Over to South Ridge is some pretty decent snow coverage for what is open. And with all they are adding today! It's just getting better! Ski in and ski out of the Summit, via RoadRunner and the White Cap (Tempest) chair.
    I'll give them a pass on lack of refresh snow. Weather hasn't really cooperated to make that a worthwhile venture. Of we get the sustained cold the weather folks are talking about, then I expect to see a more balanced approach. They are way ahead of where they were the last two years now in terms of open terrain. Sunday Punch alone is likely to get a remake since they have yet to add anything since they pulled the guns back to their normal location.

I was just chatting with one of my buddies about the great job the River has been doing in providing the early ski season yesterday. We have yet to receive any measurable natural snowfall, and they have 24 trails open with more coming! The River is setting themselves up to be in a pretty good position once we start getting natural snowfall. For now though, there is plenty to ski on!
    lovin life,

Bob

We went skiing today, and wow, was it fast and crisp. The groomers did what they could, but by the time they got to Sunday Punch, their window of opportunity had passed. Mother nature is not co-operating. Skied a little over 3 hours. Almost no one there.

Now onto an issue with the Spruce lift, or rather what is under it. We had noticed that the old haul rope was just left lying on the side of Risky Business and all along Gnarnia. Some of the haul rope was coiled around onto part of the skiing area of Risky business, though it was flat on the ground, so a groomer probably won't wind it around the tiller. Probably.

Just sloppy work, IMO. They could easily have had some of the crew hook onto it with a ATV or their summer track machine (an old tank chassis) and dragg it out, cut it up and sold it for scrap. Eh, that's above my pay grade apparently.

But today, we saw it from an entirely new light. Turns out the cable crosses Lazy River. This was made plain for all to see, because a groomer had tilled the snow and the cable is exposed for a portion right under the lift. 4-6 feet of or so, right in mid trail. Just poor oversight of the job as a whole. I suspect they'll be tackling it somehow. They did put some 8-10 bamboos around it and flagged it.

So, anyways, we are now looking up Gnarnia, as we ride the lift up over several runs. There are 2 places, just below tower 9 and 13, where the cable is held off the ground by logs or rocks, that could trip ups someone skiing down it after a good dump. The snow may well bury it, but I can see some realistic scenarios where a ski would get hooked under it. And then, just below tower 11, there is a cut off piece of the cable sicking uphill at a 15 degree angle or so, maybe a foot off the ground. I see some impalement of shins or thighs with that!

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I'm not so sure I'll be tackling Gnarnia this year, I still need to improve my skiing, but this scares me, more than a little bit. I can see people getting hurt here. Anyways, if you are planning on skiing the river, and in particular, Gnarnia, be aware of the cable left behind. Just below towers 9,11, and 13.

Back to good news. The river plans to blow maintenance snow over a bunch of open terrain tonight! They need to give something to the groomers to work with after this third soaking rain! Trails to have snowmaking are: "Ecstasy, Cascades, Sunday Punch, Risky Business, Right Stuff, and more"!!!
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    We went skiing today, and wow, was it fast and crisp. The groomers did what they could, but by the time they got to Sunday Punch, their window of opportunity had passed. Mother nature is not co-operating. Skied a little over 3 hours. Almost no one there.

Now onto an issue with the Spruce lift, or rather what is under it. We had noticed that the old haul rope was just left lying on the side of Risky Business and all along Gnarnia. Some of the haul rope was coiled around onto part of the skiing area of Risky business, though it was flat on the ground, so a groomer probably won't wind it around the tiller. Probably.

Just sloppy work, IMO. They could easily have had some of the crew hook onto it with a ATV or their summer track machine (an old tank chassis) and dragg it out, cut it up and sold it for scrap. Eh, that's above my pay grade apparently.

But today, we saw it from an entirely new light. Turns out the cable crosses Lazy River. This was made plain for all to see, because a groomer had tilled the snow and the cable is exposed for a portion right under the lift. 4-6 feet of or so, right in mid trail. Just poor oversight of the job as a whole. I suspect they'll be tackling it somehow. They did put some 8-10 bamboos around it and flagged it.

So, anyways, we are now looking up Gnarnia, as we ride the lift up over several runs. There are 2 places, just below tower 9 and 13, where the cable is held off the ground by logs or rocks, that could trip ups someone skiing down it after a good dump. The snow may well bury it, but I can see some realistic scenarios where a ski would get hooked under it. And then, just below tower 11, there is a cut off piece of the cable sicking uphill at a 15 degree angle or so, maybe a foot off the ground. I see some impalement of shins or thighs with that!

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I'm not so sure I'll be tackling Gnarnia this year, I still need to improve my skiing, but this scares me, more than a little bit. I can see people getting hurt here. Anyways, if you are planning on skiing the river, and in particular, Gnarnia, be aware of the cable left behind. Just below towers 9,11, and 13.

Back to good news. The river plans to blow maintenance snow over a bunch of open terrain tonight! They need to give something to the groomers to work with after this third soaking rain! Trails to have snowmaking are: "Ecstasy, Cascades, Sunday Punch, Risky Business, Right Stuff, and more"!!!
    I noticed that too with the old haul rope. They actually cut it into several pieces after they detensioned the base station just after the topple. Most of it is lying flat but I know where you are talking about. The part that sits up over the xmountain airline by 3 Mile after gnarnia's cliff band is disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    I noticed that too with the old haul rope. They actually cut it into several pieces after they detensioned the base station just after the topple. Most of it is lying flat but I know where you are talking about. The part that sits up over the xmountain airline by 3 Mile after gnarnia's cliff band is disturbing.

And the reality is it was lurking there last season for the side country skiing.

Thread Information