Sunday River So Far - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thank-you for the awareness post. Definitely will watch out for that!

Excited for the resurfacing effort. Will be heading up there Saturday I think. Should hopefully be the best conditions of the season thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by uphillklimber View Post
    We went skiing today, and wow, was it fast and crisp. The groomers did what they could, but by the time they got to Sunday Punch, their window of opportunity had passed. Mother nature is not co-operating. Skied a little over 3 hours. Almost no one there.

Now onto an issue with the Spruce lift, or rather what is under it. We had noticed that the old haul rope was just left lying on the side of Risky Business and all along Gnarnia. Some of the haul rope was coiled around onto part of the skiing area of Risky business, though it was flat on the ground, so a groomer probably won't wind it around the tiller. Probably.

Just sloppy work, IMO. They could easily have had some of the crew hook onto it with a ATV or their summer track machine (an old tank chassis) and dragg it out, cut it up and sold it for scrap. Eh, that's above my pay grade apparently.

But today, we saw it from an entirely new light. Turns out the cable crosses Lazy River. This was made plain for all to see, because a groomer had tilled the snow and the cable is exposed for a portion right under the lift. 4-6 feet of or so, right in mid trail. Just poor oversight of the job as a whole. I suspect they'll be tackling it somehow. They did put some 8-10 bamboos around it and flagged it.

So, anyways, we are now looking up Gnarnia, as we ride the lift up over several runs. There are 2 places, just below tower 9 and 13, where the cable is held off the ground by logs or rocks, that could trip ups someone skiing down it after a good dump. The snow may well bury it, but I can see some realistic scenarios where a ski would get hooked under it. And then, just below tower 11, there is a cut off piece of the cable sicking uphill at a 15 degree angle or so, maybe a foot off the ground. I see some impalement of shins or thighs with that!

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I'm not so sure I'll be tackling Gnarnia this year, I still need to improve my skiing, but this scares me, more than a little bit. I can see people getting hurt here. Anyways, if you are planning on skiing the river, and in particular, Gnarnia, be aware of the cable left behind. Just below towers 9,11, and 13.

Back to good news. The river plans to blow maintenance snow over a bunch of open terrain tonight! They need to give something to the groomers to work with after this third soaking rain! Trails to have snowmaking are: "Ecstasy, Cascades, Sunday Punch, Risky Business, Right Stuff, and more"!!!
    Any chance that you mentioned this to someone at the resort? The piece sticking a foot off the ground pointing up hill seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Any chance that you mentioned this to someone at the resort? The piece sticking a foot off the ground pointing up hill seems like an accident waiting to happen.
    Have to say in 15 years solely at SR - it's always like this. Not sure why - if they have confidence the liability waiver covers them? The rope is maybe out of or ordinary - but last year there was a cable all winter eventually marked half ass. When they cut the "new" blind ambition section it was a mess of tree limbs and logs that made it nearly unusable for a few years. After about 5 years husband was close to edge and caught a branch under snow and cartwheeled - one of those bell ringing "wtf was that" falls. Saw it out of corner of my eye lol. All was well luckily. But for some reason they do this all the time. I don't think it requires log removal but rather chainsawing to let things lie flat so they can break down safely and quickly. Frustrating and dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Yes, we did mention it to the patroller marking the cable on Lazy River and the marketing staffer who rode the lift with us. They both said they would bring it up in their next meeting this week. They sounded sincere. I certainly hope they do. And then there is upper management giving the greenlight to this, and having worked there 3 seasons..... I'd like to think this is enough of a safety concern that they will green light the fixes.
    lovin life,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by SkiFanE View Post
    Have to say in 15 years solely at SR - it's always like this. Not sure why - if they have confidence the liability waiver covers them? The rope is maybe out of or ordinary - but last year there was a cable all winter eventually marked half ass. When they cut the "new" blind ambition section it was a mess of tree limbs and logs that made it nearly unusable for a few years. After about 5 years husband was close to edge and caught a branch under snow and cartwheeled - one of those bell ringing "wtf was that" falls. Saw it out of corner of my eye lol. All was well luckily. But for some reason they do this all the time. I don't think it requires log removal but rather chainsawing to let things lie flat so they can break down safely and quickly. Frustrating and dangerous.
    Gimme a break, if you’re in the woods you need to be ready for unmarked obstacles. Not ready? Stick to Lollapalooza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissaro View Post
    Gimme a break, if you’re in the woods you need to be ready for unmarked obstacles. Not ready? Stick to Lollapalooza.

Puhlease...I know the risks - but also know from skiing SR that this was a result of crap left from bad woods clean up on this particular trail. That's all I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissaro View Post

I help clean the glades at my local hill, we take the time to ensure stuff lays flat so skiers don't get caught up on it.

If you are skiing in the woods outside of a marked trail, then yeah what you are saying is true, but it's a marked trail, there should be some effort to ensure things are smooth.

Of course there is always rocks and stumps and stuff, but if the maintainers are cutting the trees, then they should be leaving them in a way that makes sense.

While I agree it would be nice if the mountain cleaned the glades themselves, picking up logs and whatnot during the offseason is another workaround.

Hey folks, I have some pictures today, a little bit of a mixed bag.
    First, A picture of all the fresh blown snow on Risky Business!

and here is the old haul rope and power cable, left on the ground. Sure, this is flat enough to not be a problem, unless a groomer manages to snag it when the trail opens full width.

But this cable is not laying flat. It is on the edge of Lazy River and is a prime candidate to get wound onto a tiller. Or they could blow enough snow to bury it good and deep.

I saw this group of snowboarders out having some fun today.

And I have to say I was surprised at what I saw a moment later. Someone realized they were blocking off most of the trail and got everybody to bunch up on the side. It's not like it was awfully busy, but a good habit to be in!

Just below tower 9 you can see this cable hung over the end of a log or trunk sticking up. It's about a foot and a half in the air or so, and you can see it is just before where someone would ski over that small outcropping of rock.

Maybe this shot shows it better? I can just see someone looking to go right over that edge. If I was a little younger and the knees were in better shape....

The next one is the impaler! LOL!!!! This is just below tower 11. You can see the end of the cable cut off and pointing uphill. Maybe some 16" off the ground(?), just about right to clip your shin just above the boot.

Which brings us across Risky to just below tower 13. You can see the cable suspended in air over some fallen trees. It is running up and down and not across the lift line, but come on... People ski there rather frequently. That little stretch looks like loads of fun to me.

To be honest, these trail hazards are very likely to disappear when the snow is deep enough to ski them. But.... snow doesn't always lay in flat and even, sometimes it's fluffy and your skis are down in the snow a bit.... The odds of anything bad happening are not a whole lot, but it is a realistic possibility. It just reflects some sloppy workmanship, IMO. There is some real value in that cable for scrap. Grab onto it with the summer track machine or use a groomer and yank it out of there, cut it up, toss it in the metal bin and cash it in. Best deal for everybody!

And finally, let me leave you with a picture of one of the things Sunday River does best. Snowmaking!!!

They have blasted maintenance snow over just about everything open in Barker, South Ridge stays pretty decent. If you are planning a weekend trip here, I doubt you will be disappointed! May I recommend a run down Risky?!
    lovin life,

Bob

Love the update! Heading up there this weekend and looking forward to it, though I can only ski Sunday. Expansion plan is into Aurora and Whitecap, IIRC? Will they blow Obsession top to bottom or just complete the hotel ski in/ski out loop and wait to open the full peak until they get both hotels ski in/ski out?

Those hazards do make me a little nervous... though I wonder if the risk is actually any greater than hitting any other number of unmarked hazards in a glade. Either way, I'll be avoiding that until we have PLENTY of snow.

Thread Information