• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

catherine

Essentially, when I practice angulation (trying to make it a habit) I think that I have to put my skis on edge to dig into the ice, then I need to put my weight (body) back over the skis. I used to just lean to dig in the edges, but really had no weight on the skis, so they'd pop loose all too easy. But if I try to lean my ankles (You can't really, but do that motion), you'll push your hips uphill of the skis and the uphill edges into the surface. Lean your body back down the hill to get the weight over the skis. I know, it sounds like I am asking you to do something that sounds like it will tumble you downhill when you are trying to get safe on ice, but it really does work. Practice on dream maker first, obviously.

Today at the River, was somewhat promising. They continue to blow snow and cover up up thin areas, though not quite at the frenetic pace I seem to remember in the past. Crowds were small today and skiing lasted quite a while before things started getting scraped off, notably at the bottom of American Express where it approaches the Spruce triple and Lazy River crosses it. Jordan was on wind hold most all day I was there. The river is rebuilding from before the rain. They were blowing on southpaw like they want to open it now!

I am going to need a lesson! I didn’t see your response till after I got home from SR, but I am going to Attitash tomorrow and will try it. May try and find some videos. Tonight. Thanks for the info!

catherine

From one of my kids perfect turn coaches a few years back I learned the following drill. Hold poles out front so that the bottom of the trail is between them and don't lose site of it as you ski. Forces your upper body to stay in one position pointing down the hill And when I learned it was after a long stretch of dust on crust skiing. I turned into a skidder after 2 months of that crap - got down on myself for skiing so bad. But couldn't figure out how to get out of that habit. I came upon my kid and her group and did the drill with them and voila - back to carving.

That being said - I have a hard time committing to a good carve with ice - I still skid (i.e. That cluster area you talk about lol). But I've used that drill a few times to get my groove back. I was carving full speed GS turns once down cascades and lost edge on tiny patch of ice- flew pretty far and landed on my hip and into a race net (odd they had a cascades race then). I was actually rushing to catch my kids race at bottoms of MM - so picked myself up quick - continued down and then realized how hard I landed. Been a scaredy cat ever since lol.

I’ve tried keeping my upper body facing down the hill but as soon as I get into any trouble, I am a skidder. I’ve actually found myself trying to “float” over ice and wind up sliding with no control at all. I hate ice, unless it’s in a cocktail!

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I’ve tried keeping my upper body facing down the hill but as soon as I get into any trouble, I am a skidder. I’ve actually found myself trying to “float” over ice and wind up sliding with no control at all. I hate ice, unless it’s in a cocktail!

Skis have a turning radius , anything shorter tends to be a bit of skidding unless your lifting the ski to turn . I'm of the opinion if your having fun and enjoying yourself "So What".

As far as ice goes anything that can reflect is not to be turned on ,set and edge traverse it then turn on some crud. Hopefully by then your not in the woods ;-)

SkiFanE

Oh gosh - I can't carve well on ice either. Hate it and don't care to ski it either. So I'll skid. Problem is when it's weeks of skidding during ice spells - I find it hard to get carving again. So I'll do drill to get groove back. I don't sharpen edges often so can't really commit to icey carves. White heat head wall without snow or bumps gives me panic attacks. I have some fear of free falling, and it gets worse every year. I'll lap shockwave with bumps all day - but trails with sheer ice scare the crap out of me. No skidding needed on it all weekend lol.

machski

Carving on ice is tough, especially in more recreational skis with a more recreational edge tune. Racers can carve on that but they are on GS or Slalom specific skis with a fresh edge tune to an edge bevel designed to engage and stay engaged at high turn angles. Most of us do not maintain our gear with fresh edges and no where near the bevel angle the racers do.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

chuckstah

Carving on ice is tough, especially in more recreational skis with a more recreational edge tune. Racers can carve on that but they are on GS or Slalom specific skis with a fresh edge tune to an edge bevel designed to engage and stay engaged at high turn angles. Most of us do not maintain our gear with fresh edges and no where near the bevel angle the racers do.

And the temps look great for making snow today through Friday. Not so good in the weekend.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

catherine

From one of my kids perfect turn coaches a few years back I learned the following drill. Hold poles out front so that the bottom of the trail is between them and don't lose site of it as you ski. Forces your upper body to stay in one position pointing down the hill And when I learned it was after a long stretch of dust on crust skiing. I turned into a skidder after 2 months of that crap - got down on myself for skiing so bad. But couldn't figure out how to get out of that habit. I came upon my kid and her group and did the drill with them and voila - back to carving.

That being said - I have a hard time committing to a good carve with ice - I still skid (i.e. That cluster area you talk about lol). But I've used that drill a few times to get my groove back. I was carving full speed GS turns once down cascades and lost edge on tiny patch of ice- flew pretty far and landed on my hip and into a race net (odd they had a cascades race then). I was actually rushing to catch my kids race at bottoms of MM - so picked myself up quick - continued down and then realized how hard I landed. Been a scaredy cat ever since lol.

Did this, I think, today at Wildcat. Kept the poles in front and could feel myself getting more up on my edges. Need much more practice but it felt good. Also, I felt a bit silly holding my poles like that, I usually use them to start a turn so it didn’t feel natural, but it works!

catherine

Well, I learned a few things! It seems I always do. And I finished the day with a smile on my face!

Going back today to work on one thing. Skiing on one ski to get myself into proper position. Looks like another wind hold day, I'll only need Sundance, the beginner area. I know I lean back when I ski. I also lean forward and everywhere in between. In skiing on one ski, it only works if you are in proper position for turning left and right on each ski and linking them together. I managed to do it some, and at other times, not so much.... When I did it right, it happened so easily, I mean it was almost natural skiing. Yeah, I want some more of that! Bear in mind, yesterday was only the second time in my life that I had ever done the one ski thing. With an instructor I could question about what happened when I splatted on the ground, it became obvious. I never saw the value of this lesson, but I learned the value yesterday. Today, I apply and learn!

I should add that we discussed angulation verses inclination, and the benefits of it, but I had the basics and just need practice (I have the science, now just need to work on the art).

Nice!

catherine

I’m going to take a screen shot of the description so I can try it on a trail. Sounds like you have taken your skiing to an entire new level!

Edd

Maybe a decade ago I was showing someone around SR, and I’d told him Shockwave can be a fun, gnarly, mess of a trail. Conditions were good that day so I was looking forward to skiing it. We get there and it was groomed. I was gobsmacked. I had no idea they ever groomed it.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think the reason they groom it is to basically pack down the snow (only one time). But they also want to give others the bragging rights that they have done shockwave...
Bragging rights should never be an excuse for grooming a trail. Trails like Shockwave, Heat, Agony, Top Gun, Vortex etc, should only see a groomer to start the season and set the base. After that, only after rain/thaw/freeze events.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Or, we get the occasional avalanche as well here:
613da71e5d7534002f4358710070b2bf.jpg
ec7df6a0a8f133c9011c5ed35b0f5943.jpg