• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

catherine

Going away for the ski instruction stuff, o would have loved a ride in the cat grooming ShockWave last night. That must have been terrifying!! Even hooked to a winch, holy crap!

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Bragging rights should never be an excuse for grooming a trail. Trails like Shockwave, Heat, Agony, Top Gun, Vortex etc, should only see a groomer to start the season and set the base. After that, only after rain/thaw/freeze events.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

A different perspective: me, I was thrilled to have done some of the trails that you listed, I mostly remember Vortex and it was an incredible run, groomed. I doubt I would have, check that, I wouldn’t have done it if it was ungroomed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A different perspective: me, I was thrilled to have done some of the trails that you listed, I mostly remember Vortex and it was an incredible run, groomed. I doubt I would have, check that, I wouldn’t have done it if it was ungroomed.
Glad you enjoyed yourself.

But my feeling is a double diamond trail shouldn't be made easy via grooming.

By definition, a double diamond should be very challenging.

SkiFanE

Bragging rights should never be an excuse for grooming a trail. Trails like Shockwave, Heat, Agony, Top Gun, Vortex etc, should only see a groomer to start the season and set the base. After that, only after rain/thaw/freeze events.

No kidding. Have to say they probably needed to groom SW - that once yearly. Hopefully that's it. Was trail of weekend last weekend. Heard it was a shit show of underskilled people skiing it yesterday, no way I was bothering. Only thing really worth skiing was Oz. Underskilled people clogging up the trail too - but it needed an army to help bump it up lol. Every trail is well set up for some natural... have to say I'm getting bored...rare occurance but zippo natural or bumps is getting old.

machski

No kidding. Have to say they probably needed to groom SW - that once yearly. Hopefully that's it. Was trail of weekend last weekend. Heard it was a shit show of underskilled people skiing it yesterday, no way I was bothering. Only thing really worth skiing was Oz. Underskilled people clogging up the trail too - but it needed an army to help bump it up lol. Every trail is well set up for some natural... have to say I'm getting bored...rare occurance but zippo natural or bumps is getting old.
Yup, underskilled on ShockWave yesterday was scary. I think everyone survived which is good (if you got off the groom you were sliding until you hit a hard stop). It was fun but glad I did it first thing when the crowd was lighter on it. Hate seeing it groomed as well (Vortex too and Heat, well we have lost that battle), but if not, even with 4 feet of natural, the frozen ridges of the whales would still be present. Add wind in, may not have even held natural. So, hopefully this is one groom and done and if nature doesn't deliver, it gets another coating from the guns in a week or two.

machski

I finally got to Shockwaye today. They ran a groomer down it last night. Maybe an inch of groomed snow atop hardpack. Not a whole lot of fun. I was hoping for some nice large soft bumps. I guess we'll have to wait for real snow, whenever that cares to make an appearance.

Just some observations about the snowmaking at the River. I see them blowing snow on Airglow, Black hole and Top gun to get them open. I also see them blowing maintenance snow just below the top station of the Chindie, Tourist trap and other places on mountain. I truly appreciate the maintenance snow since the rains have iced up so much terrain. It seems to me that they are not quite as aggressive with the snowmaking as they have been in the past. It's the end of January and only about 2/3 of the mountain is open. Yeah, the rain has caused issues, but they seemed to be able to overcome it in years past. Not really complaining, I am pretty happy if I am able to go downhill. Just trying to call it straight.

Crowds today were minimal, basically ski up to the chair everywhere. Love the mid week skiing!
So they are currently working on Airglow/BH and Top Gun and they just announced Agony and Quantum Leap are next. By my count that leaves just the lower portion of Airglow, Firestar and Eureka to not see Snowmaking yet. Nothing we can do about Natty trails right now. Not sure what more they can do, I would think they might dial up Maintenance recover as the weekend approaches. After what they did got wrecked by Saturday nights NCP, can't say I blame them from going slow on recovering.

SkiFanE

I finally got to Shockwaye today. They ran a groomer down it last night. Maybe an inch of groomed snow atop hardpack. Not a whole lot of fun. I was hoping for some nice large soft bumps. I guess we'll have to wait for real snow, whenever that cares to make an appearance.

Just some observations about the snowmaking at the River. I see them blowing snow on Airglow, Black hole and Top gun to get them open. I also see them blowing maintenance snow just below the top station of the Chindie, Tourist trap and other places on mountain. I truly appreciate the maintenance snow since the rains have iced up so much terrain. It seems to me that they are not quite as aggressive with the snowmaking as they have been in the past. It's the end of January and only about 2/3 of the mountain is open. Yeah, the rain has caused issues, but they seemed to be able to overcome it in years past. Not really complaining, I am pretty happy if I am able to go downhill. Just trying to call it straight.

Crowds today were minimal, basically ski up to the chair everywhere. Love the mid week skiing!

who cares? SR lost Caramba, Ruby Palace, Garnia, Last Tango, Tightwire, crossbow, Locke line, Bims, Hardball and Chutzpah since a few weeks ago. Weather has caused major backslide. By this time of year they are usually laying off snowmaking except for maybe a few maintenance areas that need it or people will die lol. We just need snow. More groomers that are great the first day then turn to another groomed highway of nothingness are a waste of resources (to me). But more people enjoy that nothingness and pay dearly for it - so they will continue I'm sure.

Edd

Just drove up to SR to get shutout by wind holds from White Cap to Jordan. Why they don’t automatically open the bar when the mountain is shut down I will never understand.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Just drove up to SR to get shutout by wind holds from White Cap to Jordan. Why they don’t automatically open the bar when the mountain is shut down I will never understand.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Staffing most likely. Anyway, I just looked, only Aurora and Jordan are showing holds so hopefully you got some skiing in.

Edd

Staffing most likely. Anyway, I just looked, only Aurora and Jordan are showing holds so hopefully you got some skiing in.

Moved onto Wildcat. How long I’m expected to twiddle my thumbs waiting for lifts to open, only Sunday River can say. Opening the bar ain’t hard. There was a guy in there.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
We went up Sat. aft. Decided to wait until Sunday vs night ski. We hit South Ridge to check out the scene. Folks shared they had a great day. Sunday, pfftt...icy mess; crunchy icy corduroy. Most was open initially but quickly Oz closed and later much of White Cap. It was probably my top 5 worst days since starting to board, 5 years ago.

machski

We went up Sat. aft. Decided to wait until Sunday vs night ski. We hit South Ridge to check out the scene. Folks shared they had a great day. Sunday, pfftt...icy mess; crunchy icy corduroy. Most was open initially but quickly Oz closed and later much of White Cap. It was probably my top 5 worst days since starting to board, 5 years ago.
Yeah, sorry. We got R and Freezing R 8pm and on Saturday night. Longer than predicted. Saturday and Sunday we're totally different days this weekend. Glad January is over, we need a reset.

catherine

Thinking about a trip to SR during NH vacation week. How are the crowds normally during NH vacation week?

machski

Thinking about a trip to SR during NH vacation week. How are the crowds normally during NH vacation week?
My experience has been not too busy at all. Of course, we only get the usual midweek lifts that week but it seems to be plenty adequate. I don't really recall waiting in any lift lines during NH vaca week,

Sent from my SM-T900 using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiFanE

. It's quiet that week. But I find even Feb vacation week "quiet" as a weekend warrior - so take that into consideration.

SIKSKIER

I'm not sure how much snow the River got, but what an improvement over Wednesday. Wednesday, there were wind holds and dust on crust conditions and I simply wasn't feeling it. The River is blowing snow on Agony and other places now. Pretty much any actual trail is gonna be open, with the exception of Oz, Three Mile trail and Sluice. Glades and woods trail are lacking in the snow department. 87 trails open, not too shabby, really, when you look at it.

http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report/trail-map

http://www.sundayriver.com/winter/mountain-report

Weather tomorrow is forecast for highs of 18 degrees and the winds slowing to 8 MPH. There were "a few" wind holds today.

SR has has some tough luck on windholds this year.Numerous.Good thing you didnt go Monday as most of the place was on hold again.I see SR finally has some new cams.

Jcb890

Thinking of heading up there Sunday or Monday with our MAX Pass this coming holiday weekend since our Peak Pass is blacked out.