Sunday River So Far - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Lots of nice soft snow today. Smooth skiing. And they are blowing snow all over the place. You can see them getting ready to open more terrain! Crowds were sparse and after first chair, we skied to the lift every time.

lovin life,

Bob

Ski report this morning says (Lower) Obsession and Snowbound will open. I'll have to verify that shortly!
    lovin life,

Bob

What great conditions at the River today. It was windy and got more so as the day wore on. Nice soft snow, bumping up nicely. Around 12:30, they had to shut the chondola down, it was a rocky ride that we took about noon in the cabin. Down draft, just below the chondie was wind scoured, edge-abe terrain. After we turned onto Grand Rapids, it was bumped up snow.

We did take a run down Snowbound and lower obsession. Sign said ungroomed, and it was ungroomed. We handled it just fine. When we got to Heats on, it was groomed from there thru lower Starlight and moonstruck to the "Tempest" lift.

I was playing in the ungroomed section of Risky business and actually, finally, being able to ski that stuff and having a blast, when I came upon a water bar. Ski stopped, but I didn't. Full on face plant in nice soft snow. Back up, ski on and do it some more. I guess I need to watch a little better for the telltale signs of what is below the snow! I pay better attention now and I can see them.... now.....

A great day of fun with friends!

Weather report for tomorrow is every bit as cold with "only" 12 mph winds (today called for 19 mph winds). Yeah, I'll be there!
    lovin life,

Bob

Skied most of what is open today, just didn't get into Aurora.

Fresh snow falling on top of groomed trails made for some nice skiing. Obsession is open top to bottom right now. You can access it thru Snowbound and leave it thru Heat's off off or ski down to the "Tempest" lift. They are blowing tons of snow on White Heat. Give it a week and it'll be open!

On Barker, they've opened up Goat path and Upper Cut with thin cover between Jungle Road and Ecstasy. They were looking pretty well covered up, but in deference to the bottom of my skis, I'll wait for a little more snow. Trails are getting better there. A whole lot less rocks coming up thru the snow as compared to a couple weeks ago. Some natural snow cover adding depth makes that nicer. Right Stuff, Punch, Cascades, Ecstasy, Jungle Road, all skied nice today. We took Lazy River out to Spruce and South Ridge, always a favorite of mine!

Spruce had Risky and American Express and they were skiing nice when we were on them early. That newer faster lift is a little tricky unloading if you are in the right hand seat, but we've learned to watch out for it! We saw some tracks on Gnarnia. Some skiing near the cable I showed in pictures a while back. The River has cut off the one cable that was sticking uphill as a shin impaler, but the two sections of cable suspended off the ground remain. Just below towers 9 and 13, for those who plan to ski or ride there.

South Ridge was nice and soft today. We did a couple runs on Dream maker, Escapade, Grand Rapids, etc.... We tend to use South Ridge to work on our form and practice edging.

Overall, crowding was almost non existent. We skied right to the chair nearly every run, or, horrors, had to get in line behind 2 or 3 groups!!! Snow was nice and soft everywhere, though as it got skied down, you could feel the crust of the base from time to time. About noon it was getting warmer and the snow was packing down, basically snowman snow. If the forecast rain holds off, I am anxious to try out what tomorrow brings after the groomer work their magic tonight!
    lovin life,

Bob

Glad we are getting a bunch of snow. Even the mix will be good to pack the fluff into a base today. Really need it this year at the pace Snowmaking is going. With the December we've had, the place would normally be wide open to the ends and in-between by now.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Glad we are getting a bunch of snow. Even the mix will be good to pack the fluff into a base today. Really need it this year at the pace Snowmaking is going. With the December we've had, the place would normally be wide open to the ends and in-between by now.

Any more official word on what the reason for that is beyond potentially frozen pipes? Is the reduced staff hurting them too? Or is it purely technical?

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    Any more official word on what the reason for that is beyond potentially frozen pipes? Is the reduced staff hurting them too? Or is it purely technical?
    Sounds more like very low staff. I think they like having around a 60 person team for peak season, sounds like they only are staffed to half that.

Hopefully Boyne doesn't just pocket the coming $$ saved from Uncle Sam and instead invests in employees. IE, hard to hire seasonal positions when wages are too low (you can get hired at Dunkin or McDonalds and make more an hour in many locations) and unemployment is super low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Hopefully Boyne doesn't just pocket the coming $$ saved from Uncle Sam and instead invests in employees. IE, hard to hire seasonal positions when wages are too low (you can get hired at Dunkin or McDonalds and make more an hour in many locations) and unemployment is super low as well.

Hopefully this year is a tipping point for them regarding seasonal employees. This year seemed worse and at a minimum it got press attention. It seems everywhere pays above minimum wage now except ski resorts.

Wow!!!! The river is opening up terrain. We basically had no natural snow until mid December, not even winter, and trail count advanced slowly. Not so slow now!!! 82 of 135 trails open. Almost legit one end to the other skiing. ( You need to take the double traverse lift out of Jordan as Kansas is not open quite yet. And the little white cap chair is not open yet, so getting back to the Summit involves some walking).

Years back, I wouldn't plan on starting skiing until christmas, and look at this. 82 trails!

We went today for a few hours. What a crowd! I am spoiled with mid week skiing, this was just like a weekend. Anyways, if anyone has been waiting for decent trail count, it is there now! Have fun!!!
    lovin life,

Bob

Thread Information