• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River So Far

Jully

Yes, the owner and lead chef owns all including the Mountain Room. That is why you can't use SR dining cards there. It is a nice addition, though the Peak lodge gets extremely crowded now. Could have used an addition or 2 I think, but I'm glad we did get what we did.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Aren't there plans to add a second floor/expand it further? Or did those get cancelled?

machski

Aren't there plans to add a second floor/expand it further? Or did those get cancelled?
I have heard it will expand into the overflow on the first floor. Problem is weekends, Peak still draws large crowds for the resort food options (especially kids and the peak sticky buns!). Take more space from standard offerings, makes it all the more crowded. I have never heard of actual sq ft addition up there.

Jully

I have heard it will expand into the overflow on the first floor. Problem is weekends, Peak still draws large crowds for the resort food options (especially kids and the peak sticky buns!). Take more space from standard offerings, makes it all the more crowded. I have never heard of actual sq ft addition up there.

Interesting. I'm probably mistaken. The seating for the cafeteria is definitely noticeably more crowded, IMO, so shrinking it would not go over well, I think.

machski

What a day skiing! Started snowing about 10 AM and fresh snow all day long. I could start to feel my knee about 2:30 so I called it shortly after, was looking to shut down the mountain. What a nice ski day!! 134 trails open today out of 135. Good luck finding the one closed trail!

In other news:
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03...ator-to-owner-of-sugarloaf-sunday-river-loon/
Poma Road or 1500 Road most likely.

jmgard

Went to the River for the first time since the 13-14 season... skied this Mon-Thurs. Wow!!!! Loving the new trails and glades (Gnarnia, Poppy Fields, etc.). Finally got to ski Chutzpah, Ruby Palace, and a ton of other stuff that had always been closed on earlier visits. So much snow everywhere. I will admit I'm still a Loaf fanboy but SR is a really great place, especially with tons of snow and no lift lines...

SkiFanE

Went to the River for the first time since the 13-14 season... skied this Mon-Thurs. Wow!!!! Loving the new trails and glades (Gnarnia, Poppy Fields, etc.). Finally got to ski Chutzpah, Ruby Palace, and a ton of other stuff that had always been closed on earlier visits. So much snow everywhere. I will admit I'm still a Loaf fanboy but SR is a really great place, especially with tons of snow and no lift lines...

nice! I was there Friday. Awesome skiing - but lots of lift closures. Didn't get to Jordan and was dying to. A year without Ruby Palace is incomplete (got it last week luckily). I think Garnia was run of day- filled in nicely. Yetiville was awesome too. Actually - everything was awesome. Weekdayers really don't wander off piste much thankfully lol. Had to do kid stuff today and back out Sunday. Hubby was still finding untracked stashes today.

Edd

Thanks for the report. I read this as Boyne’s never ending lift issues continue.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Jcb890

My crystal ball is a bit fuzzy, but the past few years, it's been a good deal of terrain and skiing available. That's right about when they shut down weekday skiing and go to weekend only, as well as closing down terrain. They need a certain number of patrollers to cover the terrain, and they lose some full timers about then, who go to their summer jobs.
I get Patriots Day the 16th (Monday) off and was debating heading up to SR that day... they should run the lifts the 16th I'd think, right?

Jcb890

Iffy, real iffy.... I skied April 10th, 11th and 13th last year and my notes say slushy.... That was it for me as a mid week bronze pass skier, until May 1st.
I'll judge conditions as they get closer and I realize it may be slushy, we went 4/29 last year and it was really slushy with not much left. Still fun though. As long as its not raining, I'm in. I'm just hoping lifts will spin on Monday the 16th since its kind of a holiday even though most people don't have it off.

Was that the last you were allowed to do as a mid-week skier because they stopped mid-week lift operations?

machski

I'll judge conditions as they get closer and I realize it may be slushy, we went 4/29 last year and it was really slushy with not much left. Still fun though. As long as its not raining, I'm in. I'm just hoping lifts will spin on Monday the 16th since its kind of a holiday even though most people don't have it off.

Was that the last you were allowed to do as a mid-week skier because they stopped mid-week lift operations?
Had been they would open for Patriots Day Monday and then be Sat-Sun only. Part of me wants to say they did not do Patriots day last year though. Watch the mountain report closer to Easter weekend. They should post the operating plan by then if not by next week.

Jcb890

I seem to remember heading to my mother's in NC on the 14th, and there was no more mid week skiing after that. (So I missed out on Friday the 14th that I could have skied.)

It may be different this year, but seasonal staff gets tired near the end of the season and just wants it to be over. Seasonal folks are looking to head to their summer jobs, etc... and get a little break in between. I gotta agree with Machski, I don't think they were open for Patriots day. What also plays into it is that the walk up ski ticket sales are really declining about then. Most anyone still on the mountain are the passholders, and there just isn't much income in it for them. It becomes a tough business decision, look how long our season is, vs. look how little we make staying open like this.
I sent SR a FB message asking them their plans and they responded... quite helpful really. I thanked them.

Sunday River said that April 16th (Patriots Day) will be their last day of mid-week operations.

I will most likely be there since places further South will probably be closed or weekend-only by then and we haven't used any SR MAX Passes yet this season... I'm sure we will though as the S. VT options dwindle.

I'll post in this thread again as it gets closer to confirm I'll be there the 16th and see if anyone else will be there. I'll most likely be solo and don't know SR that well, so if any locals want to take me on a bit of a tour, that would be awesome.

Jcb890

Awesome! Good to know Patriots day is on the table.

If you want a tour, I typically ski out of South Ridge. Look for a black helmet with a Prime Time ski group sticker on it. I used a sharpie to put BOB on the sticker, right over my goggles. Blue jacket, black pants.
I have only ever been to Sunday River once, all they had open for lodges was Barker I believe.
I would be down to meet at South Ridge or on the slopes for a good follow. I can ride just about everything, but I'm guessing woods and natural terrain won't be an option.

Look out for...
6'1" with a good-sized beard, black with green accent helmet, light and dark green Marmot jacket, black Arc'Teryx pants and a 169W '17/'18 Jones Flagship (real-wood looking topsheet, red and black base). If the woods are in play (doubtful), I might bring my 163W Ride Highlife instead to bang off some rocks and stumps.

machski

Awesome! Good to know Patriots day is on the table.

If you want a tour, I typically ski out of South Ridge. Look for a black helmet with a Prime Time ski group sticker on it. I used a sharpie to put BOB on the sticker, right over my goggles. Blue jacket, black pants.
Highly possible it will just be Barker and WH on Patriots Day. Spruce could be in play too but I bet South ridge is closed down. We'll see, with all the March snow, maybe not.

Riverveteran

Passholder BBQ 4/15 full mountain is normally open, could be down to East side of resort Monday 4/16.

Highly possible it will just be Barker and WH on Patriots Day. Spruce could be in play too but I bet South ridge is closed down. We'll see, with all the March snow, maybe not.

machski

Passholder BBQ 4/15 full mountain is normally open, could be down to East side of resort Monday 4/16.
Not even close, last several years it has been North Peak East. Aurora/Jordan/Oz have been closed after first weekend in April. Maybe with Easter early we get the 7-8 fully open but no way we will for Passholder BBQ.

Riverveteran

BBQ is a week later than last year, so that may impact operations. Full mountain was open last year day of BBQ. Weekday cutbacks began 4/3 last year, but reopened West for the weekend.

They were open Patriots Day last year.

Not even close, last several years it has been North Peak East. Aurora/Jordan/Oz have been closed after first weekend in April. Maybe with Easter early we get the 7-8 fully open but no way we will for Passholder BBQ.

Jcb890

Today, I talked with the cook up at North Peak Lodge. They will be open April 1, closed April 2, completely, no weekends, nada. At the North Peak Lodge. He was also pretty certain April 15 would do it for South Ridge.(Passholder BBQ).

That's all I got, other than a short day of harder than usual skiing. Got too much to do today....
What do you think will be available on the 16th? Sorry, not too familiar with SR. Much appreciation on all the info and tips!

Jcb890

Well.... I can't remember all that well, but I do remember last night's dinner! LOL!

Seems to me, the first place to close down is always little whitecap, all the way to the far left of the mountain as you are looking up. And Oz is typically done then as well. Once it starts, it continues. Not so sure of the order after that, maybe Aurora, then Jordan and White Heat. But White heat is a big marketing draw, they try to keep that one open. South Ridge goes sometime as well, along with White Cap (the Tempest lift). They'll announce it sometime soon, I'm sure.
I'm going to send them another FB Message to ask for details... can't hurt, right?

Jully

Well.... I can't remember all that well, but I do remember last night's dinner! LOL!

Seems to me, the first place to close down is always little whitecap, all the way to the far left of the mountain as you are looking up. And Oz is typically done then as well. Once it starts, it continues. Not so sure of the order after that, maybe Aurora, then Jordan and White Heat. But White heat is a big marketing draw, they try to keep that one open. South Ridge goes sometime as well, along with White Cap (the Tempest lift). They'll announce it sometime soon, I'm sure.

Last two are always (at least the last few years) Barker + White Cap (White Heat). I'd bet April 16th has Aurora, White Cap, Barker, Locke (though Locke won't run). Aurora may be closed down for the 16th though.