• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak 2-19-07

random_ski_guy

2/19/2007:

Jiminy Peak:

Packed Powder / Hard Pack / Machine Groomed:

Trip Report:

Decent day at Jiminy Peak, too bad they've groomed 95% of the mtn down to hardpack and serious hard hardpack (ie soft ice?):sad: If there were just a couple more bump runs the skiing would have been a lot more interesting.

Arrived at Noon, had to park at lot A up the road, opposite of that new timeshare (Fairfield something?). Good sized crowd, but I've seen it busier. 97% or so of the mtn was open thanks to the St V. Day storm (only Upper Exhibition was closed - it should have been open). Warmed up on North Glade-Sling Shot-360. The snow was very fast with the top of North Glade wind scoured. Then skied Upper Whirlaway-Lower Exhibition-180. Same thing, top of Upper Whirlaway was a sheet of hardpack/ice thanks to the steady cold wind. Upper Whirlaway has a siginficant snow base and its completely lined with netting from top to bottom on both sides. Must have had some significant racing going on the past week. A combindation of the grooming and snowmaking has taken much of the character out of the run...making it ski fast and vanilla like. After two warm ups I rode the old summit triple to scope out Liftline. Unfortunately mgmt did not mow Liftline this summer (same with Upper Exhihbition) so, while the natural snow felt great, the thickets of 1/4 inch thick scub trees and bushes hampered the enjoyment. Over the rest of the day I managed to ski most of the runs on the mtn. The highlights were; John Hancock (natural snow), Hot Wheels Glade (fun!, a real glade south of central VT!), the left side of Whitetail, the ungroomed right side of Exhibition and the ungroomed left side of Exhibition (under the 6 pack chair). Everything else was fast and a little boring thanks to over grooming.

All day the line at the 6 pack was no more than 5 minutes (1-2 minutes if single), all other lifts except for 180 (beginner chair) had no lift lines. It was a healthy crowd, but well dispersed due to the cold (ie people staying in the lodge) and the mtn being nearly 100% open.

All and all, a good day out. Once the hardpack softens the mtn will ski real well as the coverage is strong. Until then, I recommend finding all the little pockets of natural snow. Those few pockets ski much better because it hasn't been compressed into hardpack (soft ice) by the groomers.

Newpylong

Liftline on Valentine's Day (from my report). Yeah, totally lame with the growth. Couldn't even turn... Same for Upper Exhibition. They actually used to make snow on that every year.

Hawkshot99

I worked in the pro shop there all day. The mountain had tons of people there!(but not as much as yesterday, they set the all time record on the 18th)

I went out for a hour around 7 for about a hour and was loving the snow. It was 5 degrees out but no wind so not too uncomfortable. The snow was super hard, and crazy fast.
Best run I thought was skier's right on North Glade were there was lots of soft.

Demoed some Z9's(PE's had a deep core shot) and those things were very solid at speed, little scetchy at times as they were dull, but still sliced into the hardpack.

skidbump

Maybe you guys should take care of YOUR demo equipment.Shame to charge a customer top dollar for a pair of dull skis.