• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Smellytele

Excellent conditions yesterday after the snow. My wife loves the place and there was soft powder everywhere. After the storm today it’ll be amazing.
If it is soft yes if it is too heavy then no. skied mash potatoes there before and you can't keep up speed on the front face and grind to a halt.

Upper

Question for Mount Snow? After Skiing at Okemo and Riding their Bubble Chair I was Impressed by how Clean and Prestine the Plexiglass was. (Yes I’m aware it is newer than Snows)I recently Skied at Mount Snow and rode the Bluebird the condition of the Plexiglass was deplorable, absolutely filthy Dirty, every chair was in the same shape. Question it is my understanding that the Bubble Chairs are removed every night and stored in the Barn why can’t the employees take time to wipe off the filth? Please take a little pride in your Product.

Edd

Question for Mount Snow? After Skiing at Okemo and Riding their Bubble Chair I was Impressed by how Clean and Prestine the Plexiglass was. (Yes I’m aware it is newer than Snows)I recently Skied at Mount Snow and rode the Bluebird the condition of the Plexiglass was deplorable, absolutely filthy Dirty, every chair was in the same shape. Question it is my understanding that the Bubble Chairs are removed every night and stored in the Barn why can’t the employees take time to wipe off the filth? Please take a little pride in your Product.

I’m not very familiar with So. VT, but I just skied both of these hills this week and this post seems like bullshit.

skifree

unless its brutal out I always flip the bubble.
I would think over time they get beat up.
You seem to be trolling

GregoryIsaacs

hahah what a troll job........I guess we just ski harder than those at Okemo

skimagic

unless its brutal out I always flip the bubble.
I would think over time they get beat up.
You seem to be trolling

No, he's not trolling, it's the truth. I've sat in there watching idiots scrape the bubble or spit their tobacco juice on it, or just sneeze. It gets dirty, simple as that.
I'm sure snow has a cleaning program. People just don't care about other people's stuff or business' equipment.

drjeff

What honestly happens some days, and I'm guessing that today is one of those days, is when any precipitation on the sheaves and sheave trains melts and/or drips, some of the lubricant on them drips down on the bubbles just like we see on the snow below a lift tower or our ski clothing we're wearing if it drips on us.

Could/should they wipe down the outer surface of all 102 bubbles on the Bluebird either as they're put away at the end of the day or put out on the haul rope in the morning?? May not be a bad idea, would probably also add not an insignificant amount of time to the process....

As someone who literally rides the bluebird hundreds of times a season, do I occasionally notice what I'm suspecting the OP saw, which looks almost like bird poop on the outside of the bubble? Sure. Is it a deal breaker for me, vs what the bluebird gives me? Nope

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

This troll must have been at Stratton this morning because this is the exact type of thing I heard in the lift line, in addition to "oh my god I can't have anyone in the gondola with me that is wearing any cologne at all, I'll die!" Or "I need the window seat or I'll puke"... Mount Snow I'm oh so sorry for cheating on you today it will not happen again! Could not believe how snobby people were.

PS. Never have I been in the bluebird and thought jeez this thing is dirty, they're no worse than Okemo.

Sent from my SM-G925P using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Plexiglass bubbles are not new...if they didn't get dirty resorts would keep them. There was a first generation of bubbles on detachables in the late 80s (Vail, Whistler, Mont St. Anne). They get dirty. From my understanding, most resorts removed the bubbles after a number of years because they'd get filthy.

I'm sure Mount Snow will have to replace their bubbles 10 or 15 years down the line. They aged nicely the first 5 or so years but the last couple seasons I've noticed a lot more spots, stains, and scratches.

Jcb890

Well, today didn't suck!

Question for Mount Snow:
Has Cut Off been open yet this season? It was closed once again today, how come?

I may know a person who went down it today... who said it was fantastic, had plenty of base and thought it could have been open.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Well, today didn't suck!

Question for Mount Snow:
Has Cut Off been open yet this season? It was closed once again today, how come?

I may know a person who went down it today... who said it was fantastic, had plenty of base and thought it could have been open.

I don't actually know why it was closed today, but I'll check with patrol on that one. Probably just an oversight. It has been open this season, as we spent a chunk of time with 100% of our trials open.

As for that unnamed person...please remind them to stay out of closed areas in the future!

Jcb890

I don't actually know why it was closed today, but I'll check with patrol on that one. Probably just an oversight. It has been open this season, as we spent a chunk of time with 100% of our trials open.

As for that unnamed person...please remind them to stay out of closed areas in the future!
I didn't see much closed either and it was a great day!

One more question - is Sundance always closed mid-week?

drjeff

Well, today didn't suck!

Question for Mount Snow:

One thing about Cut off that I've noticed at times this year when mother nature HASN'T been as generous with natural snow, is that with the remnants of the blasting of the rock ledge from Long John last summer spread out along there, there's a lot more jagged, decent sized (6-24") pieces of rock at the surface at the entrance to Cut Off than used to be there. That may be a part of why it was ropes up???

Apparently over this coming summer as they're finishing up final grading around the new Carinthia lodge and working on re-establishing the parking lots there, a good amount of those blasting remnant rock that is making up the surface of Long John on the flats between Ridge and Cut Off will be used, and Long John will end up a bit wider than this season, regraded a bit, and maybe seeded in at the surface as opposed to the rocks that it is now... Maybe the entrance to Cut Off will be worked on as well as not only is there the rocks there now, but also the snowmaking pipe for Long John as well

Jcb890

One thing about Cut off that I've noticed at times this year when mother nature HASN'T been as generous with natural snow, is that with the remnants of the blasting of the rock ledge from Long John last summer spread out along there, there's a lot more jagged, decent sized (6-24") pieces of rock at the surface at the entrance to Cut Off than used to be there. That may be a part of why it was ropes up???

Apparently over this coming summer as they're finishing up final grading around the new Carinthia lodge and working on re-establishing the parking lots there, a good amount of those blasting remnant rock that is making up the surface of Long John on the flats between Ridge and Cut Off will be used, and Long John will end up a bit wider than this season, regraded a bit, and maybe seeded in at the surface as opposed to the rocks that it is now... Maybe the entrance to Cut Off will be worked on as well as not only is there the rocks there now, but also the snowmaking pipe for Long John as well

Good insight and info drjeff.

I have noticed the large amount of rocks at the top of Cut Off also. Yesterday was the first time this season I think I have seen them all covered. What do you mean by "seeded in at the surface"? As in turning it into dirt with grass on top as opposed to just rocks?

drjeff

Good insight and info drjeff.

I have noticed the large amount of rocks at the top of Cut Off also. Yesterday was the first time this season I think I have seen them all covered. What do you mean by "seeded in at the surface"? As in turning it into dirt with grass on top as opposed to just rocks?

Yup, a bit of dirt, some grass seed and some hay to help fill in the nooks and crannies between the rocks. Definitely helps on a natural snow (for now at least) trail!!

Jcb890

Yup, a bit of dirt, some grass seed and some hay to help fill in the nooks and crannies between the rocks. Definitely helps on a natural snow (for now at least) trail!!
That makes lots of sense and I believe that is how the top of Cut Off was. Perhaps that is part of the issue they have. If Long John truly is all rocks currently and not filled in as you say, that seems like a waste of snowmaking effort on a trail where you know it needs to be covered well.

drjeff

That makes lots of sense and I believe that is how the top of Cut Off was. Perhaps that is part of the issue they have. If Long John truly is all rocks currently and not filled in as you say, that seems like a waste of snowmaking effort on a trail where you know it needs to be covered well.

Originally, Long John was supposed to be blasted and widened THIS coming summer with the blast remnant rock trucked down to the new Carinthia lodge are and final smoothing and grading of Long John done prior to the start of the '18-'19 season. Apparently they had the $$, as well as the time and the proper personal for blasting were available last summer, so they did that part a season earlier than they were planning, with the knowledge that they'd have to put a bit more snow on Long John this year and then handle the moving of the rock from Long John down to Carinthia next summer to get to the planned end result.

In my mind, I've often thought that towards the end of a snowmaking run on Long John, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they turned one of the guns near the top of Cut Off and pointed it there to put a bit of manmade down over the entrance, or atleast have a cat push a bit of a whale over there. The entrance is often the melt out point that prevents what's usually decent and holds snow well down lower

Jcb890

Originally, Long John was supposed to be blasted and widened THIS coming summer with the blast remnant rock trucked down to the new Carinthia lodge are and final smoothing and grading of Long John done prior to the start of the '18-'19 season. Apparently they had the $$, as well as the time and the proper personal for blasting were available last summer, so they did that part a season earlier than they were planning, with the knowledge that they'd have to put a bit more snow on Long John this year and then handle the moving of the rock from Long John down to Carinthia next summer to get to the planned end result.

In my mind, I've often thought that towards the end of a snowmaking run on Long John, it wouldn't be a bad thing if they turned one of the guns near the top of Cut Off and pointed it there to put a bit of manmade down over the entrance, or atleast have a cat push a bit of a whale over there. The entrance is often the melt out point that prevents what's usually decent and holds snow well down lower
Ahhh, very interesting.
I personally love that little drop there at the beginning of the trail... you can either take it nice and mellow or go a few feet further down and take a steeper drop or launch into it. The rest of the trail always seems to hold snow well.