• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Jcb890

All in all, we think we managed to pull things off pretty well with such a massive dumping of snow.
I agree. The lift delays were a bit frustrating, but I was able to get my fill until my legs wouldn't work properly any more!
As for the parking lot, I didn't think it was that bad at all.

View attachment 23468
Taken around noon on Friday on Exhibition on our Main Face.
We were regularly finding untouched sections of snow reaching up to my chest... I'm 6'1". It was unreal.

skifree

first run Friday dug a lady out of a snow drift in a gully . only a glove sticking out.
snow was deep. dicey situation. enjoy and be careful.
rest day today and reload for sunday.

awesome conditions!!! get at it

Pez

looks like they are currently extending the lift line ropes on the HSQ to accommodate the mob.

SLyardsale

I was lucky on Friday I guess. Rode up Tumbleweed right at 9am to get over to Bluebird. Skied 2 runs off Bluebird and went to Sunbrook and skied a couple of laps on Beartrap which was a hoot. Rode back up Sunbrook (slow) and skied to Northface. Only Outpost was running but the line was not bad - I'd say 5 mins tops and they were starting to spin Challenger which came on line after 1 Northface run. I'd say it was around 10:30 by then. Skied back to the main face and they had Grand Summit up and it was ski on. We also did a few runs off Canyon X with no lines - I didn't even realize it opened late. I skied 9-3pm with a longish break for lunch to let the 2nd dose of Advil kick in. I skied 7:30 - 12:30 today non stop and then the legs gave out. It was crowded at the base but Northface was not crowded at all. Singles line a Canyon X moves fast so the lift crowd at the base was manageable IMO. The summit at noon was crazy crowded though - never seen so many skies parked in front of the Bull Wheel.

Pez

Did the afternoon thing at Snow today. Conditions were great. Everything open. Busy but I lucked in to a fairly close parking spot. Crowded but manageable lift lines. There were actually people over on Sunbrook which was shocking.

Good time. Hopefully this continues for the rest of the month.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ski&soccermom

Epic weekend at Mount Snow. Thanks so much for all you do - we had an awesome time Saturday starting at 7:30 am and today! Crowds were fully manageable if you know the mountain and where to go!

bdfreetuna

It's a fair question to ask.. and should have been already if we didn't kiss reps asses whenever they come on here...

What is Mount Snow's future strategy to mitigate crowds? Crowd control. It's simply not a viable weekend destination for discerning skiers after November.

Is the strategy to just get crowded out on weekends, make a bunch of $, and anyone else can come week days or go elsewhere?

Just curious. IMO now that you've got snowmaking improved, this is clearly the biggest weakness.

If nothing changes you'll still see me on the season margins. I guess it's OK if you're crowded with casual skiers/riders on weekends main season? From a business model I see no problem with that, a constant supply of future customers, if they decide to stay.

Curious on Mount Snow's thoughts on that.

Jcb890

It's a fair question to ask.. and should have been already if we didn't kiss reps asses whenever they come on here...

What is Mount Snow's future strategy to mitigate crowds? Crowd control. It's simply not a viable weekend destination for discerning skiers after November.

Is the strategy to just get crowded out on weekends, make a bunch of $, and anyone else can come week days or go elsewhere?

Just curious. IMO now that you've got snowmaking improved, this is clearly the biggest weakness.

If nothing changes you'll still see me on the season margins. I guess it's OK if you're crowded with casual skiers/riders on weekends main season? From a business model I see no problem with that, a constant supply of future customers, if they decide to stay.

Curious on Mount Snow's thoughts on that. Seems like something Walt would have wanted to address if it ever got to this point.
Sundays it is a viable option. Some Saturdays are too. This weekend everyone knew would be a shit-show after they got almost 40" in 2 days with moderate temps. I'm not trying to defend Mt. Snow - Saturday's lines look just awful.

New England is crowded, period. Plain and simple, there are tons of people and not enough acreage to spread them out. All the bigger resorts have crowding issues.

What is going to solve the issue? Either more acreage or less skiers/riders.

WJenness

That base area is not a good look.

But this is what my friend and I experienced on Friday:

xrispew.jpg

It was just so good...

This is an on map glade, wonder if it looks familiar to anyone here.

BenedictGomez

Yes. While never admitted or stated, yes.

It's owned by a publicly traded company.

What is going to solve the issue? Either more acreage or less skiers/riders.

Babyboomers getting too old and/or departing this earth?

I mean, that's what I've been hearing for the last 20 years, that once the babyboomers cant ski anymore, the ski industry is going to be in trouble. Hopefully that's a failed futurist prediction, but I feel like I've been hearing that mantra forever.