• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

mtsnow123

The equipment for Minus Zero is up. It was cool watching thewebcam progress from about 6:30 AM to around 10 AM when the tractor trailor moved in to hide the view of the main base area.

Jcb890

Conditions were a blast yesterday.

Yesterday was not busy by any means, but due to only the Bluebird running on the main face and no Sunbrook, there was still somewhat of a line at times for the Bluebird. Not much, but a small line.

The North Face was basically ski-on all day.

prsboogie

You've been crushing the conditions reports this year! Keep up the good work.
How many days are you up to?
I've been there 10 days this year and this past weekend was the best! Better than the 33" dump Saturday (just way too many people and lines) conditions were perfect and brewers Fest was a blast. Jeff Touhy Band always delivers and bluebird skies is always a bonus.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
I've been there 10 days this year and this past weekend was the best! Better than the 33" dump Saturday (just way too many people and lines) conditions were perfect and brewers Fest was a blast. Jeff Touhy Band always delivers and bluebird skies is always a bonus.

It really was the perfect spring weekend.
Live music, 100% open terrain, and tasty brews.
What more could you ask for?

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
steeper terrain :wink:

We'll get right on that. Walt was actually working on that back in the day, but it didn't get approved for some reason...:wink:

"Considering his 10 year plan complete after only 8 years, Walt Schoenknecht pitched a new 20 year plan following the 1962-63 season. By the mid-1970s, he planned to have 21 double chairlifts, 6 gondolas, 4 tramways, and 6 trail complexes, with the capacity to handle 40,000 skiers per day. The overall estimated price tag for the development was $75-$85 million. As part of the conversation, he suggested using an atomic bomb to lower the base elevation of part of the mountain, in order to increase the vertical drop."

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/mtsnow.php

Jcb890

You've been crushing the conditions reports this year! Keep up the good work.
How many days are you up to?
Hmmm, let's see...
It looks like 16 times so far for the '17/'18 season with an additional 4 from last Spring.
And thank you, this thread has been great for us to share our info/reports and we all really appreciate the info you guys/gals come here and provide.

The 27" overnight was a Thursday I believe. I do recall hearing that weekend was packed, but that's to be expected. The Thursday wasn't packed and conditions were unreal. Snow up to my chest! (and I'm 6'1")

We'll get right on that. Walt was actually working on that back in the day, but it didn't get approved for some reason...:wink:

"Considering his 10 year plan complete after only 8 years, Walt Schoenknecht pitched a new 20 year plan following the 1962-63 season. By the mid-1970s, he planned to have 21 double chairlifts, 6 gondolas, 4 tramways, and 6 trail complexes, with the capacity to handle 40,000 skiers per day. The overall estimated price tag for the development was $75-$85 million. As part of the conversation, he suggested using an atomic bomb to lower the base elevation of part of the mountain, in order to increase the vertical drop."

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/Vermont/mtsnow.php
Can we get on that right away?!?!?!
That sounds awesome! Well, maybe not the atomic bomb part, but digging out the base for more vert, I'm in! Haha.

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Hmmm, let's see...
It looks like 16 times so far for the '17/'18 season with an additional 4 from last Spring.
And thank you, this thread has been great for us to share our info/reports and we all really appreciate the info you guys/gals come here and provide.

Happy to be on here.
It's been great to interact with everyone and be able to answer questions you all might have and address rumors with facts before things spiral.

KustyTheKlown

and I'd take the steeps of magic or the glades of gore over ripcord and the rest of the north face every single time.

GregoryIsaacs

and I'd take the steeps of magic or the glades of gore over ripcord and the rest of the north face every single time.

Holy crap do you want an award? You add so much great info to this thread. Did mount snow touch you as a child or something?

cdskier

That sounds awesome! Well, maybe not the atomic bomb part, but digging out the base for more vert, I'm in! Haha.

And you can take all the dirt/rocks that you dig out from the base and pile it at the top to add even more vert! :wink:

prsboogie

Hmmm, let's see...

The 27" overnight was a Thursday I believe. I do recall hearing that weekend was packed, but that's to be expected. The Thursday wasn't packed and conditions were unreal. Snow up to my chest! (and I'm 6'1")

With Haystack having troubles, it would be interesting to have it back in the fold again, maybe finally connected??

Jcb890

And you can take all the dirt/rocks that you dig out from the base and pile it at the top to add even more vert! :wink:
Didn't even think of that. Great point! Okay, this seriously needs to happen now.

With Haystack having troubles, it would be interesting to have it back in the fold again, maybe finally connected??
1.53 miles from the closest trail to closest trail and 1.81 miles from the base of Sunbrook to the summit of Haystack... according to Google maps at least.

The length of the Bluebird is ~1.4 miles (7,385 ft), so the length of the lift ride wouldn't be that bad. Would it be worth it though is the real question. Any decent terrain over there?