• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

bdfreetuna

Too many lifts barely used sitting around on Mount Snow. Who knows. Post it on 4Chan somebody will figure it out based on the trajectory of the sun.

drjeff

Ego is my bet. Proper angle to capture the sunrise through a chair from the lower section of exhibition, and not foot rest. That part rules out Sundance, Tumbleweed and Challenger

My 2nd guess would be the Discovery triple, you can get the proper sun angle for a picture like that late season and not have any of the base area buildings in the way, plus the relatively flat angle of the haul rope brings that lift into my guessing realm too

Last edited:

jaytrem

No foot rest Yan, gotta be Ego. Discovery has footrests.

drjeff

Is Ego Alley the oldest lift at Mt Snow? I would think seasons would take the cake

From what I can gather from the lifts installation section of skilifts.org, Seasons is the oldest, "all original" lift still operating at Mount Snow with a 1972 installation year. From what I can gather from the same page, it appears that the lattice lift towers that are used for part of Ego date back to the G2 installation along much of that same lift route in 1969 with the Yan components coming in 1985

urungus

AB399111-981B-4E13-9EC0-17B15F97E2BA.jpg

I guess it’s up to Google, but I would like to see an update to the Mt Snow trail map on Google Maps, particularly the Carinthia Area. Most trails there are not named, and Heavy Metal and Grommett have the old names.

Last edited:

drjeff

View attachment 23999

I guess it’s up to Google, but I would like to see an update to the Mt Snow trail map on Google Maps, particularly the Carinthia Area. Most trails there are not named, and Heavy Metal and Grommett have the old names.

The Narrow Guage labeling by Google in this image, might be because that's the name of the trail under Heavy Metal, and the folks at Google with their *cough* infinite wisdom *cough* of Mount Snow may not of discerned the difference between the trail name and the lift name

cdskier

View attachment 23999

I'm curious whether it really is up to Google or not. I've often wondered why some ski areas have their trails showing on Google Maps while others don't. It isn't based on size of the resort either from what I can tell as MRG has their trails on Google, but Sugarbush does not for example.

skiur

It all depends on if the google car has driven thru the ski area or not.

sull1102

It's up to Google to some degree. If a resort really wanted to have all their lifts and trails accurately laid out by Google Maps, which I think most if not all of the Main Face, North Face, and Sunbrook currently are, they could reach out to the Maps team. The group is partly based out of Cambridge MA so it there's also just the roll of the dice. You can bet if a Google Maps Dev or mapmaker is a passholder at a mountain there's a slightly better chance they will map it out just for their own use and apply the fix to the overall map. Right now Google Maps cannot even get the town name right up here. As of 18 months ago the town of Bennington comes up as Woodford, increasing that small towns theoretical population by over 399%.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

I may have seen somewhere that maybe possibly there's a chance Minus Zero is back in 2019. Rumor I heard was over on the festival side of things not the skiing crowd. The festival goers were asking and someone seemed to suggest "same venue, same weekend as last year" IF this rumor is true I for one am thrilled to see Mount Snow playing a cool role in a much bigger world outside the skiing industry.

drjeff

I may have seen somewhere that maybe possibly there's a chance Minus Zero is back in 2019. Rumor I heard was over on the festival side of things not the skiing crowd. The festival goers were asking and someone seemed to suggest "same venue, same weekend as last year" IF this rumor is true I for one am thrilled to see Mount Snow playing a cool role in a much bigger world outside the skiing industry.

I know the mountain has said that they were happy with the festival. The town said that they were happy with the festival as well. So it sounds like it will boil down to was Minus Zero happy with Mount Snow and the festival and if so, can they make the numbers and logistics work?

sull1102

Everything I am hearing from the festival people is that the crowd, organizers, and Odesza loved the event and how the whole thing was run, fantastic news for the mountain moving forward and setting themselves apart from the competition in a big way.