• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

jaytrem

Any ski resort that has street view of their trail system has paid for it.

Is that true? I just find it hard to believe places like Warner Canyon would pay. They don't even open some years.

bdfreetuna

I'm familiar with the process of hiring the Google 360 photographers and have some knowledge of the API and how it works in relation to Google Maps. It's not directly one of the services I provide but there is some collaboration.

Not specifically familiar with ski resort Google photography but if it's anything like campgrounds and other kinds of recreational resorts/areas typically they'll get mapped out because the owner wants to have 360 views of their establishment. If it's a large enough area that has something resembling "trails" or can be zoomed in on using Google Maps, apparently Google will use the privately chartered mapping to enhance their global Google Map system.

That said I could imagine some private areas are interesting and well-traveled to the extent that Google would want to add them before somebody calls up one of their network of Google 360 approved photographers. Quick search shows this is probably true...

The initiative was announced in 2013 but doesn't explain what arrangements the owners made with Google & their photographers. A lot of logistics and work involved to 360 map a ski resort but maybe it's mutually beneficial for all parties no strings attached.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Hmm... Looking at this more carefully now, it appears the 38 area ski map initiative is not a 360 tour of any ski area. Yes they are added to Google like trail maps in 2D. This would be a totally different process and something a lot easier to imagine Google would just do.

I can't find an example of a resort that's been fully 360 mapped with walking tour style navigation. Anyone have one? Any resort could pay to have it done but it's gotta be pricey. There are some resorts that have 360 views from various vantage points but a full walking tour of the trails -- let me know, I'd like to see it.

bdfreetuna

Just clicked on the MRG one... you can "walk" a few paces but it's far from the whole mountain, seems a small % actually.

I'm not sure... call them up and ask what they paid for it, or if they knew a guy with a 360 camera they traded a seasons pass for some 360s.

The camera operator is clearly riding a snowmobile so it's probably not Eric Schmidt going rogue mapping the world.

Saddleback looks like the same exact snowmobile dude (same helmet) and it looks like you get a small tour of a few trails, give or take. I could probably find out who this photographer is, they're all on a list. But like I said I already know how this works and what I'm seeing confirms my suspicion, so any digging or further time spent on this won't be on my part.

cdskier

Hmm... Looking at this more carefully now, it appears the 38 area ski map initiative is not a 360 tour of any ski area. Yes they are added to Google like trail maps in 2D. This would be a totally different process and something a lot easier to imagine Google would just do.

I can't find an example of a resort that's been fully 360 mapped with walking tour style navigation. Anyone have one? Any resort could pay to have it done but it's gotta be pricey. There are some resorts that have 360 views from various vantage points but a full walking tour of the trails -- let me know, I'd like to see it.

Not sure what you're talking about...the examples I posted a few minutes ago are definitely the "360 mapped walking tour style navigation". They don't have every trail (the mapping is done via snowmobile so obviously there are places they can't go).

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.952...KXbDsS6qw!2e0!3e5!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i38

And requesting a 360 video shoot of your location is a free service from Google (although there's no guarantee they will fulfill your request): https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6260931?hl=en

asnowmobiler

Blue Mountain in Pa. used to have most or all their trails mapped out with 360 street view. I found it one day on their site by accident, now I can't find it on their site and when trying street view on Google Maps, the trails do not highlight. Weird?

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

It looks like someone one a snowmobile took 5 trips up and down the mountain on different trails.

Call 'em up and ask who paid for it or asked for it. I would hate to have made a factually incorrect post on AlpineZone!

Good luck getting your location shot 360 by Google for free. Massive waiting list. Anyway I'm just saying what I know from actually working with these folks on numerous occasions. Probably different situation with some of these ski areas. We can guess and argue all day but I don't care about this, so let me know what you find out.

cdskier

Call 'em up and ask who paid for it or asked for it. I would hate to have made a factually incorrect post on AlpineZone!

Good luck getting your location shot 360 by Google for free. Massive waiting list. Anyway I'm just saying what I know from actually working with these folks on numerous occasions. Probably different situation with some of these ski areas. We can guess and argue all day but I don't care about this, so let me know what you find out.

So let me see if I understand this...you claim they must have paid money to have it done (with no proof). I post a direct link to Google's own website saying the service is free. And yet I'm supposed to call up the areas and ask how they had it done and whether they paid because you don't believe that it could have been done for free?

sull1102

Just saying, as someone with a bit of time at Google, there are many different ways things get done. I believe Whistler has a large amount of the mountain mapped in 360° street view, did they or someone pay for it to be expedited around the time of Olympics? Maybe. Did Google think that maybe they would benefit if they got it done in time? Highly likely. There's also the fact that you or anyone out there can add 360° photos shot on a phone or camera array and also add that to Google Maps as a contributor.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

So let me see if I understand this...you claim they must have paid money to have it done (with no proof). I post a direct link to Google's own website saying the service is free. And yet I'm supposed to call up the areas and ask how they had it done and whether they paid because you don't believe that it could have been done for free?

A direct link to Google! Wow, I guess I really have no actual experience working with 360 photographers and the API and linking up outdoor recreation businesses with photographers and then using them as promotional materials.

Didn't see that direct link to Google coming. Probably shouldn't have opened my mouth!

Tuna has been argumentative the last few days with bad evidence to back up his points.

How do you manage to pull it off full-time? I can only do cranky a couple days a week, tops.

Jully

Blue Mountain in Pa. used to have most or all their trails mapped out with 360 street view. I found it one day on their site by accident, now I can't find it on their site and when trying street view on Google Maps, the trails do not highlight. Weird?

This is really random, but Mt. Ashland in Oregon had a similar snowmobile thing take place on a few of their trails. I imagine this occurred at a variety of other areas too. Very questionable effectiveness of having that resource available in terms of marketing or any other reason I can think of. Who knows though, I do not work in ski industry marketing.

LOL

MountSnow

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.mountsnow.com
Wow, this is starting to spiral. It's a free service. You simply apply, and if you're selected they send you one of their Google Trekker packs. At that point it's up to you to map your area. We were looking into it and in the end ran into a potential policy issue with the United States Forest Service, and so opted not to proceed.

If you want to see what the trails look like, just come out and visit!

Newpylong

To me the far more interesting and helpful thing is just having the trail name and rating overlay on the earth map. If I wanted a picture I would go ski it!

bdfreetuna

Wow, this is starting to spiral.

You should see the other threads.

So "free service" as we already know, depending on waiting list and selectivity (Google would rather map out the big names first), but ultimately you gotta pay someone to cruise around with the packs. If you want to skip the unpredictable waiting list you pay for someone to do the whole thing.

Glad we have that settled and in retrospect 100% worth the argument :lol:

bdfreetuna

To me the far more interesting and helpful thing is just having the trail name and rating overlay on the earth map. If I wanted a picture I would go ski it!

Agree and what would be even more worthwhile would be unofficial lines / stashes added to the Earth map, even if it requires a special link to see.

This can be done with various apps already -- the days of secret stashes are nearly over. Between YouTube, forums and unofficial maps I can find 90% of the goods without even attempting real life social skills. And I'm glad for it. You want fresh lines go ski on a powder day like everyone else. Hidden knowledge reeks of elitism, especially when it's at the exclusion of repeat customers who seek a rigtheous challenge.