• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow: Inside Track

Madroch

2a9b1c26978d7d568af54e7d69ede782.jpg

Not often you get to hit ledge in novie... yesterday was good. Firm but edgeable up top-creamy at the bottom. Reserved was manky but in a good way to keep you from bottoming out. Used GSX all day until they closed it than small wait on the the bluebird for last couple- 4-5 groups.

drjeff

2a9b1c26978d7d568af54e7d69ede782.jpg

Not often you get to hit ledge in novie... yesterday was good. Firm but edgeable up top-creamy at the bottom. Reserved was manky but in a good way to keep you from bottoming out. Used GSX all day until they closed it than small wait on the the bluebird for last couple- 4-5 groups.
As an FYI, ropes were legitimately dropped on Ledge and Challenger today. Snowmaking was hammering Plummet, N.E. Time, Snowdance, Little John, Cooper's Junction, Inferno, Nitro and some spot guns in a few other places today.

Looking like it's going to be a Thanksgiving weekend with the most amount of terrain open at Mount Snow than I can recall in the 20+ years it's been my home mountain

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

With no school for the kids and wildcat closed, looks like we will be at snow on wednesday for the first time in maybe twenty years.

We will figure out where to ski but need help with lunch. Do they have whiskey at the summit or only beer, usually have one bourbon with lunch? How about restaurant food? Kids will eat a burger or hot dog; I will go for chicken wings or seafood.

Thanks, one thing about skiing with kids is once you commit to lunch, you cant bag out.

drjeff

With no school for the kids and wildcat closed, looks like we will be at snow on wednesday for the first time in maybe twenty years.

We will figure out where to ski but need help with lunch. Do they have whiskey at the summit or only beer, usually have one bourbon with lunch? How about restaurant food? Kids will eat a burger or hot dog; I will go for chicken wings or seafood.

Thanks, one thing about skiing with kids is once you commit to lunch, you cant bag out.
Full bar at the Bullwheel at the Summit! Plenty of kid friendly food in the base lodge cafeteria (Market Fresh) or Tony's Pizza in the base lodge - also a good selection of food options in the Country Grand Deli on the ground floor of the Grand Summit hotel

Also don't overlook Cuzzin's in the main base lodge for a family lunch, as there's plenty of family friendly food on the sit down menu there

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

Thanks Madroch and drjeff for the great pics. Was there as well today and really enjoyed the great conditions and expanded terrain. I thought I had hit every open trail, but somehow I missed that Challenger was open? Would have like to have tried that. Even though the parking lots were overflowing, Ridge, Ledge, River Run and even Free Fall were virtually empty. Quite a contrast from last week, when there was a 10-15 minute corral at the base Free Fall. Hopefully the pressure on Long John will be reduced once the new Carinthia Lodge and its parking lot open. From the outside, it looks like the new Lodge still has a lot of work remaining to open this holiday weekend. Saw someone do an inverted aerial off one of the big jumps on The Gulch, is that allowed? I’m always amazed by the abilities of the riders. For lunch the food options at the summit are pretty limited, I would offer a second on Cuzzins, which has better food than the cafeteria in the Market Fresh, and has a great view of the action outside.

urungus

Also suggestion for Mount Snow, given that you are now an aggressive early season player, it would be cool if you offered an early season pass that is good from opening until mid December. Sort of like what Killington does in the Spring.

sull1102

Thanks Madroch and drjeff for the great pics. Was there as well today and really enjoyed the great conditions and expanded terrain. I thought I had hit every open trail, but somehow I missed that Challenger was open? Would have like to have tried that. Even though the parking lots were overflowing, Ridge, Ledge, River Run and even Free Fall were virtually empty. Quite a contrast from last week, when there was a 10-15 minute corral at the base Free Fall. Hopefully the pressure on Long John will be reduced once the new Carinthia Lodge and its parking lot open. From the outside, it looks like the new Lodge still has a lot of work remaining to open this holiday weekend. Saw someone do an inverted aerial off one of the big jumps on The Gulch, is that allowed? I’m always amazed by the abilities of the riders. For lunch the food options at the summit are pretty limited, I would offer a second on Cuzzins, which has better food than the cafeteria in the Market Fresh, and has a great view of the action outside.
Lol at "is that allowed", if you can do it then yeah it's allowed, if you can't then it's highly recommended you not and maybe ride within your limits as the park entry signs say. Just follow the rules of the park and you'll be okay. Cutting across the bottom of kicker landing zones and rails and boxes as I saw many times this weekend is not allowed however.

Totally agree with you about the lodge looking far from ready to occupy. I think even opening Little John will help the Long John situation a great deal up top. One idea I've had is putting up some fencing and splitting the trail in 80/20 with the 80% being for beginners and the other 20 being like an HOV lane to Carinthia until the parking situation changes.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

Lol at "is that allowed", if you can do it then yeah it's allowed, if you can't then it's highly recommended you not and maybe ride within your limits as the park entry signs say.

Cool ... I’ve seen signs at several ski areas stating that inverted aerials are prohibited so I wasn’t sure if the guy was risking his lift ticket as well as his neck.

sull1102

I'll edit in a report later, but WOW WOW WOW TODAY IS INCREDIBLE UP HERE!!!! It's been dumping since 12:30 trees are pretty viable now they've picked at least 3-4 today so far

sull1102

So I was going to post this over on a trip report from today that talked about how insane crowd levels were and the rumors of a 40-45 minute lift line for the bird today... is there anything Sneaux can do even with make believe money? You've got a 6 pack and a detach quad running full speed to the summit, another detach(Canyon) that serves it's own area and can get you out of the base area and over to North Face. I know the plan is Sunbrook detach quad soon, but the issue starts at the base. One pie in the sky idea, replace Tumbleweed/Sundance with yet another detach that would serve a fair bit of terrain.

Smellytele

So I was going to post this over on a trip report from today that talked about how insane crowd levels were and the rumors of a 40-45 minute lift line for the bird today... is there anything Sneaux can do even with make believe money? You've got a 6 pack and a detach quad running full speed to the summit, another detach(Canyon) that serves it's own area and can get you out of the base area and over to North Face. I know the plan is Sunbrook detach quad soon, but the issue starts at the base. One pie in the sky idea, replace Tumbleweed/Sundance with yet another detach that would serve a fair bit of terrain.

Mount Snow is like fly paper for NY'ers and those from CT. I am glad it is there to suck up the masses before they get too far North. :)